Pains

Colin

Barefooters
May 31, 2012
Alright so I know that it's common to have calf soreness and pain while transitioning to BF'ing or minimalist running. I've been running three times a week in my VFF's and it started out ok, but now I'm getting bad cramps in my calves and what feels like the start of shin splints....any tips on getting past this or something that could help condition me better?

Thanks!

Slow down and really work on your form. If you need to take an extra day off, IT's OK TO DO IT. Your body is telling you to slow down and it needs a break. Ya, none of us want to listen to that (I kept pushing through the pain till I seriously hurt my calf and was off for two months) but we need to learn how to listen to the clues our body gives us. Shin splints I believe is usually because you are striding to far out in front of yourself and are reaching for the ground if I remember correctly (I may be wrong but I believe that is what I was advised a year ago).

Thanks for the advice Nick, I think knowing when to take a break is part of the problem. It's hard to face the fact that I'm a bit out of shape and need to be more cautious with my body at first. I hate being so stubborn at times and thinking and it's just me being a baby...I'd hate to seriously hurt my calf like you did. Something to consider for sure.

Hey! No baby talk here!

Do feel free and easy about giving your body time to reshape and recover between sessions. I'm more than 2 years into the BF thing and still don't feel any need to run every day.

Also, find some way to massage / roll your calves as often as you possibly can. I do this a lot now and should have been doing it back when my calves were really sore through their stiffest developmental period. Rolling is vastly preferable to stretching and you can do it independently of warming up. Try it and you will see and feel the difference! I actually invested in a gadget called "the Stick" which works a treat for me. Lower tech homemade implements like cans or tennis balls work fine, too. There are threads and links in the historical archives here to give you excellent guidance. Go forth and prosper!

Well I'm glad in way to know that I'm not the only person that's had to deal with the aches and pains of running like this. I was starting this think of it as a sign of weakness but it doesn't seem like that's the case....at least not in a bad way lol.

Well I'm glad in way to know that I'm not the only person that's had to deal with the aches and pains of running like this. I was starting this think of it as a sign of weakness but it doesn't seem like that's the case....at least not in a bad way lol.
Yah, as you read through the barefoot forums, blogs, and books, you'll find a successful transition is key to BFR, but takes time, and is highly individual, taking anywhere from almost no time, to several years. Just back off whenever you feel something, and either massage or stretch your feet and calves. Also, consider a healthy dose of barefoot walking on the surfaces you'll be running on, at least initially. It's a good way to build up the plantar skin, and begin toughening up the foot and lower leg.

I second this. I'm now in my third, non-consecutive bout of calf soreness, separated by months.

My calves are also much more defined, and larger than they were. At almost 53, I'm having growing pains. ;)

In my experience as I 'got it' more and more my form would alter and so the load on my muscles as well, causing new bouts of discomfort as I transitioned. Adding speed will also change things up and also make your form suffer.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon