Running On Consecutive Days

No problem just go easy every other day. Typical week Sunday 3 mi, Monday 3-6, Tu. 6, Wed 3, Thur. 6, Fri 3, Sat 12-20. I always used to skip every other day, but since I've been BF I'm enjoying it enough that I seldom skip a day.

No problem just go easy every other day. Typical week Sunday 3 mi, Monday 3-6, Tu. 6, Wed 3, Thur. 6, Fri 3, Sat 12-20. I always used to skip every other day, but since I've been BF I'm enjoying it enough that I seldom skip a day.
+1 I used to do the same thing when training for marathons. Longer runs or hard efforts two or three days in a row will wear you down fast.

I think it all depends on your level of fitness, diet, how quickly your body recovers. In high school cross country we ran everyday except Sunday. And two of those days were races. For a beginner I'd recommend not especially bare, since you'll need that day not only for recovery but just to see how things feel and evaluate the condition of your foot. I am pretty much still on an every other day routine but mainly out of time constraints. I've done consecutive a few times when I haven't had enough time to get mileage in on one day. But I was careful not to do as much as I normally do on those consecutive days. I hope maybe by this summer I'll be doing more consecutive days.

Reactions: happysongbird
Yah, I've looked into that stuff, and have been doing squats again and "dynamic stretching." a.k.a. mobility exercises (I substitute ankle weights for the elastic bands), and I think it helps, in addition to running faster-paced fartleks.

But my question was more specifically about whether the length of your runs on consecutive days varied much. e

So I'm curious if you or anyone else has experience with this kind of alternation or some similar protocol with respect to ITBS or any other tightness-induced injury.

aahhh....I think Jen is right about this unfortunately. I did try varying the distance of my runs....problem was I was not giving my body time to recover....especially as I was running a pretty quick pace on a consistent basis (quick for me at least).

Funny, to really get over 30mi per week I needed to run a few days consecutively as my max long run was not much over 11mi.

that was just me however

I had a similar schedule in November and December with the exception of a day off after the long run. Loved it. Most of the runs were easy. Now did this schedule contribute to my injury? Possibly, but other factors were involved.

Reactions: barefootn
I had a similar schedule in November and December with the exception of a day off after the long run. Loved it. Most of the runs were easy. Now did this schedule contribute to my injury? Possibly, but other factors were involved.
Rick, I've been doing daily runs for about a year and a half, if I miss a day it dosen't matter. Now that I am marathon training I sometimes have to do two or three easy runs together (when the body starts complaining). I just want to get the long runs in. It's just for fun. With the cold weather it's hard to do BF, most runs are minimal.

Reactions: Zetti
Good point about the marathon training. I believe to have a great marathon (still one of my goals, I would like to improve on my good marathons), one must run at least a few consecutive days in the week to get enough miles in.

I still believe that three quality runs prepares a person to run a decent marathon.
I BQ'ed with just three runs a week, and I wasn't even trying to qualify it just happened...because I am old. Ha!

I still believe that three quality runs prepares a person to run a decent marathon.
I BQ'ed with just three runs a week, and I wasn't even trying to qualify it just happened...because I am old. Ha!

Don't be making old excuses for a BQ, that's an incredible achievement at any age Dama.

I know there are exceptions to being able to do a marathon with three runs a week, but for the average Joe (Rick) runner the math doesn't add up. Say you do a 6,6,18 week. Or even a 8,8,20 week. (also, most marathon beginner's like me won't be doing a 18 or 20 every week) That's below 40 per week. Add just one more run and you are close to 40. Any consensus out there on a mileage base? I know other factors are involved like quality of runs. I was shooting for 40 a week, but was too inconsistent, 50 a couple of times then backing it off to 30, etc.

Don't be making old excuses for a BQ, that's an incredible achievement at any age Dama.

I know there are exceptions to being able to do a marathon with three runs a week, but for the average Joe (Rick) runner the math doesn't add up. Say you do a 6,6,18 week. Or even a 8,8,20 week. (also, most marathon beginner's like me won't be doing a 18 or 20 every week) That's below 40 per week. Add just one more run and you are close to 40. Any consensus out there on a mileage base? I know other factors are involved like quality of runs. I was shooting for 40 a week, but was too inconsistent, 50 a couple of times then backing it off to 30, etc.

At the time, I was running anywhere between 30/35 mpw then when I trantitioned to BFR at maxed up at 50 mpw and I thought that was just way too much running(for me) so I backed up to 40 mpw max.
I haven't followed a training plan when training for a marathon but I make sure I have a nice tempo run of at least seven/eight miles, a hills repeat sesion, or a mid-week medium run like 10/12 mi and the weekend long run which is my very favorite run.
Since I am not training for anything at the moment and coming back from surgery I just run as I feel.
Once the weather warms up everything is going to change as far as running goes...me thinks.

My 2¢... Personally, I think I might have look into one of those fancy minimum-of-a-mile-a-day decades long streaks. I successfully ran every day in December and felt great. This month, on the other hand, I have ran 12 times and just felt all sorts of cattywompus up until running each of the last four days.

This month, on the other hand, I have ran 12 times and just felt all sorts of cattywompus up until running each of the last four days.

Pobrecito :)

Reactions: migangelo and Zetti
Low and slow plans are fine if you just want to complete the race. I did the Galloway plan for my first full marathon, and I only ran 3 days a week. Long runs were every other weekend and build up to a full 26 mile run two weeks before the race. Looking back at my logs, my mileage got up to 35 miles a week on the 'long' weeks, and around 20-25 on the 'short' weeks. I ran a 4:23 and came in 20 seconds behind my friend who trained on Higdon's plan and ran the whole time while I was doing 3:1 run/walk.