Possible that running shod has improved my form?

Lomad

Barefooters
Sep 15, 2011
Bear with me..this is not a joke. And, yes, I'm still around:)

As many know I've spent the past few months fighting with a foot injury. Ultimately I gave in and went back to shoes. The "bad" kind. Well, yesterday I was feeling saucy and laced up the huaraches to go for a short run; then, feeling even saucier-er I took off the sandals for about the last 1/3 mile and ran nekkid footed. I could tell my form was better than it had been in quite some time. Things I have considered:

a. I went to a form clinic (Good Form Running) at the local running shop a few weeks back and got some good, tangible feedback and tips about form.

b. I've been so worried about injury (the old shod-related ones from the old days) that I have been crazy vigilant about form, stride length, midfoot/whole foot strike while running in the shoes.

I think this has kept from form complacency and made me a better runner. The weather is gettign better, finally, in my corner of the world and my foot is feeling consistently better; so, I think I see more barefoot or huarache miles in my near future. I'm hesitant to ever make bold proclamations anymore, but I am optimistic...

Run on...

Awesome Lomad! Keep it up man. I am a little over two weeks now of not running. :( My heel is still bothering me a bit. It has started to feel a little better but I think I am just going to ride this out and wait till it's healed. Glad to see you are still running and are improving your form!

I don't care what you wear or don't wear on your feet. I am just glad you are back...and running. Missed you!

I'm still running TJ; and I hadn't left:) I've been lurking a bit as I have no time at all lately. I'm student teaching right now, finishing up my Master's in Teaching. I am up to my eyes in lesson plans, research projects and other assorted "evidence gathering" as they like to say.

I've got to get a follow up with the podiatrist, though, because the time on my feet has given me even more idea that my issue is nerve related. I have to wear "appropriate attire" while in the field (read business casual at least) and I don't have any truly minimal shoes appropriate for the workplace. I did find a pair of Skechers casual shoes that are wide and reasonably flat, I'd guess 4-6 mm drop, but can't afford to get anything else. Certain shoes cause the pain to flare up awfully. I can get it to fade quickly barefoot or in huaraches, or interestingly enough in the trainers I have been running in. My knees on the other hand haven't loved the trainers so much...

Thanks for the feedback to the rest of you!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7