Most important are business-appropriate minimalist shoes.

Nyah

Barefooters
Oct 29, 2010
As footwear minimizers, we don't want the torture of heel elevating, toes-crunching, stiff shoes. Many of us run barefoot and, thus, don't really need running shoes, except as protection from cold temperatures. Personal choice rules, here. What we lack control in is society. Here, we're left with a huge problem when it comes to footwear because, no one is currently producing minimalist shoes that are business-oriented. How do we runners, influence the availability of minimalist shoes that are acceptable to society?

Hey Nyah, I work in an office environment, so going barefoot isnt really acceptable. Instead, I opt for the vivobarefoot Ra. I was thinking of getting some more vivobarefoot varieties for my business casual arsenal, as they seem to work pretty well for me. I totally agree with your point though that the selection is pretty limited. I've been keeping my eye out for the primal footwear line, but those are ridiculously expensive.

Gotta wear a suit a week from tomorrow, time to break out the worn only once Ra's.

There are some office type shoes out there that are relatively flat and wide and can be found at most department stores. The hardest part is finding any that are thin and flexible too. I am willing to shell out $20-30 bucks for the non flexible or thin kind vs the arm and a leg for the primal footwear or the Ra's. The Ra's are kind of narrow anyway which for me narrowness kills me more than the shoe being flexible or thin. I think it comes down to personal preference though.

Ra's are VERY wide and roomy, the toe box looks like an orthopedic shoe. Even I can wear them, and I barely can squeeze into other "minimalist" shoes.

no one is currently producing minimalist shoes that are business-oriented.

Its already been pointed out but that is incorrect. Although I do agree that the choice is limited to only a few, so I'm with you on getting more support from the industry.

Here are my Ra's, made just for the business-oriented:
IMG_4167_800.jpg

Yeah they are pricey, but 1) a lot of folks around me are spending even more, and 2) pretty much most minimalist shoes are pricey anyhow. Watch the sales, I think I got mine at planet shoes for like 25% off, atleast its something. There are also the Dharma's and maybe another that would pass for business.

Nick - not sure if your getting them confused with another model or your feet are just super wide but these shoes are practically clown shoe wide in the front. Ok well maybe not that wide but feels like it to me. They are very thin soled as well, I can feel a paper clip on the thin carpeted office floor through them (without the insoles of course). Like any leather dress shoe they get hot though, other than that the only other issue could be the material around the opening sometimes chaffs some ankles but mine seem to be fine with the fit, no problems there.

Tristan, for me it's not the front (toebox) that bothers me, it's the dang midfoot. I do have wide feet but most of my problems with shoes come from my exceptionally wide midfoot.

Honestly I am surprised. Compared to the Merrels I recently tried, these Ra's are substantial in the midfoot too, perhaps even more so since the midfoot does usually taper down more...
IMG_4173_800.jpg

And they are actually a size smaller than the Merrels.

The Ras and every other Vivo shoe scare me. In order for them to comfortably fit what I think of as a foot-shape, they'd end up being upsized way too much. The Ras may be closer to that ideal than Merrells are but, that isn't saying much since just about anything would be - Merrell never made special lasts, they just went with the same ones they use for conventional shoes/boots.

I really didn't start this thread to debate about existing shoes. I want to know how we can shift the minimalist balance towards dress and business-casual shoes. Of the minimalist athletic shoes I have now, I only wear them a few times a year, depending soly on the seasonal temps and, I'd probably wear them even less if there were a greater number of business-casual minimalist options.

I'm in more of a casual office environment, and I wear my Stem Primal Origins every work day. It's pretty much the only closed shoe I wear other than VFF's for running when the ground is too hot or cold or cycling with platform pedals. I have cycling shoes with cleats for use with my road bike.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7