Ron Hill

While in the UK I had a beer and a chat with Ron Hill an old acquaintance of mine. I was curious to ask him about his early running career where he ran some of his races without shoes.

He mentioned he did some of his track running barefoot, he also ran on cinder track just applying tape to the underside of his feet. It was during a run on a cinder track that he managed to get some glass into his foot that took a while to get out so he kept the shoes on after that point.

He mentioned that he did develop a bunion from wearing shoes and had to have an operation which wasn't entirely sucessful and led to him then having to get some orthotics for his shoes.

Barefoot running in the area where he lives is probably not that practical. Even I was not prepared to run barefoot and used the Vibrams for the first time in well over a year.

The weather in the Manchester area is usually awful, it seemed to be constantly wet, it was either raining, had been raining or was about to rain. The surfaces were slippery and slimy with lots of dog droppings around the place and plenty of mud. I was very glad to get back to Australia and run on some nicer surfaces and in decent weather.

Cheers

Neil

The weather in the Manchester

The weather in the Manchester area is usually awful, it seemed to be constantly wet, it was either raining, had been raining or was about to rain.

Aye.............well....................that's what tha gets fer being on t'wrong side o'the hills. :p

I think we often forget, too,

I think we often forget, too, that back then there were a lot more glass bottles about and the roads were much more dangerous for feet. We are the beneficiaries of the success of the plastics industry.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon