settled for the Vivo Breatho Trail - UPDATE

Just a heads up. These just came out on http://www.theclymb.com/ for $50. Even at that price, I'll have to pass. If I buy any more shoes or ski boots, I'm going to get the boot.

Dang too bad they only have giant sized, I would have tried them out. I am very leary about VB anymore unless they are really cheap. The sole design of them really turns me off. It makes my foot lean inwards on the neo and evo when I run. Walking they don't bother me though.

Thank you rickwhitelaw! Totally buying myself some Breathos now!

Tristan-OH - nubs wearing down is a problem with any trail shoe that you take on the road. Trail shoes in general have softer, grippier soles. But they don't hold up on asphalt. And they are even eventually worn down by granite. After I retire my Merrell's from the trail, I can typically get another couple hundred miles out of them on the road before they are so holey that my socks are going through them.

Reactions: Abide
How rocky are your trails?

Abide - I don't have the breathos yet, but I have the Neo Trails. (same sole, different upper). Golf-ball sized rocks is a condition where, IMO, the Merrell shoes outperform the Vivobarefoots. The Merrells have a small rock plate in the toe box and the arch doo-dad also protects from golf-ball sized rocks. In the Neo Trails, I have absolutely bent a half my toes back (but not the other half) on a golf-ball sized rock. This is not going to happen with the Merrells. The Vivobarefoots are WAY better for mud and snow, though.

This weekend, I did THIS in the Neo Trails - no Yaktrax.
http://www.winterwild.com/index.php?doc=27_175

Honestly, they performed pretty well. A couple of people with Yaktrax passed me on the way down during the really steep sections, but I placed in the top third of runners - can't really blame the shoes.

Abide - I don't have the breathos yet, but I have the Neo Trails. (same sole, different upper). Golf-ball sized rocks is a condition where, IMO, the Merrell shoes outperform the Vivobarefoots. The Merrells have a small rock plate in the toe box and the arch doo-dad also protects from golf-ball sized rocks. In the Neo Trails, I have absolutely bent a half my toes back (but not the other half) on a golf-ball sized rock. This is not going to happen with the Merrells. The Vivobarefoots are WAY better for mud and snow, though.

This weekend, I did THIS in the Neo Trails - no Yaktrax.
http://www.winterwild.com/index.php?doc=27_175

Honestly, they performed pretty well. A couple of people with Yaktrax passed me on the way down during the really steep sections, but I placed in the top third of runners - can't really blame the shoes.

Yeah that is my problem golf ball sized rocks, so I bought the Altra superiors instead. I can do about two hours on them in my minimus and vff's but then my feet get tired and I can't go fast downhill anymore.

I'd assume its the same with these.

Yeah that is my problem golf ball sized rocks, so I bought the Altra superiors instead. I can do about two hours on them in my minimus and vff's but then my feet get tired and I can't go fast downhill anymore.

I'd assume its the same with these.

How are those on the downhills? Do your toes slam against the front? I tried on Altra Eves, and they didn't have enough structure (IMO) for downhill. My feet just swam forward in them.

And do they make them for women? Doyaknow? Yes, I know, order a mens' shoe smaller, but I have girlie feet - behind my ankle is really narrow.

The Merrells have been treating me quite well, but I lose my 2nd toenail in them. It's happening slow enough that the new nail is able to grow beneath the old nail, so it's not a really big deal, but I'm open to trying other shoes.

I really like them, as long as the laces are tight enough my feet don't slide forward. The trick is to get all the laces tight enough so they hold the foot but don't cut circulation off. I'm curious to see what Rick doesn't like about them. I should warn you they are not a minimalist shoe, the padding is substantial, but they are zero drop and the toe box is wide.

Yes they do them for women and the heel cup is smaller in the female version, at least that is what they told me at the store. My wife had the same problem with her merrels, I'm trying to convert her to the Altra's too.

How rocky are your trails?

I'd say very 'quite' and various. Our 'trails' are more often than not strewn with rocks for traction (for loggers) and against erosion. It's more like 'forest track', I guess. And the rocks can be any ball size: ping-pong, golf, super pinky, tennis,you name it. They can be sharp and pointy, the kind that really hurt, or round and slippery, the kind that send you flying. Should I take pictures? lol

I'm going for a little run in a few minutes. I'll take special note of rock performance.

Edit: did about 6mi through the woods. I went out of my way to land on rocks that I would ordinarily avoid. I could feel them well enough. I'm thinking, if I were to find myself signed up for a 50-miler on really extreme rocky terrain, where I knew I'd be forced to pound the stones the whole route with little relief, I might want a real rock plate under my foot and these shoes might be a little too lightly armoured for the job ;)

Oh yeah, almost forgot this:

Rocks1.jpg

Yep to the first and no to the second, they are pretty flat soled.

Lets page Rick again to see what he doesn't like about them.

Sorry.:) Other than the moral dilemma of a barefoot runner recommending min-shoes let alone, non-min-shoes, I really like them so far. But, I only have 3 running miles in them, so I can't give a recommendation yet.

What I like - removable insole and rockplate (I don't even see the need for using these), zero drop, wide toebox, no tongue (same strechy material as the vivos apparently), slight toe spring (yep, I know this contradicts all minimalist requirements, but with my hammer toe and in a trail environment, I'll get less material rubbing on the tops of my toes.)

What I might not like - they have a slight curve (what's this called? Banana shaped), not bad, very slight. The weight, still a little heavy.

One other note. I have a pair of Lone Peaks that I use for work, size 11, that fit fine. So I ordered a size 11 in the Superior. Too small with the insole and rock plate in. Wish I would have got the 11.5 now.

Sure, no prob. That area is slightly elastic, not too much, not too little. Also, note how I have the laces tucked in; that's because they're huge. Kind of weird, I can't remember having shoes with laces this long before ...
Oh that looks nice. I was puzzled what you meant by no tongue, thought you meant no tongue at all like my Vivo Ultras (well they do have an optional add-in tongue). I like the elastic idea but would they really need laces at all if its elastic?