Recovery Runs: the hair of the dog that bit you?

From what I understand between 30-40mins at a Considerably slower pace than normal is optimal. I guess some time at the recovery effort level is required to ensure that you get a good 'flush through' Any longer than 40 mins and your no longer just doing a recovery run... if its still slow then its supplimental milage. (some would say just mental millage) But as in all things running you gotta find what works best for you.

Reactions: Bare Lee
i did a 5 mile recovery run after our "prepare to die run". REALLY slow. 15-25 beats below my maf pace. felt great afterwards. then again i did wait two days to take it because, yeah, i was that messed up.

sunday i did a little 3.5 mile recovery. ate and slept the rest of the day after that. had some carb flu yesterday on top of that. today did a run mostly at pace and i feel incredible today. so take that for what it's worth.

if you can do it then go for a very easy recovery run to help flush out the system.

Here's one more way that recovery runs might help (assuming that you don't carb back up after the first run).
Running on Empty: Boost your speed and endurance by skipping carbs

I unintentionally did a low carb run this morning and am feeling wiped. With my carb cycling, weekends are when I dine out with the wife and her family, then burn it off on Monday. Didn't dine out this weekend. Oops!

Here's one more way that recovery runs might help (assuming that you don't carb back up after the first run).
Running on Empty: Boost your speed and endurance by skipping carbs

I unintentionally did a low carb run this morning and am feeling wiped. With my carb cycling, weekends are when I dine out with the wife and her family, then burn it off on Monday. Didn't dine out this weekend. Oops!
Thanks Sid. If I can ever consistently run first thing in the morning, then pretty all my runs will be on an empty stomach. It's just weights where I feel best if I've eaten something first, but since I don't do really intensive strength-training these days, I can usually do my weights routine without eating first there too.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon