Mileage Reporting 47th Week of 2012

Anything notable at the auto show? Flying Ford Fusions?

A friend actually checked out the rolling verion of the Fusion - shockingly, she likes it (this is a person that currently owns a Volvo XC70 - a damn fine car if I do say so my damn self). I like the styling, but American cars have left a bad taste in my mouth. Most things were simply new year models of existing cars, more hybrids, some new electric cars. The one new model car I saw was the Subaru BRZ/Scion FR-S - front mounted flat four, RWD sports car - $25K. Being a basic (by today's standards) sports car, it sort of makes me think of the original 240Z (vs. the rather sophisticated 370Z, which holds a place in my heart because I love me some Z-cars). I turned down an opportunity for a test drive, because I didn't want to get wound up just yet.

Reactions: Sid
My 98 Corolla was killing me in repairs, so I was in the market for a car recently. (I'm still paying off the Firestone card!) They had just dropped off a Fusion at the Ford dealership, when I was looking. It was really stylish. I also saw an FR-S, but the Toyota dealer wouldn't let anyone test drive it, unless they went through negotiation, financing, basically one step before signing on the dotted line. It looked sharp though! I ended up getting a pre-owned Volvo, after I saw the new crash test results. I thought it was a bit pokey, until I discovered the sport mode a week later. Great car!

My 98 Corolla was killing me in repairs, so I was in the market for a car recently. (I'm still paying off the Firestone card!) They had just dropped off a Fusion at the Ford dealership, when I was looking. It was really stylish. I also saw an FR-S, but the Toyota dealer wouldn't let anyone test drive it, unless they went through negotiation, financing, basically one step before signing on the dotted line. It looked sharp though! I ended up getting a pre-owned Volvo, after I saw the new crash test results. I thought it was a bit pokey, until I discovered the sport mode a week later. Great car!

Check to see when the International Auto Show will be in town - they were signing folks up for a test drive....though I don't know what sort of hoops you had to jump through before you had gearshift in hand...

How many miles did you have on your Toyota? I have a 98 4wd Tacoma w/222,xxx. It's going along, but I was told that at the next tire change, I'm going to need new control arms and shocks in addition to tires - looking at a $2K tab, but I think I have until next summer before I have to sweat that. It's such a great truck, I don't want to get rid of it. What I might do is roll it into limited duty service (hauling stuff, trips to Mts, etc...) and get a car for the day to day stuff.

Which Volvo did you wind up getting? The R models rock 300 to 325HP I think. My only complaint about them is that my friends XC70 needs a new radiator every 40,000 miles; They're made out of plastic and they break, but I'm told that you can get aftermarket versions that are made out of metal and last longer...

As I expected, this past week was going to wreak havoc with my training schedule. But despite that, the week actually had a couple of high points:
Mon/Tue/Wed 11/19-21: Nothing. Truly beyond my control. On Monday I turned 56, and if I could have had a more miserable birthday, I can't imagine how. Not whining, just saying.
Thurs 11/22: As noted elsewhere, I did the local Turkey Trot 5K. First ever barefoot race, and I bested my old 5K (shod) time by a little more than 2 minutes. I'm still sort of stunned by this. Best part is that my wife joined me for her first-ever race, also barefoot. Best. Thanksgiving. Ever.
Friday 11/23: 32 miles indoor spinning, just to loosen up some stiffness in the right calf from the previous day's race
Saturday 11/24: 7.2 miles barefoot run, incl 1 mile warmup walk, then 6.2 miles at training pace. Felt remarkably good considering the low training volume over the past two weeks. Cold, clear morning, and both my feet and legs felt in great shape, just a bit of lingering calf soreness. Great run, followed up by a yoga class w my favorite instructor.
The coming week should allow a return to a more normal training schedule. The takeaway for me this week was Thursday's race: I wanted to see how I would do under race conditions, since I'd previously (as in, pre-barefoot) signed up for a half-marathon in January. I know that there's a huge diff between 5K and 13.1 miles, but, based on how I felt before, during, and after the race, and how my post-race run went, I think I can build up to the necessary mileage between now and race day, and be ready to run my first half-mar barefoot. Besides, if I don't make that race, I won't get to meet Rick W!

Which Volvo did you wind up getting? The R models rock 300 to 325HP I think. My only complaint about them is that my friends XC70 needs a new radiator every 40,000 miles; They're made out of plastic and they break, but I'm told that you can get aftermarket versions that are made out of metal and last longer...

We love our S60! Zippy and so fun to drive I can hardly stand it!

We love our S60! Zippy and so fun to drive I can hardly stand it!

Yeah - my friend with the XC70 is looking to get an S60 T6; being that the color she wants (burnt orange) is not available in the US, they are seriously considering doing the Euro delivery thing. So we spent a lot of time at the show sitting in the S60 (the regular and the R version) - oh so very nice...

Reactions: ThomDavid and Sid
Yeah - my friend with the XC70 is looking to get an S60 T6; being that the color she wants (burnt orange) is not available in the US, they are seriously considering doing the Euro delivery thing. So we spent a lot of time at the show sitting in the S60 (the regular and the R version) - oh so very nice...
My buddy has the S60. While he was in Europe picking up the car he had some performance upgrades done to it that they only do at the factory and in Europe. Scary car now, but fun. His is one of only a handful in the states with the kind of hp his has. It's a pretty dang nice car besides the power. Personally, I would kill myself with a car like that (I would always be playing), I am fine with the lower powered models. Apparently Volvo also takes safety very seriously too, which is nice to know.

Check to see when the International Auto Show will be in town
Great, will do!
How many miles did you have on your Toyota? I have a 98 4wd Tacoma w/222,xxx. It's going along, but I was told that at the next tire change, I'm going to need new control arms and shocks in addition to tires - looking at a $2K tab
About 180,000 miles. I had just spent about $2K in the last year on that car. Needed another repair totaling about $500. Then the engine started acting up, too. I didn't even bother taking it to the shop and figured it was best to sell it to Carmax before anything else happened.
The R models do indeed rock. I hope that the repairs won't kill me. I still have about 15,000 left on the bumper to bumper warranty, and 65,000 on the powertrain. I got a 2011 S60 T5. A substantial upgrade over my Corolla. I'm happy with it. Since, I bought this car for safety, I would have been happy with a steel frame, wheels, and airbags. However, it was nice that the Volvo came with all the other nifty stuff, too!

We opted for the T5; the T6 was simply too much car for our needs, considering that it's primarily my wife's car and her commute is less than 7 miles in town each way on surface streets. The T6 just roars; my neck nearly snapped on the freeway test drive when I punched the pedal!

I realize that this isn't the "Car Talk" forum but I just love that car so much I have to sing its praises whenever I can. We now return you to your regularly scheduled barefoot forum...

Reactions: NickW and Sid
Bike ride with my son this morning, so pulling an extra ~70 lbs. behind me. Thanks goodness for low gearing haha. Have been barefoot continuously since Tuesday 5PM except for this bike ride (VFF's on hybrid MTB) and bike ride yesterday (cycling shoes w/ SPD cleats on road bike). Then put in a 40-minute run this afternoon at around 40°F. Managed to run farther this time, about 2.6 miles total, with an average running pace of about 14:50.

I've been wearing these Storm Skin thermal cycling tights pretty much all day today. Love these things. Wore cargo shorts over them most of the time, but then took the shorts off for the run. They really do great at keeping my lower extremities toasty warm despite being BF. After the bike ride my son and I went to this huge playground we found in the area. I was wearing the tights and shorts but BF so I'm sure the other parents thought I was nutso. :eek:

Happy Birthday Thom, sorry it was a crappy day though. It'll be interesting to follow your prep for January's half marathon. I'm starting to think about doing a half mary next year sometime, so it'll be great to learn how a more experienced runner like yourself trains for it.

Today's workout: Back strength training. My MCL injury has seemed more or less healed for a few weeks now, meanwhile I have this nascent ITBS issue, so I thought I better start working the squats and lunges back into my routine. I've read in several places that squats in particular can help with the ITBS. I did really light, 75-pound full squats and 50lb lunges, just to see how my knees would handle them. Seemed to go ok. I'm still keeping the deadlifts relatively light too, at 175 max, until I'm completely confident in the knee. I was going to work in the shoulders and lats ST workout I missed yesterday too, but I'll have to try to make that up after tomorrow's run. This head cold kind of screwed up the week's workouts.

I realize that this isn't the "Car Talk" forum but I just love that car so much I have to sing its praises whenever I can. We now return you to your regularly scheduled barefoot forum...

OK, I'll get us back on track: Today (Saturday) - 10.28mi on the bike running errands...

...and don't drive like my brother...

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7