My stress fracture story

to3y

Barefooters
Oct 12, 2011
I thought I could share my story here and get some feedback and commiseration.

I'm 44. I started barefoot running about 8 months ago. Like many of the barefooters I have met, I caught the bug from the book 'Born to Run'. The case he makes FOR barefoot and against standard thick soles shoes is so convincing, that I started barefoot running before I had finished the book.

Before, I would have thought running was a tedious thing to do. As a barefoot runner it was an experiment. I was not a runner before, so my ramp up was slow, and I feel this helped me avoid the pitfalls barefoot runners fall into when they first start. By the time I was doing any real mileage, my feet had acclimated. I started in Sprints, then moved to Bikilas. I ran a 12k, then 2 half marathons.

My only issue with barefoot was I tended to get blisters and sore feet. Which I thought was an acceptable trade off to all of the other problems shod runner have.

Still, I thought I'd work another shoe into my training routine and got a pair of Merrell trail gloves. After 3 days resting after running my last half, I thought I would try a couple miles in the Merrells.

That night I started noticing pains in the top of my foot, near the metatarsals. Most aches and pains get better with rest, but this felt a bit different. The pain started to get worse, and I started to fear it might be a stress fracture.

Cut to emergency room visit and an xray. The ER doc said the xray looked ok, but admitted general docs find the foot a mystery. He gave me a referral to podiatrist.

The podiatrist was a young man. I told him how long I'd been running, and brought in my shoes to show him. I asked him the question i was dreading:

“Are we going to look back at barefoot running in a couple of years and say what were we thinking?"

He said, "We already have."

I expected there would be differences in opinions, and that if I saw a couple of podiatrists and sports medicine docs, I could eventually find one that fit more of my "world view". But this doctor, trained in sports medicine was young, and seemed open minded . He told me in talking with his peers, and at conferences, the consensus is 100% in agreement. Barefoot is bad. And by extension, barefoot is good for their practices. Even though the first doc gave my xray a pass, the podiatrist said early stress fractures can be hard to see without a MRI, and if they get worse, they can lead to more serious issues and longer recovery time. He used the terms Stress Response and Stress Fracture. He landed on Fracture to impress upon me some seriousness.

The podiatrist showed me my foot structure, my high arc translated to the area causing me pain was getting the brunt of the impact. I probably run about 25 miles a week... and I am not fast. So I don't fit the profile of the leet runner who straps on a pair of five fingers and goes overboard and gets hurt. So this was unexpected.

Cut to his recommendation...skip the half I was planning for the end of the month. Rest for a month then get a pair of thick soles, conventional shoes with orthotics.

So... I feel a bit bummed. Running on a wedge of rubber doesn’t seem like it will give me the same experience. And not sure if it will address my issues or just create new ones.

I don't want to ignore this medical advise, but I kind feel like this with be a all of nothing decision.

Thoughts?

Do you always run shod in the

Do you always run shod in the vff? Do you ever actually run barefoot? If you get blisters you are doing something wrong or your feet haven't acclimated to the distance yet when you are truly barefoot. If you continue past the distance that your soles can do barefoot you risk hurting yourself. That is where a lot of people make mistakes in their logic. Many people run farther than their body is ready for because of wearing shoes, and yes vff's, huaraches, and any other minimalist shoe are indeed shoes. People are not barefoot while in those, they are shod.

Your podiatrist sounds like mine. He told me that I would never be able to run or walk without pain unless I had a normal shoe with his custom orthotics because of degenerative arthritis in my foot. It's funny, but my feet starting hurting more after I followed his advice. I have zero pain now that I've been barefooting for 6ish months. In fact the pain went away almost instantly when I switched to barefoot.

I'm sorry you had the misfortune to get hurt and hope you heal quickly.

Sorry about your injury and

Sorry about your injury and frustration, first of all. That bites. I am, however, confused. Have you ever ran barefoot? I keep reading shoes, shoes, shoes in your post, but you and this podiatrist are blaming barefoot running for this, even after presenting him with shoes to look at.

Welcome.

Hello and thanks for the

Hello and thanks for the feedback !

Since I began running, I had been wearing vibram five fingers-- so not completely barefoot. I havent worn conventional shoes. My podiatrist thought I had run a lot in 8 months, and his opinion was stress and shock over time caused my foot pain. As for the blisters, I'd get them on the outside of the ball of my foot, if i ran 3 miles, or 5 or 10. I could always count of them.

I switched to completely

I switched to completely barefoot exactly because I could tell I was still hitting too hard with Vibrams and other minimalist shoes. I was even doing all my dancing totally barefoot until last weekend, when I wore Moc3's to dance because it was a little cooler. I wish I hadn't because I ended up bruising my left foot due to not having the sensation of my bare soles to moderate impact. Now I don't know if I'll be healed for my run tomorrow. Grrr. Completely barefoot has it's hazards, but it's not what most people think they are.

Happysongbird, I too notice

Happysongbird, I too notice things are different in my stride and I have a loss of sensation of the ground and what my feet are doing when I wear my huaraches. My feet don't fit into vff's so I can't/don't wear those. When I do wear my huaraches, I never run more than what I can when I'm barefoot and I never run faster than what I can barefoot. May seem silly to most, but I figure if I can't run that far or fast barefoot then my body isn't ready for it yet. I also only use them when I have cuts or blisters on my feet that I am trying to let heal from previous runs. I use them as a tool only.

To3y, just because your doc

To3y,

just because your doc is young doesn't mean he's progressive. it's not young guys teaching young guys. it's old ideas teaching the young guys. so yes, of course he is going to be against bf running, even though you weren't bf. sorry, there is no kinda bf. just like there is no kinda pregnant. you either are or aren't. no in between.

injury sucks. you have to deal with it now. take this time to read and learn about proper form. learn some patience. i've been running for nearly two years now. i have yet to run a half. i'm in no hurry. form is more important to me. just today i had some real issues that forced me to walk a bit. a tight calve that led to tight quads. worked it out only to get a numb foot. ya, no fun.

ask yourself why are you running.

for me it's to be healthy and fight off depression. i want to run for life, not one race.

good luck,

Mike

Your story is not unusual

Your story is not unusual around here. Sounds like you did not get a complete fracture. Start over, forget about milage, speed, focuse on form, barefoot form, barefoot. :)

Thanks everyone for you

Thanks everyone for you feedback, Specifically migangelo. You bring up a good question, why do I run? It sounds like I have similar reasons as yours. I also like to participate in events ( I wouldn't say compete ) I've never pushed myself to be fast, but like I like having a distance milestone to work towards. It keeps me motivated.

Still, it sounds like I might have pushes myself to go to far, I'll use the next month of down time to research what will work be for me.

Thanks!

no problem. i have to say

no problem. i have to say forget about the distance and learn to run for pure joy. the distance and speed will come. you have to see a couple of the guys i run with. i'm just lucky they swing back for me. i see improvement in my running. then i have a day like today. a bad one. only good thing was the endorphin rush.

Mike

to3y,You've pretty much

to3y,

You've pretty much heard all of the advice I would give so I'll just say, good job BRS community!

From the location of your blisters and pain I will assume that you are overstriding and causing a shearing force at the ball of your foot leading to blisters and forcing your normal shock absorption system forward and down, rather than just down.

You wrote: "So I don't fit the profile of the leet runner who straps on a pair of five fingers and goes overboard and gets hurt. So this was unexpected." You do however fit the profile of most everyone including me who did more than their body is ready for. Don't worry, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Barefoot is barefoot and shoes are shoes. If you have on shoes, you aren't barefoot. I have to fight to keep my form correct when I put on my Trail Gloves too. I agree with migangelo. Barefoot running is a lifelong pursuit, not a goal to be met!

Advice time: take at least 6 weeks from running, maybe 8. When you get back to it, make sure your stride is nice and short, knees bent, feet landing under hips, lifting foot and not pushing off. If you are completely barefoot, the form will come a little easier and you will be alerted to problems more quickly (pain).

Good luck and don't give up!

Agree with the others.Yes, I

Agree with the others.

Yes, I am a doctor although not a bone/joint expert. 8 months is not long to be running. It will take much longer than this for bones, joints, muscles and ligaments to get used to what you are doing. I am not surprised that you are having problems. I have no experience of minimalist shoes but I suspect that they enable a runner to go further and faster than their feet are used to or ready for. Certainly, if you are getting blisters, your form is not good.

A stress related injury must be allowed plenty of time to recover. When you go back to running, be very carefull and stop at the first sign of similar symptoms. A stress fracture may not be visable on x ray in the early stages. In the UK, other imaging would only be considered after failure of conservative management but things are different elsewhere!

Good luck