Some running sandals advice needed

The Ramzev

Chapter Presidents
Jun 14, 2010
Milford, DE
So I'm in the weight loss contest at work and looks like I'll be the winner. No big deal but I'll end up with ~$35 and I think I'm finally going to get me a pair of running sandals or harruches (spelled wrong but, whatevah...) I want to keep the cost to around the $35, any suggestion or recommendations?

I'll probably only wear them for running twice a year on 2 trail races I do, I really don't have the desire to take the time to train for barefoot trail running. I'll also wear them causually also.

Thanks

luna originals with hemp

luna originals with hemp laces. wait, how gnarly are the trails? i can use mine on the trails but not in mud.

Mike

Check out bedrock sandals as

Check out bedrock sandals as well.

I think you can afford the

I think you can afford the regular Branca Running Sandals.

So how much weight did you lose? You're pretty lean anyway, right?

I believe this is roughly the

I believe this is roughly the price list now (no guarantees):

Invisible shoes -- $25-30

Luna kit -- $25+

Bedrock -- $35

Branca -- $40

Unshoes -- $42+

Not including shipping, which will differ by company. Kits (including Invisible shoes, Luna, and Branca) require you to do some cutting, which can mean rough edges, if you're not quite careful (more important for casual use). Bedrock and Unshoes require you to provide custom measurements, which they use to fit the sandals, themselves (iirc).

(Invisible shoes and Branca are sort of halfway -- they provide a rough fit, but you have to trim the front, especially for Branca. Luna does have custom-fitted options, but not for around $35.)

I only have one pair now, using a standard Luna kit (6mm neoprene soling material). It works well, and it looks fairly decent, although I have to say that I was borderline obsessive about cutting the sandals out of the material. If I hadn't been, they would probably look somewhat sloppy. But that's partially a reflection on the thickness of the rubber (6mm) -- I don't think the thinner Invisible shoes or Brancas would have been as difficult.

All that said, I don't use them on trails. You can choose different soling materials for the Lunas, and the "Trail nubby" is only a little more than the neoprene -- perhaps that would work better? The Unshoes were originally pitched as 'trail'-sandals, too -- thought that's a bit higher than $35.

Just look around and see what's available. Good luck.

just a clarification on the

just a clarification on the Bedrocks:

the regular price is $45. They were $35 for the Kickstatrter project.

They do both custom fit and standard sizes.

I got a pair during the Kickstarter project and I like them so far, although they take some getting used to if you aren't used to wearing sandals (I never really even wore flip flops until recently, so the strap between my toes has been weird). I like the strapping on them a lot (vs. laces, which I haven't tried but never appealed to me), though it does take some time to get the fit just right (but once you get it right they stay that way and you jsut slip them on and off).

Thanks for all the

Thanks for all the recommendations! I'll start shopping around.

TJ, I just wanted to lean down a bit for fall races (10 miler, 10k & 1/2 marathon) I was at 172, working on getting down to 160, I'm to 165. I'm not "dieting" just increasing my run intensity (needed for the 1/2 anyway) and I'm doing Kettleworx 6 days a week. It's working so far...

On a side note I did run the 10 miler Sat. and PR'd by ~ 3 minutes with a 1:21:10. I'm aiming for a sub 1:45 half.

Smelph wrote:just a

Smelph said:
just a clarification on the Bedrocks:

the regular price is $45. They were $35 for the Kickstatrter project.

They do both custom fit and standard sizes.

I got a pair during the Kickstarter project and I like them so far, although they take some getting used to if you aren't used to wearing sandals (I never really even wore flip flops until recently, so the strap between my toes has been weird). I like the strapping on them a lot (vs. laces, which I haven't tried but never appealed to me), though it does take some time to get the fit just right (but once you get it right they stay that way and you jsut slip them on and off).

Sorry for giving the wrong price -- the Kickstarter site was the only place I could find them, so I assumed they were somehow still available through that. My bad.

It's nice how our times come

It's nice how our times come down as our weight comes down.

I've only tried the Invisible

I've only tried the Invisible Shoes, the new material, I forget what it's called, but I was unimpressed. Plus when looking through reviews I found where employees there bashed another Huarache vendor and used a lot of misinformation and that really turned me off on them. I ended up making a homemade pair that are similar to Ted's Original Lunas and I absolutely love them for daily wear and running when it's extremely hot out and I don't want to burn my feet on blacktop. Good luck and I hope you find some that you like. I myself would love to try the Bedrock sandals. They look more normal and so you would probably not attract attention in them if that's important to you.

innocent.png

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon