Since when did running in VFFs equate to running barefoot?

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
Very interesting TJ and I was very happy that this article actually brought up that us being shod in normal shoes for so long has made our feet weak. Most articles overlook that traditional shoes are the initial root of the problem.

This is what ticks me off though.

“The sports medicine literature does report an increase in overuse injuries in runners who transitioned from shod running to unshod.”

In recent years, McConnell has seen several runners for stress injuries, including elite level runners, where the only training regimen change was a switch to minimalist shoe wear.

They say one thing in one sentence and then the very opposite in the very next sentence. It's not unshod running that is seeing a rise in running injuries. It's running in minshoes. As long as they keep calling minshoe injuries barefoot injuries, we will never get to the truth. I'll wager the number of true barefoot runners being seen in the doctors office for an actual barefoot running injury is so small that it doesn't warrant a note in the sports medicine literature. At what point are they going to start calling an apple an apple?

I agree I hate the terms. Regardless a lot of people do try to transition to fast. Look at me TJ, how many injuries have I had in the last year? I don't blame minshoes or barefoot running. I blame myself for enjoying it too much and trying to go too far and I blame regular shoes for doing the damage in the first place and creating this weakness in me. There are a ton of people who try to transition way too fast just like I have. It just goes to show that normal shoes have weakened our species significantly. I wish that people would realize that instead of lashing out at minshoes or barefoot running, I wish instead they would lash out at the normal shoe manufacturers for causing the majority of these problems in the first place. Seems a lot of people don't really care where the root of the problem started though... I wish there was some way to educate people and teach them that running form and footwear choices are very important for their health and their childrens health. I was at the store the other day and I saw this woman wearing what must have been 6 inch heals. They were so incredibly narrow that I thought of the Native Americans, or what ever they wish to be called, who would strap a board to their babies heads in order to deform their heads so that they would have the desireable flat head. These shoes just seem like modern binding to me. Does not serve a purpose except for aesthetics only...

I wish there was some way to educate people and teach them that running form and footwear choices are very important for their health and their children's health.

We have so many goals here, but that's been one my biggest goals for a very long time now, and I hope that comes through in my many messages. I want to prevent people from doing to their feet what the wrong kinds of shoes have done to mine. :( Another goal we have here is to warn people of the TMTS syndrome that plagues many new minimalist runners. I can list so many goals we have here. Our mission statement covers much of it. We have a lot of work to do. sigh.

Hee.

Well...Since BF running has been seen as a profitable movement to co-op
Why do are we encouraged to consume as many "green" products as possible?? an interesting start may be consuming LESS...
Just a thought as I sit here on my PC made in China, writing in a notebook made in Vietnam, and using valuable energy that could power a light for 10 seconds by googling "nomenklatura"
*end rant o_O

This is what ticks me off though.

“The sports medicine literature does report an increase in overuse injuries in runners who transitioned from shod running to unshod.”

In recent years, McConnell has seen several runners for stress injuries, including elite level runners, where the only training regimen change was a switch to minimalist shoe wear.

They say one thing in one sentence and then the very opposite in the very next sentence. It's not unshod running that is seeing a rise in running injuries. It's running in minshoes. As long as they keep calling minshoe injuries barefoot injuries, we will never get to the truth. I'll wager the number of true barefoot runners being seen in the doctors office for an actual barefoot running injury is so small that it doesn't warrant a note in the sports medicine literature. At what point are they going to start calling an apple an apple?

I think that idea here was that transitioning from shod to unshod has that (very long) transitional phase of wearing minimal shoes.

Can't Vibrams insert a disclaimer in their shoes--a piece of paper detailing proper form, transitioning, etc.--and be off the hook legally? And it seems like they don't really need to promote minimalist running anymore. Anyone who's interested in VFFs has probably read up on this stuff, right?

Lee, I thought they had been putting pamphlets with warnings in their shoes the last few months? Anyone know for sure? Who's bought a pair recently and can say one way or another if they received a warning inserted with the shoes? I know they recently added a "barefoot" section on their website. Too bad it's not really about being barefoot but about being in minshoes, but hey, at least they're trying...or did the lawsuit provoke the addition of the new section on their website?

Willie, thanks for trying to set people straight "over there." I don't get much time to spend "over there" anymore, but I do try to post once in a while. Looks like they all just completely overlooked her remark about running barefoot in VFFs, then continued to respond to her as though she were barefoot. Man, that is messed up, especially when barefoot runners can't tell the difference from barefoot and minimal anymore. sigh.

TJ, I don't know, I haven't been in a shoe store for quite some time. My brother got some VFFs last summer, but I guess that would be too long ago. In any case, I wonder if this isn't a transition phase where terms are confused, but in the end there will be clearer definitions and understanding. It seems like this is really becoming a minimalist revolution anyway--people who barefoot walk/run/sit, etc. by preference will probably always be a minority.

Seems like we talk about the whole "barefoot shoes" paradox once every 6 months or so. It never gets any better. Some folks say whatever gives BFR more exposure and others say it confuses the subject. I kind of gave up having much of an opinion on the subject.

All i know is Everywhere I go when I tell people I run barefoot they are shocked that it is actually barefoot. They always assume I mean VFFs without fail.

Reactions: rickwhitelaw
Yes, Lee, we do believe that the majority of change taking place will be towards minimalism and not barefoot. Shame. I am totally grateful that there is change, after all though. But I honestly believe that without the barefoot running movement, there never would have been a minimalist running movement.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7