My first 10K...

JosephTree

Barefooters
Sep 7, 2010
Near Valley Forge, PA
...sort of. It was billed as a "10K more or less" and measured out to 6.38 miles. It was run on the grounds of and to benefit the Lehigh Gap Nature Preserve, across the river from Palmerton, PA. They rated it as a "challenging and technical" course. That translated to "steep and rocky" I think. (If anyones's read bill Bryson's book A Walk In The Woods, this race was run on the very hillside he looked at and described as on of the saddest, deadest places in the country, having been destroyed by pollution from a zinc processing plant just across the river.)

I ran it in my VFF Bikilas and think that they were entirely appropriate for the terrain. I still ended up with a bruise the size of a plum on my left instep. I don't know how people handled the rocks in conventional shoes with all that added elevation.

Here's a link to a Garmin record of the course, with full graphics:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/119677634

I particularly enjoyed the 490 feet of ascent from the start on the river. The views were spectacular and worth my life, or ankles, at least, to glance up to see. I had to watch like a hawk to make sure my feet landed safely on every step. Rocks from breadbox size down to softballs were what about 50% of the path was made of. It's much more fun to think about in retrospect. For the running, I was very happy. The first 2.5 miles or so were flat gravel trail, and I ran easy and only accelerated slowly. The climbs were tough, and I was not ashmed to walk the steepest parts. The best part was that almost everybody who ran past me after the 2 mile point, and especially the hotshots who raced up the hills, fell to my spinning relaxed legs on the long downhills. It felt wonderful!

My finishing time of 59:20, while not awesome fast, was good for 3rd place in the 50-59 AG.

Thanks Chris and HSB. Chris,

Thanks Chris and HSB.

Chris, there was one other guy there running in VFF's. He asked me what the trick was to running downhill in good form. I passed on the lesson you gave me on "spinning" my feet, and told him to find a nice litlle 20 yard ramp with a bit of incline to try it out on to begin to learn - just like the ramp you had me try in Central Park last December. Thank you again!

Congrats, JT!  I think that's

Congrats, JT! I think that's a great pace for a 10K. I wonder what you stepped on.

Please feel free to add yourself to the Barefoot Runners Instruction Map, Chris. Of course, I believe you have the experience to teach others. If you have trouble, send me your info, and I will add it for you.

Thanks TJ - I believe it was

Thanks TJ - I believe it was a rock. The bruise is my most photogenic BF souvernier yet, blazing across my instep. Sorry I don't have the wherewithal to post a pic. (Mostly mental wherewithal.) It didn't bother me as I ran a gentle 3 or 3.5 miles today.

I was surprised to see that my time worked out to 9:18 /mile. I'm almost getting to impress myself. My next race is a 10 mile trail run. That will be more humbling, no doubt.

JosephTree wrote:I don't

JosephTree said:
I don't know...you're probably the highest BF milage person around this board. You'd have my vote for what that might be worth.

Why thankee, kind sir :wink: I think I'll put my hat in the ring.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldManHemingway

Latest posts