On the Laces of a Dilemma

I agree with Nick. For me, I doing think it is my place to tell other people how to run or what shoes to wear. My Hubby won't ever try barefoot running and I am okay with that. If it were me, I would donate them to a cause I believed in.

Lol. That is the truth! I am in Chicago right now I have gotten away with wearing my yellow Merrell Power Glove shoes every day. Those things really feel nice. I brought Ugg boots but they have stayed in my suitcase thus far.

Reactions: dutchie53
Well, according to information I received from the race organizers today, the charity to which the shoes will be donated is Soles4Souls. I can't see anything objectionable about this organization, particularly since they donate to disaster relief areas where folks probably need shoes just to survive the conditions. So, from a strictly utilitarian point of view, sending my old shoes there isn't too problematic.

I had the same consternation when it came to giving out candy at Halloween. Giving kids little brightly wrapped pieces of sugar and fat doesn''t seem like such a good idea, but I also didn't want to become the house that gave away pencils, either. So, I split the difference and gave Utz organic cheese puffs. There are just so darn few vegan Halloween treats out there. Maybe I've identified a niche business....:)

But if I donate them, am I not being just a wee bit hypocritical if I believe (as I do) that running shoes are the root of all (running) evil?

No - not hypocritical at all. In the same vein as what Nick said, we have our beliefs and others have theirs - it's OK that we all don't agree on whether to wear shoes. What they do with the shoes is none of your concern. Focus on what's important: a) You are in a position that you're able to donate a very serviceable item with no adverse effect on your life, and b) You are choosing to do so. Everything else doesn't matter.

BareLee, Wherever did you find that classic? It's giving me chills, and likely nightmares.
wellconsideringthatyouarethefirstbarefootrunnertoappearinmydreams(bythewayiwokeupanhouragoafterdreamingofbeingpoisoned)ithinkit'sappropriatethatishoulddosomethingtoenteryoursbutreallyijustgoogled'narwhals'andtheirfantabulousalgorithmrenderedthatvideoiknownothingofseaunicornsbutithoughtmyfavoritetreesurgeonshouldhavealookandi'mdefinitelyshowingthatcliptomyaudiovisualfriendsnexttimewegettogetherforanappreciationsession.
Subconsciously,
Bare Lee

You two, get a room.

Reactions: Sid
Well, according to information I received from the race organizers today, the charity to which the shoes will be donated is Soles4Souls. I can't see anything objectionable about this organization, particularly since they donate to disaster relief areas where folks probably need shoes just to survive the conditions. So, from a strictly utilitarian point of view, sending my old shoes there isn't too problematic.

I had the same consternation when it came to giving out candy at Halloween. Giving kids little brightly wrapped pieces of sugar and fat doesn''t seem like such a good idea, but I also didn't want to become the house that gave away pencils, either. So, I split the difference and gave Utz organic cheese puffs. There are just so darn few vegan Halloween treats out there. Maybe I've identified a niche business....:)

Ideas for next year: my kids really appreciated the houses where they received little goofy toys, tiny little things like party favor whatnots that don't cost much, but they thought that was cool, so better than pencils.
They also received some tiny packets of graham crackers as well.

wellconsideringthatyouarethefirstbarefootrunnertoappearinmydreams(bythewayiwokeupanhouragoafterdreamingofbeingpoisoned)ithinkit'sappropriate...Subconsciously...,
Bare Lee

I don't think I approve of all these dreameecumingsandgoings.

Thom, i think if you give out vegan candy, and the kids figure it out, you'll get the trick part of halloween. i know i would've done something to your house at that age.