Requesting experience and opinions on carrying water

Guy Montag

Barefooters
Jun 28, 2010
Greetings all,

I made an impulse buy of a camelbak a few months back, the sort that you wear around the waist like a fanny pack, and I have not really liked it. It requires constant adjustment as you drink and combined with the fact that I am soft and skooshy around the middle it is just not a practical design.

I am looking for an alternative and generally I don't like to take much with me running so I am curious as to what other folks use to bring water without interfering with their experience?

I have looked around a bit and Nathan products seem to be well made so i was looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/Nathan-Angled-22-Ounce-5-Ounce-Nutrition/dp/B002ZIEKBA/ref=sr_1_56?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1277918566&sr=1-56

Which is probably a bad idea for the same reason the camelbak is.

http://www.amazon.com/Nathan-Quickdraw-Handheld-22-Ounce-Carrier/dp/B001Q5ROKC/ref=pd_sbs_sg_2

I have only ever seen people using these in pictures. Are these hand-held bottles really all they are cracked up to be? Is there anything about them that is annoying but not obvious at a first glance?

Many thanks in advance for any ideas, suggestions, or advice.

The fist question I'd ask is

The fist question I'd ask is how far are you going to be running?

First off, I would stay away from the heavy waste packs. My opinion but they just are no fun to run with. Go with smaller waste packs, Handhelds or vests.

I just bought me a Nathan HPL #20 and I ran 14 this weekend and really liked it. It was comfortable but after the run I found my arms were a little chaften where they rubbed under the arms. Good pack and comfortable to wear

I own two Nathan Quickdraws and hate them. They leak and don't seal well. It kinda gets irritating to have your water or sticky gaterade all over your hands.

I have a Camelback Quick Grip and love it. Best valce and mouthpiece made. I'd love to have another. Plus it is slightly insulatied.

I also have a Amphipod RunLite It is probably the only waste pack I'd buy other than maybe the FuelBelt. I do like the packet on the Amphipod for an ipod or a few gel packs

Hope this helps

if i'm taking water with me i

if i'm taking water with me i use a camelbak pack. it's a 1.5 liter and gets me through some long runs. my other advice would be to try mapping a course with water fountains in it or run a loop where you can circle back and have water waiting for you.

i personally cannot stand hand helds. they wear one arm out unless you are using two. the fatigue in that one arm can cause form issues that you will not pick up on but they build up over the long haul. on a personal note i find it insanely annoying to have anything in my hands while i'm running. loose and relaxed hands lead to relaxed shoulders and neck when you're running. put something in your hands and all that goes away and becomes tension.

I have hand helds, but having

I have hand helds, but having something in my hand usually drives me nuts. I only use them in 5K races to avoid the mob scene at the water stop (I'm a mid pack runner). I LOVE my Nathan belt with 4 10oz. bottles, a lot like the last two that Lava listed. Nathan has also come out with new tops that are really cool, but I can't find just the tops for sale :-(

One of the things I really like about the 4 bottles is they balance well and I can put different things in different bottles, (I've been known to run with water in two, Cytomax in the third and V-8 in the 4th.)

Almost forgot, when I ran the 24-hour ultra (3.75 mile loops) I kept refilling my hand held with nearly flat Coke, it was awesome.

Quote :Nathan has also come

Quote :Nathan has also come out with new tops that are really cool, but I can't find just the tops for sale

I got to find me some of those cause I like Nathan but the leaky tops are the pits

I love my Nathan handheld.

I love my Nathan handheld. After awhile, you get the muscles so that your arm doesn't get sore. Be careful which one you buy - I picked up my brother's and it was very uncomfortable (different model Nathan). I have a fanny pack - wore it 20 feet before I gave up.

I am running with my

I am running with my quickdraw more and more and am liking it more and more. Sure it leaks a little but I carry water only so no big deal.

I also have the HPL-020 and like it quite a bit. It sloshes a bit at first but then settles down. My only negative about it is how sweaty it makes your back, but then all backpacks are going to do this.

I have been using the Fuel

I have been using the Fuel Belt for 5 years. The bottles are slightly curved so they don't stick into your sides.

+1 on the amphipod handheld.

+1 on the amphipod handheld. I've been using the 20oz one with the pocket for years now. I use it on runs longer than 6 miles. I don't run longer than ten miles at this point, so for me a camelback has seemed like overkill.

The way the amphipod handle is designed seems to take the tension out of holding it. Now and then I'll switch hands, but usually I don't bother.

As for leaks, over the years I've had two bottles that leaked. But my running store let me exchange them, so it wasn't an issue.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon