Shoe advice - Vibram Performa/Jane

tsfairy

Barefooters
Dec 23, 2010
I run barefoot, but I'm training for a 5k that will probably be on rough pavement and will definitely be hilly. The only hilly area near me is an asphalt/gravel trail, or grass strewn with gravel from said trail. I ran on it 2 days ago and my feet are still sore (of course my friend misjudging the distance and going nearly 5 miles instead of 2 did not help!)

I feel like I could use something on my feet for the limited times when I can't be barefoot. My plan is to run this trail barefoot for 1/2 mi or so until my feet can't stand it, and then put something on for the rest of the run. Hopefully I can work up running a full 5k on this crappy trail barefoot. If I can do that, I can do anything!

Right now I run less than 5 miles per week, and I anticipate I'll never run more than 10-15 mpw. At least not any time soon. Has anyone used the Vibram Performa or Performa Jane for outdoor use? They're specifically for indoor use, but with such low mileage could I possibly get some good wear out of them?

I'm also considering a pair of SoftStar Mocs or RunAmocs, which I know will last for quite a while. My feet are too wide for the new Merrell's, and for all water shoes I've tried on.

Oh and my other concern is scalding pavement in the summer. One thin layer of leather works to keep my feet from burning so I know a moc would work, and the Performa would be fine for this. Just again, how will they hold up?

If you are running trails and

If you are running trails and feel you must have a VFF, then the Performa is not the one you want. Many people (including Vibram themselves) say that since there is no sole between the forefoot and heel and because they are made of thin kangaroo leather, they will not last long. You need one of their trail varieties if you want to run in VFFs and run over gravel.

I would recommend huaraches over VFFs, but if you are running on gravel, there's a chance that bits of rock can get in between the bed of the sole and your skin, and that wouldn't be any fun.

As far as just running barefoot on gravel, it's really up to the individual. I have had good runs on gravel that I absolutely enjoyed and bad runs on gravel that I absolutely hated. If you don't want to just gut it out and go barefoot, then I can understand. Just know, that it is possible to do with some dedication, but you have to really want to do it.

I've asked the same question

I've asked the same question about the Moc before. I was also thinking that it was a good tool for the job because of how minimal it is. Problem is that it's an all-leather shoe, even the bottom. You have to have perfect form or else you're going to beat the soles to hell. And at $150 something a pop, I don't think it's worth the risk.

Get a pair of huaraches if you want something really minimal. I saw that the new Luna Equus model is a 2mm Vibram sole. That's barely there...

Thanks for the replies. I was

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping maybe the leather might be strong enough to hold up to a little bit of abuse, but true at over $100 it's probably not worth the risk. They just look so incredibly comfortable.

The toe pocket shoes really

The toe pocket shoes really are over rated. Company can't keep up with demand. So they can't hold stock. This can make them difficult to find model/size you want. If you have to do warranty exchange it is a very long process usually. If store does not have a replacement they ship it to vibram. Then it gets caught in that slow cycle. Quality of product is not so great which increases warranty exchange possibility. It just a over rated product.

For me I'm a BF beach runner. I've decided to start running on trails. The trails have very small crushed rock which is hard to run/walk on. I would never condition my soles enough to run on the rock BF. I have the VFF treksport , and frankly it is way too much shoe. My feet feel to enclosed in them. I plan to sell these shoes soon.

I have decided to go with a build your own invisible shoe sandals. Build your own so I can do alternative tying method. I have not gotten them yet, but I prefer my feet to not be enclosed. As far as BFT luna sandals they are simply way over priced. BYO invisible shoe sandals are keeping it simple at 25 bucks.

I think I'm going to have to

I think I'm going to have to give the huaraches another chance.

I decided to try on some VFF today. The store didn't have the Performa, but I couldn't believe how restrictive the Sprints were. There is no way I can be comfortable in those! I guess I've been spoiled by being completely barefoot for so long. I think the salesguy thought I was a little nuts when I was talking about how stiff and uncomfortable the VFF were. And yeah, supply was really low. They had exactly 2 pair of VFF in my size.

On a side note, I'm still in pain from Sunday's run. My soles took such a beating that I guess I was walking in some really strange positions trying to keep pressure off of them. At some point on the way back I started having a very pronounced pain on the outside of my foot, and it's still pretty bad. Ibuprofen helps a ton, but as soon as it wears off the pain returns. Grr.

I have the performa model. I

I have the performa model. I filled in the gaps on the sole with Shoe Goo, and they are holding up well. I don't run in them though. I use them as a dress shoe for work. I like the VFFs and have 3 pairs. I have the Classics, Sprint, and Performa. My favorite for running is the Classics because they are the most minimal.

I have the Performas,

I have the Performas, Performa Janes, and several pairs of huaraches including the Equus. I do not recommend the Performas or Performa Janes for running outside, they will not survive. They are far less restrictive than the Sprints because their sole pods are thinner and more flexible than the sole of the Sprints.

Although the Equus has a 2 mm Vibram outsole, the cordovan leather is thick and stiff. The sole is not as flexible as the Luna Original or the Invisible Shoe huarache. It depends on what you're looking for exactly in a minimalist shoe. The Equus is extremely comfortable to wear however because the leather footbed feels phenomenal and the elasticized lace is the best huarache lacing material IMO. And for running outside, the Equus is going to last a very long time, which mitigates their $125 price tag.

Okay I'm getting more and

Okay I'm getting more and more sold on huraches, but my DIY attempts have just been such miserable failures that I'm leery of paying $50 to have a pair made and then hate them. Are they really as great as everyone says?

I'm really hoping to build up my soles so I can handle just about anything, but I would like *something* I can put on during longer runs or races if my soles become too sore.

I purchased the invisible

I purchased the invisible shoe build your own. I did a alternative tying method with my own twist. I must say the one run I have done with them on trails so far. I was super impressed. Great ground feel, but protected the amount I want.

I see a few options - BFT luna(expensive and leather), unshoes(less expensive/can't build your own), invisible shoe(customized or build your own/vibram cherry/can create alternative tying method if desired.

I don't like the leather for a few reasons. I don't like unshoes because of thong lacing. Invisible shoe is right on the money for me !

I'd suggest ditch the VFF. They have numerous down sides........

I did it. I ordered the DIY

I did it. I ordered the DIY kit from Invisible Shoe! I have a pair of leather footbeds I think I'll use to play around with different lacing systems. I'm pretty excited. Crossing my fingers they're what I need.

Oh and I visited the race

Oh and I visited the race location yesterday and at least the first part is absolutely awful old beat up chip & seal. This stuff is going to be brutal on bare feet! I'm still going to work on conditioning, but I'm going to do enough training in my new huaraches that I can use them comfortably if I need to.

I have the Invisible Shoes (

I have the Invisible Shoes ( http://www.invisibleshoe.com/) and I will swear by them-- I love them. I run about 40-50 miles a week (30 if it's a track meet or xc race week), and I do plenty of warm ups, cooldowns, and easy runs in them, and I love them. I think they'll be a strong candidate for you, especially if you're lookin for individual customization to your unique foot shape and size. My 2nd toe is longer than my big toe, and my right foot is way more narrow than my left, especially when weightbearing, so the Invisible Shoes are a great fit for me especially because my feet aren't exactly the same size, right compared to left, or same shape, right compared to left. Plus, they're light weight, portable, and fit in any purse or bag you own.

Also, I'm in Boulder, using

Also, I'm in Boulder, using the Invisible Shoes, so we have a lot of mountains and hilly, gravelly, rocky terrain, and I'm fine in the Invisible shoes, so they would work well for you too. Glad you made a smart choice! Enjoy them!

I have new huaraches! They

I have new huaraches! They arrived really quickly - I got my pkg on Thursday but tonight was the first time I had a chance to sit down and make them.

There's just no comparison to my DIY version. I think I'm going to like these a lot.

Does the Luna Sandal Equus

Does the Luna Sandal Equus cordovan leather footbed become more comfortable once you break it in? Because right now it is a lot stiffer and harder than I expected it would be. Has anyone tried both the Original Luna's with the suede top and the Luna Equus? If so how do they compare in terms of ground feel once they are broken in?

Thanks!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7