Mileage reporting 51st week 2013

sat hr run with dogs and pistols, pushups in the park.
sun-sleep and eating. then ate some more.

Reactions: happysongbird
sunday: 2.5 mi, slushy cold unplowed snow as I recall
monday: 2.5 mi, same, night swim
tues: 2.5 mi, a few weights, lunch swim
wed: 2.5 mi,kids the rest of the day
thurs: 2.5 mi, then evening swim
fri: 2.5 mi, then 1 in socks on square track at gym, weights, then evening swim
sat: 6 mi, weights, then evening swim.
Wow, pretty steady running Sced! I'm thinking of trying reduced mileage and greater frequency (and pace) for a month or two too. How would you compare this type of running to higher mileage running with less frequency? Pros? Cons?

I've been doing the one-mile run-commutes, but I'm thinking of extending them by 2-4 miles, either coming or going, so I'd be getting in a 3-5-mile run and a one-mile run-commute everyday.

6.5 km with arcticduplo. I have never run more than a kilometer with any barefooter before. Fewer odd looks, better conversation (the conversation in my head is usually quite dull), the kilometers flew by. Great fun. Hope to run more with arctic duplo, and other bfers. If anyone's in Copenhagen some time, let me know.

Wow, pretty steady running Sced! I'm thinking of trying reduced mileage and greater frequency (and pace) for a month or two too. How would you compare this type of running to higher mileage running with less frequency? Pros? Cons?

I've been doing the one-mile run-commutes, but I'm thinking of extending them by 2-4 miles, either coming or going, so I'd be getting in a 3-5-mile run and a one-mile run-commute everyday.

Thanks, Lee, that makes me feel way better about myself.
Actually, I had gotten sporadic and lazy in my running for about 2 weeks in November, and for me, habit is everything. If I don't do it every day, it's hard to get myself in gear.

So the 2.5 daily served two purposes:
1.I could do it. 2.5 doesn't take much time, it's twice around a little subdivision loop, and I could basically still sleep in, get kids ready for school, and say to myself I did SOMETHING. I was having trouble getting good sleep this last week, and the 2.5 is doable even when tired. I was unmotivated to wake up early enough to do any more.

2. The roads have been snow covered and sporadically plowed, so my feet get a LOT of extra work for each mile. There were a few days recently where it was plowed but an ice skating rink level slippery, which brought its own challenges in my moc3s. I was either on the half melted gravel/squishy shoulder, or stepping very carefully. Moreover, the roads around the subdivision were a little more cleared than the country roads, and there are only so many times I can go in a circle before I get what you call "mental anguish."
Also, in the past, doing longer runs where the work was so intense on my feet, without getting used to running in it regularly, I have gotten TOFP. Hence, shorter runs let me see how my feet are doing and probably won't work them too hard. I'm grateful, since in the thick running shoe days, I would have been slipping, sliding, and falling all over the place,and I would have just given up. (The YAK TRAX thingies never did appeal to me).

That said, my legs have been wonderfully loose this week. I have rolled a little bit (30 seconds here or there), but it felt totally optional. That's kind of nice. When I get 30-45 mpw, I am forever rolling or getting tight legs if I sit too long. I'm not complaining, since that's just adaptation, but it becomes time and energy consuming (in a psychological sense).

Also, my feet have been feeling the extra work. Not in a bad way, no TOFP, but I notice a tendency for foot cramps while swimming this last week, and I can feel the muscles in my feet all over a bit more in general.

Had a great week for a change. It warmed up - unseasonably warm into the 50's. My first run of the week still had some stretches in the shade with snow and slush, but it all dissapeared after that. So actually got my first barefoot runs in over a month. Because of that I was a bit cautious, but the soles seemed fine. I forget the exact mileage but I think the first run was 4.5 mi, followed by around 6 and ending at 7.5 yesterday. I wanted to do a long run in the teens yesterday, but I havent broke 10 miles yet since my October Marathon, and the month off that followed, and didnt want to push my luck with my bare soles that might have lost some conditioning. So 18 miles doesnt sound like much but I'm happy. Back to minishod for me though, forecast for me is all below freezing.
_Ice_Cude_Stuck_zps5b7befc7.gif

Thanks, Lee, that makes me feel way better about myself.
Actually, I had gotten sporadic and lazy in my running for about 2 weeks in November, and for me, habit is everything. If I don't do it every day, it's hard to get myself in gear.

So the 2.5 daily served two purposes:
1.I could do it. 2.5 doesn't take much time, it's twice around a little subdivision loop, and I could basically still sleep in, get kids ready for school, and say to myself I did SOMETHING. I was having trouble getting good sleep this last week, and the 2.5 is doable even when tired. I was unmotivated to wake up early enough to do any more.

2. The roads have been snow covered and sporadically plowed, so my feet get a LOT of extra work for each mile. There were a few days recently where it was plowed but an ice skating rink level slippery, which brought its own challenges in my moc3s. I was either on the half melted gravel/squishy shoulder, or stepping very carefully. Moreover, the roads around the subdivision were a little more cleared than the country roads, and there are only so many times I can go in a circle before I get what you call "mental anguish."
Also, in the past, doing longer runs where the work was so intense on my feet, without getting used to running in it regularly, I have gotten TOFP. Hence, shorter runs let me see how my feet are doing and probably won't work them too hard. I'm grateful, since in the thick running shoe days, I would have been slipping, sliding, and falling all over the place,and I would have just given up. (The YAK TRAX thingies never did appeal to me).

That said, my legs have been wonderfully loose this week. I have rolled a little bit (30 seconds here or there), but it felt totally optional. That's kind of nice. When I get 30-45 mpw, I am forever rolling or getting tight legs if I sit too long. I'm not complaining, since that's just adaptation, but it becomes time and energy consuming (in a psychological sense).

Also, my feet have been feeling the extra work. Not in a bad way, no TOFP, but I notice a tendency for foot cramps while swimming this last week, and I can feel the muscles in my feet all over a bit more in general.
Yah, that's pretty much my sense of it too. I've been such a baby about having to put on shoes, and I keep hoping bareable conditions are just around the corner, but it doesn't look favorable for the rest of the month, so I mis' well face up to the facts, put on the shoes, and get my butt out there. And then, I think to myself, if I'm going to run in shoes in cold and snow, I think I'd rather do it more frequently but for less distance, cuz it's more of a workout, like we've said, and it's kinda annoying, so you don't really want to be out for a long time. And then, if I'm going to run that way, mis' well do it first thing in the morning and get it over with, right?

And then in general I'm wondering if more consistent, shorter running might not be the way to go, for the reasons we've mention: it's a good habit, less stress on the body, and involves less maintenance. My whole weekly running and lifting routine has been oriented around the weekend long run, but I think it's probably best just to go out everyday and run 30-60 minutes, and without regard to how it fits into my ST, since the interference is minimal on shorter runs. I'd still do long runs, but they'd probably be a little less frequent, and perhaps more consistently semi-epic. Recently I've become more relaxed, less programmatic about the weights too. Sometimes I do all the exercises on the list, sometimes I just do the heavy, basic ones in 20-40 minutes and call it a day.

Been feeling kinda icky. Seem to have gotten what ever has been going around. Wont be running for awhile I suppose. Just when I had finally gotten back up to 6 miles. :mad:

:( I've been down for about 10 days now. Starting to feel like a marshmallow! Reading here to get encouraged for starting back up in a couple of days, but so far what I need is tons of sleep!

:( I've been down for about 10 days now. Starting to feel like a marshmallow! Reading here to get encouraged for starting back up in a couple of days, but so far what I need is tons of sleep!

Hope you get to feeling better soon! My Mom has just gotten over this after having it for about 2 weeks also.

Well I ended up being sick over Christmas but seemed to be feeling better today and since the temperature is in the 50s Ive decided to just go for a short run this evening after work. Maybe just a mile or two since I have not ran for some time. If the running doesn't pan out I would be happy with just a relaxing walk. Barefoot would be great but will probably wear the VFF's. This warm weather really has me anxious to start running totally barefoot again!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7