My Barefoot Vacation

NakedSoleNate

Barefooters
May 27, 2010
Thought I'd pull up a chair, have a beer, and tell you about my barefoot vacation...since I'm still on Pacific time, and sleep eludes me...

It started last Tuesday as my wife and I were dropped off at the Harrisburg International Airport. At the counter to check our bag (yes, bag, we try to travel as light as possible) the counter clerk looked at me (I think firstly because central PA is still not accustomed to a man wearing a kilt--incidentally, incredibly comfy to travel in...much easier to do one's business in little airplane lavs) and then said "You do have shoes, don't you? You will need them to board the plane." I asked why, she said policy....I didn't feel like arguing, and being put on some sort of watch list. We went through security, sat at the gate, and then I went to get us some vittles for the trip. Another agent came up to me while I was in line saying "Sir, where are your shoes?" I told her they were in my back pack with my wife--it was the truth, I did carry a pair of flops with me "just in case." I don't want to miss a plane because of other people's biases. I sat down next to my wife, we ate, we talked, my feet were somewhat covered by our carry-ons (back pack and lap top). From across the gate, I watch the ticket agent put down a phone, scan the gate, look at me, walk over, and says "Sir, you will have to put on your shoes before you board the plane." Whatever. I put on my flops right in front of him as I handed him my ticket. I took them off soon as I got to my seat. We went through Chicago, San Francisco, and Seattle-Tacoma airports with no problems what-so-ever, and even a few smiles from TSA agents in those hubs. And had no problems on the return trip, in fact, my wife joined me in walking through the airport without her shoes...a first for her. I have to say, in my little home town close to Seattle, I had no problems in any store, restaurant, or bar I went to. Living in central PA has made me a little paranoid I think, in that I am accustomed to regular confrontation. There was one point I thought I might have a problem. It is a local "American Zoo" we took my niece and nephews to. I had checked it out online the night before and they actually had a shoes-only policy listed on their site (I hadn't ever seen that before)...and I try to be knowledgeable about such policies, so I can acknowledge them if staff members confront me. I was not bothered once...however, my brother in law was. The tram-line guy asked him if I knew I didn't have shoes on. He looked at me and said "Nate, where you aware that you weren't wearing shoes?" I said, "No, thanks for letting me know that!" Really though, the only time I had any comments was my favorite day there. We went up to the Comet Falls Trail for a hike...the trail is a wonderful 4 miles with 900 ft. of elevation gain. I had hiked it many times in my youth. That day, I was anxious to run it. And I did. (Ok, so I did have to walk one or two of the switch-backs up, but hey...I was still fast). I waited for my parents for about an hour at the top, since they had my lunch with them. I got hungry. I ran back down 1/3 of the way, then walked back up with them. My feet felt fabulous, the trail was awesome, very unlike the red-shale logging roads I often run on. When we were done, I practically sprinted all the way back down, thoroughly enjoying myself. Most comments were of the "Dude, that's hard core" type....to "Wow, you are fast"...and only one "You forgot your shoes, man." As IF that is a new and creative comment...or particularly clever. My parents told me that people were talking about "that guy in the kilt who is running this trail BAREFOOT"...and my mom actually TOLD them I was her son! My favorite comet was "Could you please fall so I can see what's under your kilt?" Apparently my mother heard about that too, and asked if it was true that I wasn't wearing anything (I, of course did tell the woman who asked that question exactly--ok, with some embellishment--what she would find). I don't think my mother was too pleased at that information. So, all in all, the Pacific Northwest is wonderfully barefoot friendly. I'm hoping central PA will loosen up just a little bit. Of course winter, and pants weather, is upon us. People don't seem to notice as much if my legs aren't bare. so, obviously my leg is feeling really good...still not over doing it...but I think my original plan of kicking up some serious mileage this fall is do-able. I can't tell you how awesome it felt to "float" down that mountain. While waiting for my parents to come back down, I toyed with the idea of running back up to meet them, but didn't want to push it too much :-D.

NSN-Sounds like a fun

NSN-

Sounds like a fun vacation. I'm looking forward to my first as a BF runner in the next couple of days (MN here we come!).

I wonder how much more leeway was given to you by being BF and in a kilt?

I can see how, to someone who doesn't know your back story, seeing a barefoot guy in a kilt walking around the airport with his wife... would lead to the assumption that you are just a foreigner and that your attire is just a part of your cultural identity. Asking you to put on shoes, might be tantamount to asking an Islamic woman to remove her headscarf to comply with a "no hats" policy.

I think I'm just jealous... I probably look about as ethnic as Bill Gates, both in dress and appearance. I reckon I would be allowed about 10 seconds of BF time in an airport. Although I've never tried. So who knows?

S. Pimp.

for experimental sake, i did

for experimental sake, i did not wear the kilt on the return trip...wore long pants, and I don't think as many people noticed my naked feet...but some did.

most of the looks I got while being around town where more "oh, hum...that dude's not wearing shoes..oh, well." But when I'm home (here in PA) it's more like "OMG, THAT guy's not wearing shoes, that's gross, what's wrong with him..." kind of looks, to even sneering looks of disgust, as if I just flashed their 4 year old daughter. Which, of course I ignore.

The whole airport issue is

The whole airport issue is strange? I can never figure it out, TSA is always cool, but the airlines they are something else.

Oh yeah, dude you have to start using some spaces :)

Yeah, Abide...I tried to

Yeah, Abide...I tried to edit it...it's a copy and paste from an email I sent to the BSL as well as a note on my FB page...when I pasted I didn't know it wouldn't show the spaces...and it wouldn't let me edit :-/.

Oh yeah, that's a pain. It

Oh yeah, that's a pain. It sounds like a great vacation.

Just out of curiosity how did you go from the Pac NW to central PA?

One of the airlines I used to

One of the airlines I used to fly had a safety instruction video specifying that you must keep you shoes on during take-off (and maybe landing, I don't remember).

On the other hand, most security cards in airplanes tell you to take off your high heels shoes before an emergency on the inflatable slide.

So there is something going with airlines and shoes...but I don't understand it all.

The trail hike story is great. I hope to acheive a similar level of fitness one day and take more time to explore great trails.

Thanks for sharing.

The tram-line guy asked him

The tram-line guy asked him if I knew I didn't have shoes on. He looked at me and said "Nate, where you aware that you weren't wearing shoes?" I said, "No, thanks for letting me know that!"

I busted out laughing at that one.

I wrote that too late last

I wrote that too late last night...so many gramatical and spelling mistakes :)....it should say "Are you aware that you aren't wearing shoes?" :-D oh, well....where's the proof reader when you need her? Oh, yeah, fast asleep next to me :-D.

Sounds like a wonderful

Sounds like a wonderful vacation and glad your finally healthy and back running.

Out of curiuousity, were you clean-shaven on this trip or were you scruffy? Another hypothesis of mine is that a scruffy person will have to deal with more crap then a clean-shaven person. It's a shame that I hate to shave and always seem to be sporting 3 day growth (currently working on 6 I think). At least I have the SoCal beach-bum/hippy stereotype working in my favor.

Abide, I came to PA for

Abide, I came to PA for college....Met my wife, and stayed :).

Shacky....I am very rarely clean shaven....almost never....if I am, it's because while drunk I tried to groom....and it turned out poorly :)....I also have longish unruly hair...but hey, I'm a PA mountain man, and used to be a NorthWest mountain boy...so, people can deal, or not deal, I just don't take things personally like that :-D. But my clothes are usually clean and in good repair.

One thing I didn't mention in my vacation report, which I meant to, is that by the end of our week there, my niece and nephews were refusing to wear shoes :-D.

Shacky wrote:  Another

Shacky said:
Another hypothesis of mine is that a scruffy person will have to deal with more crap then a clean-shaven person. At least I have the SoCal beach-bum/hippy stereotype working in my favor.

I use both looks, and different folks react equaly unpredictibly.

Sometimes with clean cloths and a clean shave (my remaining hair is always buzzed) I command respect despite bare feet, but other times it must send a message that I'm REALLY a wack job, since the shoelessness is so shockingly inappropriate in some people's view.

When grubbed out w/ 5 days or more growth and a well worn hoody & frayed jeans, some people almost EXPECT me to be barefoot while to others it seals the deal that I'm a total undesirable.

I have fun with it.

lmao, I busted up at that one

lmao, I busted up at that one too TJ.

How insane how persistant the airline folk were about your shoes. As if they didn't have anything better to do, uh..make sure the airports were clear of crazed terrorists or potentially dangerous individuals, than to make sure you put your flip flops on for just a few seconds to board the plane :puzzled:

I wasn't talking about your

I wasn't talking about your typing skills, Nate. I was talking about the scene. Hysterical.

I know T.J. ....just seeing

I know T.J. :)....just seeing it quoted, I was "OMG"...I'm supposed to be able to write well, after all that is what I studied in college :-/...that was almost 20 years ago though LOL!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7