Recreational Runner, and proud of it

Bare Lee

Barefooters
Jul 25, 2011
Saint Paul
I started running barefoot again last spring, 2011. I got up to three miles within a month, then got top-of-the-foot pain—a stress reaction in my left foot’s metatarsals. After that got better, I made a push from five to ten miles last fall, and got a tiny stress fracture, also in the left foot. It took all winter running just 1-3 miles most outings before that cleared up. Probably should’ve just rested it, but I was getting off on the whole winter barefoot running thing and couldn’t give it up.

So this spring I started slowly building up the distance again, with an attendant focus on increasing pace, and the mets held up well. A little post-run achiness from time to time, but no real pain. So after I had been doing five miles comfortably for some time, three weeks ago I decided to try to push the distance a bit more. Six miles, no problem. Seven, also fine. Eight miles last week at 10 mm pace, and it was a blast.

OK I thought, time to try 10 miles again. It had been 9-10 months since my last attempt. So today I set out, and the first 5-6 miles felt good, I felt strong, and the people along the way seemed especially friendly, almost like well-wishers along a race stage, urging me gently along on my quest for decimal success. Then my left knee started to stiffen up a bit, and soon my legs in general just wanted to stop. Hadn’t felt that urge since I first started getting back in shape. Problem was, I was still 4-5 miles away from my house, and I didn’t really want to walk all that way back, so I stretched out the legs a bit, at several stops, got to 9.3 miles, and then finally gave in and walked the last part home. The last several miles running were not fun, at a plus 11mm pace, which felt terrible. It was interesting though, when I was really feeling fatigued and heavy, I could feel the whole biomechanical chain involved in running very pronouncedly. I could feel the lower back muscles supporting the hips, the hips delivering power as my leg moved underneath and behind me, the hamstring reflexively pulling the other leg forward, and so on. Almost like someone had taken a highlighting pen to my body. I focused all my attention on seizing this sensation to maintain good form and force application, and this helped get me home, both physically and mentally. So that was a useful, semi-Zen-like exercise.

But what the run really taught me is that I’m a recreational runner, pure and simple. I’m someone who runs for fun, for joy. Not the euphoria of overcoming hardship or pain, but the euphoria of feeling one’s body moving well and relaxedly. Not without effort, but without strain. Even when I was having trouble with my metatarsals, I always had fun. So while others may get off on overcoming adversity, pain, testing their limits, or 'just finish'-ing, I say more power to them, but I’m an unabashed recreationalist. A recreational runner, and proud of it.

Great post, Lee! My wife has established the same philosophy and i admire it.

I, on the other hand, have found myself to be a goal runner; I'm perpetually seeking an improvement, whether in time, pace, or distance, or some other intangible, only important or notable to me measure. I am also fiercely competitive, even though mostly with my own past performance. The pushing through hardship, etc. are big drivers for me; they drive me tremendously and I've found that I have a mental strength that surpasses the physical, allowing me to get beyond today what I thought I could yesterday.

I’m a recreational runner, pure and simple. I’m someone who runs for fun, for joy. Not the euphoria of overcoming hardship or pain, but the euphoria of feeling one’s body moving well and relaxedly. Not without effort, but without strain.

Ain't that the ticket?

Reactions: Bare Lee
Lee, part of the fun for me is pushing my fat butt up those hills and testing myself! I don't want to run something though if I'm going to hurt badly for a day or two afterwards. That's just not fun, and if I'm starting to hurt and question quitting during a run I know it's time to quit and go home. I also have no problem with letting myself walk home if I need. That has been slow in developing though, I used to just push through the pain till I got home. Glad to see you are finding what works for you.

The pushing through hardship, etc. are big drivers for me; they drive me tremendously and I've found that I have a mental strength that surpasses the physical, allowing me to get beyond today what I thought I could yesterday.
Yah, I can see that Lomad, but it is something of a trade-off, right? When pushing through hardship, straining, the gratification is delayed. The reward comes later, with a sense of achievement. I'm feeling a bit of that now, even though the run didn't go as I had hoped. I'm glad I found a way to seize the challenge of the last few miles and learn something from it. I accomplished something I wouldn't have, had the run been easier.

And I also have performance goals, both for pace and distance, but I'm willing to take a more gradual approach, so that the gratification is immediate, coming with each step, with each run. Today, during the last few miles, I didn't feel that. I wasn't in serious pain, but it did require a certain amount of mental effort to keep going, and that seemed to diminish the joyousness. I just need to amp things down a bit, stay in the 6-8 mile range for at least a few more weeks until that becomes very comfortable, and then push a bit again, maybe just add a mile more in a month or two.

Lee, part of the fun for me is pushing my fat butt up those hills and testing myself! I don't want to run something though if I'm going to hurt badly for a day or two afterwards. That's just not fun, and if I'm starting to hurt and question quitting during a run I know it's time to quit and go home. I also have no problem with letting myself walk home if I need. That has been slow in developing though, I used to just push through the pain till I got home. Glad to see you are finding what works for you.
Yah, that's why I would distinguish between effort and strain. I'm not saying my running needs to be effortless to be fun, but today I felt real strain, and it wasn't fun. For me the epiphany today wasn't so much finding what works for me, because I have been doing that pretty much the whole time--having fun--but realizing what this means--that I'm a recreational runner, and embracing that. Doesn't mean I won't do a marathon some day, just that I would want to do it recreationally, having fun, not straining just to finish. If I can't do it that way, I'm not interested.

Reactions: migangelo and NickW
When you have desire and passion for something it isn't really that much of a sacrifice :) In my experience anyway.
Ok, now we're just arguing semantics. When I was training karate 4-5 hours a day, I did up to 100o sit-ups a day. It wasn't fun. It was a sacrifice. The gratification came later, with the ability to take body-blows better, which allowed me to fight better, which was fun, because my desire and passion lay there, in fighting well, not in doing sit-ups.

Lee...I try to have this philosophy you described. What I do is try really hard to push my self through pain and hardship, recreationally.....

Wait......did I miss the point?? o_O

Reactions: Sid and Bare Lee
I am a recreational runner for the most part but when I enter a race I give all I got and then some.

Ok, now we're just arguing semantics. When I was training karate 4-5 hours a day, I did up to 100o sit-ups a day. It wasn't fun. It was a sacrifice. The gratification came later, with the ability to take body-blows better, which allowed me to fight better, which was fun, because my desire and passion lay there, in fighting well, not in doing sit-ups.

I think we agree :)

Yah, that's why I would distinguish between effort and strain. I'm not saying my running needs to be effortless to be fun, but today I felt real strain, and it wasn't fun. For me the epiphany today wasn't so much finding what works for me, because I have been doing that pretty much the whole time--having fun--but realizing what this means--that I'm a recreational runner, and embracing that. Doesn't mean I won't do a marathon some day, just that I would want to do it recreationally, having fun, not straining just to finish. If I can't do it that way, I'm not interested.

I've had off days of running, where nothing was coming together, and even after only a few miles my legs and everything would feel twice as heavy as it should. As a recreational runner, to me this seems like par for the course, a day when my body didn't feel like it, and I could just be ok with that, instead of pushing past some goal. Is that what you mean? The way I say it is "not feelin' it today."
Then, conversely, is a non-recreational runner more obliged to stick with the goal, work that ten miles until it is right? Run through the icky feelings rather than walk?
In other words, how would your run (& your reactions to it) have gone differently if you were not a recreational runner?

Lee, I am with you man!! Running is my hobby, my time alone, my time to stay fit, my time of fun. I can completely relate with being in that uncomfortable zone as well, I have runs that are horrible, but after they are done it was a nice little personal experience. My philosophy is keep it fun, but it's healthy to be in a run where it's not going well, experiencing the physical and mental ups and downs. And I am a recreational runner as well!

The first thing I do when I run is thank God that he blessed me with a healthy body that allows me to run.

Yah, I can see that Lomad, but it is something of a trade-off, right? When pushing through hardship, straining, the gratification is delayed. The reward comes later, with a sense of achievement. I'm feeling a bit of that now, even though the run didn't go as I had hoped. I'm glad I found a way to seize the challenge of the last few miles and learn something from it. I accomplished something I wouldn't have, had the run been easier.

And I also have performance goals, both for pace and distance, but I'm willing to take a more gradual approach, so that the gratification is immediate, coming with each step, with each run. Today, during the last few miles, I didn't feel that. I wasn't in serious pain, but it did require a certain amount of mental effort to keep going, and that seemed to diminish the joyousness. I just need to amp things down a bit, stay in the 6-8 mile range for at least a few more weeks until that becomes very comfortable, and then push a bit again, maybe just add a mile more in a month or two.

I'm right with you on this sentiment, though I don't quite see the gratification as delayed. I try to run in the moment, recognizing the benefits of prior hard work while on the current run.

A word about elites and enjoyment v. work: i ran a 216 mile relay last weekend. The elites started last, passing the field through the race to get the finish times in a couple hour window. the elites passed me on my middle leg. My teammates saw them come through the handoff as they were waiting for me. To a one, they hit the transition zone, passed the baton, puked and collapsed. Further, as runners passed/were passed on the course greetings/encouragement were passed by all I encountered except who? you guessed it the 'elites.' I see no pleasure or enjoyment in running that way.

I've had off days of running, where nothing was coming together, and even after only a few miles my legs and everything would feel twice as heavy as it should. As a recreational runner, to me this seems like par for the course, a day when my body didn't feel like it, and I could just be ok with that, instead of pushing past some goal. Is that what you mean? The way I say it is "not feelin' it today."
Then, conversely, is a non-recreational runner more obliged to stick with the goal, work that ten miles until it is right? Run through the icky feelings rather than walk?
In other words, how would your run (& your reactions to it) have gone differently if you were not a recreational runner?
It's hard to say S. Cedastic (what does your moniker mean, anyway?), because I'm not sure someone my age would improve much faster by pushing it. My attempt at 10 miles was simply immature prematurity. I'm sure I'll get there in a month or two, maybe longer, but I want to do it comfortably, without strain. It might have just been an off-day, as you suggest, because the week prior I ran 8 miles at 10mm pace without any strain at all. But with a more gradualist approach, it wouldn't have been an issue. If I stay in the 6-to-8-mile range until it's absolutely comfortably, and I can maintain a 9-10 pace with some effort but no real strain, then even if I have a bad day, it probably won't hit until the end of the run, when walking home isn't a problem. Yesterday the strain hit just after the midpoint of the run, when I was farthest out, so I either had to wake up my wife and have her and the kids come out to rescue me, walk something like five miles, or tough it out and run it, risking minor injury for no real benefit and with the potential to ruin my running for the next week or two (thankfully the outside of my left knee feels OK today, but the top of left foot near the ankle is a little achy--I'll probably take an extra day of rest tomorrow, just do weights and rowing, and do 4-5 miles of hills on Saturday).

Where I think recreational running and more performance-oriented running, elite or not, differ, is in trying to squeeze out that last 10-30 percent of one's potential. With my approach, I'll never realize that last bit of potential, because it involves real sacrifice, training plans, pushing through when your legs tell you to stop, and so on. I still think one day I'll be able to run 20 miles once or twice a month, it's just going to take a while to get there.

Lee, I am with you man!! Running is my hobby, my time alone, my time to stay fit, my time of fun. I can completely relate with being in that uncomfortable zone as well, I have runs that are horrible, but after they are done it was a nice little personal experience. My philosophy is keep it fun, but it's healthy to be in a run where it's not going well, experiencing the physical and mental ups and downs. And I am a recreational runner as well!

The first thing I do when I run is thank God that he blessed me with a healthy body that allows me to run.
Yah, staying healthy is my number one concern. I just passed through a year of three nagging injuries, and I've never had anything like that before in my life. In the past I may have pulled muscle here and there, but nothing that took months to go away. I don't ever want to repeat that experience. I'm fine with some ups and downs in terms of feeling tired, or having heavy legs, but yesterday I felt real strain on the outside of my left knee, and I began to think of all those reports of runner's injuries, the Latinate medical terms and initialisms I've never bothered understanding, like ITBS, and wondered if I was doing something really stupid with short-to-medium-term consequences. It's just not worth it, because all I want to do is recreate. If a run (or a lift, etc.) prejudices that ability, then it's pointless.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon