Run Commuting

RunningPirate

Barefooters
Mar 23, 2012
Right, then..

Tomorrow I'm going to take a stab at run commuting. The plan is to run the 2.4 mi to the train station BFR, take the train a few stops south, then run the remaining 3.8 mi shod (currently do not have enough BFR mileage to do the whole distance, but the plan is to phase in about 10% more BFR each week). I have a pack for clothes and my lunch and I already have toiletries at work as I normally bike commute.

My question is: Do any of the run commuters out there have any last bits of advice before I grip it and rip it? I am a little concerned about running with the extra weight on my back, so I am prepared to shod up, if I feel I'm starting to tear up a tendon or a ligament or something.

Thankx,

RP

Reactions: NickW
Do you have a shower at work? Some companies have those which is pretty cool and I would totally run commute in that case. Without I sweat too much and get stinky when I sweat. I don't think others around me would appreciate it.

Do you have a shower at work? Some companies have those which is pretty cool and I would totally run commute in that case. Without I sweat too much and get stinky when I sweat. I don't think others around me would appreciate it.

Oh, gawd yes. I would not even consider run commuting (or bike commuting like I already do) unless there was a shower at work. I understand that there is a mythical race of people who barely get moist when they exercise...I think they're part unicorn, or something. Regardless, whatever body chemistry those folks have that allow them to stay dry and springtime fresh, it appears that I have the antidote. On a good day all you need to do to find me is follow the trail of sweat I leave on the ground...also, since I'm Italian, it smells like garlic when I sweat - which is great on Pizza Day, but not so good the rest of the week. Thus, the shower.

Reactions: jldeleon
Nice to know, Matey. o_O

Hopefully, Henry will chime in here too. He does this everyday and runs tons of miles.

My question is: Do any of the run commuters out there have any last bits of advice before I grip it and rip it? I am a little concerned about running with the extra weight on my back, so I am prepared to shod up, if I feel I'm starting to tear up a tendon or a ligament or something.
My experiences with run commuting: The extra weight is not an issue unless you have the right backpack. Mine got loose all the time and drove me crazy, but with a few adjustments it´s fine, I even forget about it. Of course I still try to keep it as lightweight as possible.
As always when you try new things expect some surprises. I found out that the road to my work is especially glass sliver loaden. :(
And until now I´m not completely adjusted to run commuting, it makes me more tired throughout the day. Is this the reason why I´m writing stuff here right now instead of working ;)? Who knows...

I started off running 4.5 miles home 3 or 4 times a week and have now reached the point where I run 5 miles to, and 7 miles from, work most days. I have no goals or training "requirements". I just run at a pace that feels comfortable for the day - on hot, humid summer evenings I'll easily be 12 or 15 minutes slower than my normal pace.

Running with a pack is not a problem so long as it can be tied in tight to your body. The contents tend to settle in the first mile or so but you should be able to tighten it on the move. If the pack moves much it is quite likely to rub you raw - not recommended!

Have fun. I find the whole experience quite refreshing.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts