"Natural" Podiatry?

Haselsmasher

Barefooters
Apr 3, 2010
Dr. Splichal and the other docs:

The reply Dr. Splichal gave in the recent Post Tib Tendonitis raised the following question in my mind:

Is there a term emerging in the podiatry (podiatric?) community around this *style* of care that involves the use of devices temporarily rather than permanently? My podiatrist has the same mindset - he has given me little wedges and foam pieces (he will frequently use the word 'splint' to emphasize the fact their use is temporary) to encourage certain tissues to rest - so they can heal. But then get out of them so the foot can move normally.

I frequent another forum where injuries are discussed a lot. So many people associate Podiatrists with pushing long term orthotic use it would be cool to be able to describe this temporary device style simply - such as "Natural Podiatrist" or "Functional Podiatrist" or ?. (LOL - that Functional Podiatrist term. That would be a great one. "Uh - I'm a Podiatrist that believes in long-term orthotic use, therefore I'm not a Functional Podiatrist.")

Is the industry/practice area headed in that direction in any way?

Thx.

Jim

Reactions: Dr Emily Splichal
Jim,

i'm not a podiatrist but i know many who deal with runners and are very progressive, using adaptive devices while the foot strengthens.

podiatrists who are actually runners are more in tune here.

Mark

Reactions: Dr Emily Splichal
Love the post Jim! And your "Uh - I'm a Podiatrist that believes in long-term orthotic use, therefore I'm not a Functional Podiatrist." - Hilarious!

I think there definately is an emerging specialty within the sports medicine and Podiatric communities on looking more at movement than isolated joint function. It is still no where near where it needs to be (which is sad) but I think it is getting easier to find more functional-baesd medical professionals.

Unfortunately, the flaw is in the medical schools - movement and functional assessment is just not taught. In my experience, I practice Podiatry the way I do because I attended advanced education programs after I completed podiatry school. :)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts