New BFR from Ohio

Tristan

Barefooters
Sep 15, 2011
Ohio
Hi everyone, new BFR here in central Ohio.

I've just started with barefoot running in the past two weeks. I never thought I would run barefoot before, but recent foot problems had me searching the internet for suggestions and it seemed barefoot running often came up so thought I'd give it a try. I have been using Jason Robillard's Barefoot Running book to guide me through the learning process and so far I am just on my first few short barefoot runs. So far so good.

A little background: I ran cross country in high school and since then have tried to jog a little now and then. I was never really serious though until the past couple years when I got back into racing again. I've been doing 5k's mainly, as thats all I have ever done, but this year I also did my first 10k and loved it. I hope to try a half marathon next year. 5k's are just to fast for me after all these years! I think I'll do better with longer races... my last 5k this past weekend was my fastest since HS at 22:56, which is a far cry from the ~18's I used to run. But I am also about 40 lbs heavier and dont have a coach to push me and two races every week.

22:56 is nothing to laugh

22:56 is nothing to laugh about. That's still a good time, and who knows, you may even get faster now. Welcome!

Welcome Tristan, I would love

Welcome Tristan, I would love to see a 22:56 5km time, I am struggling to get to under 26:00 ;-)

I'm struggling to get under

I'm struggling to get under 28:00. Okay. I'm not struggling. I'm not even trying. Hee.

Thanks fellas. Yeah it was a

Thanks fellas. Yeah it was a struggle thats for sure! My last few 5k's in the last two years were in the 24-26:00 range, so at least I am improving. The sad thing is I dont think I will ever again touch even my slowest HS cross country 5k time, who knows, maybe, but probably not. But I think I really want to start doing longer races. Never even thought about running a marathon before but now I think its on my radar. I'll test the waters next year with a half marathon and see how it goes. Question is will I be barefoot... I havent been out jogging since my race on saturday, but I am going to do a little barefoot jog when I get home this morning (working nightshift this week).

Tristan - Fellow Ohio BF

Tristan - Fellow Ohio BF runner here. I ran the Columbus Half-Marathon this year BF. I'm planning on trying a full one BF next year. I just haven't decided which one yet. Good luck on building up for your half.

Welcome Tristan!

Welcome Tristan!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldManHemingway