Mileage Reporting 39th week 2013

Did a nice 5.4 mile a little later then usual. Now I remember why I like to go early. It's the traffic. One bat and one bunny was all. Temps are a nice 68 same hi humidity. Am looking forward to my 1st 8 miler Saturday. We'll see how that goes. I suspect it will go smoothly.

Every thing just fine
Have fun on your 8 miler.

4 miles today at a plodding pace. I really did not want to go for a run today, was not feeling it but the weather was to nice to not go for a run. Mid twenties Celcius out this way, not to many more of these type days coming I think. This is day 20 in a row of running at least 1/2 mile or more. :)
Yes, you have to take advantage of the nice weather days. Aren't you happy you went?

I'm in England this week and did 13 miles yesterday and 6 today with my sister. All min-shod, all trail - glad I had the Adams as broken flints are a real bugger!
Were you throwing sparks as you ran?

Probably not at the easy conversational pace we trotted round at!

Reactions: Owlrun
That's the spirit! I don't know why its taking so long to heal, probably cause I'm getting old. It's a nasty injury from what I'ver heard and I think it just takes a long time.
I hope you get to bottom of this with this new treatment you're getting.

sunday: beautiful 4 mi run at dawn, a cool and lovely dawn, then lots of office/paper/computer work. blech
monday: 3.5 mile or so run before dawn, ~25 min swim at lunch, ~25 min weights at the gym
tuesday: 3.5 mile or so run before dawn again,
then a few weights, then a swim at lunch, about 1 hr and 20 min.
swim was 1.5 mile starting interval continuous, then kicking, backstroke, pulling, etc. long time since i've done a long interval of swimming like that. got out some frustrations.

@lee: love that you are getting in all those long, exploratory runs. Perfect time of year.

@everyone else: looks like a good fall running season is getting under way. reading posts, not always time to post, but keep up all the efforts!

Well, no exercise for me lately, but Abby is here and mom and her are both doing well. Hoping to take my toddler out for a couple runs this week as we start to adjust to the sleepless nights. My wife and I are developing a good system at night which seems to help speed things up a bit so then we can get back to sleep sooner. Helps that we both are up doing things as one person can do one thing, such as change the diaper while the other gets a bottle ready or gets moved to the rocker with pillows propped up right for feeding time. She is a good little eater and pretty fast so as soon as she is done the one puts her back to bed while the other cleans bottle or themselves up. Finally had time also to finish the Dean Karnazes book I've been working on for the last year and a half, 50/50. Yay that means I can finally start a new book.

Tuesday (continued from last episode)

After the 10-miler yesterday, one-mile run commute back home just a few hours afterwards to pick up the car for some errands, and the legs felt surprisingly fine. Recovery time after these longer runs is really coming down.

Then in the afternoon I did lower-body strength training. I was expecting trouble with the deadlifts after my longish morning run, but they were fine. I've been keeping the deadlifts at 225 for the last 3-4 weeks while I make this push to higher weekly mileage, but I think I'm ready to get back to 275 or 325 now. I'm gaining confidence that my legs/lower body can handle the extra running workload and still do decent lifts.

On that note, I'm rethinking the 3x per week strength-training schedule. I might break it up into four sessions, to make sure I have adequate time for the upper body stuff. So yet another revised weekly schedule:

Sun: Lower Back/Butt/Legs ST & Speedwork or Hills
Mon: Chest/Biceps ST & run-commute
Tu: Longish run & run-commute
Wed: Lats/Mid-section ST & run-commute
Thur: Longish run or Tempo run & run-commute
Fri: Shoulders/Triceps/Forearm & run-commute
Sat: Long run

Basically, over the last month or so, I've added 3-4 hours of exercise per week. I used to do an hour a day, now it averages more like 90-120 minutes. But I think it's totally justified because I feel even better now, have even better concentration and energy and mood, so I don't think it's taking time away from things at all. If anything, it's adding time. I'm also starting to do sit-ups and mobility stuff with ankle weights in my office. It's a great five-minute break and keeps the blood from pooling in conceptual deadends.

@lee: love that you are getting in all those long, exploratory runs. Perfect time of year.

@everyone else: looks like a good fall running season is getting under way. reading posts, not always time to post, but keep up all the efforts!
Thanks Sister Sced! You were my original high mileage inspiration when I began participating on the mileage reporting forum a little more than a year ago. I really like how much more can be explored when one gets up into the 10+ mile range. A lot more route possibilities open up. Still, not all of them are pleasant, or at least not all of them are pleasant all the way, or at all times, so I'm steadily pruning some routes from my repertoire, even as I add others.

And you're right, it is the perfect time of year. I don't know what it will be like come winter. I may have to revert to my fairgrounds bank-n-forths if I want to continue running bare. The best thing about these longer runs is the little sense of adventure they restore to my settled life.

What's really cool is running over into Minneapolis. Conceptually, that used to always be a barrier for me. On my mental map it seemed far away, but now I realize it's no further really than some of my route landmarks for out-n-backs in St. Paul.

Anyway, hope your stress reduces soon. Mine is about to increase I think.
Same old same old. I droppped halfway through my 50k the other week. Started prolotherapy a couple of weeks ago but so far not much has changed.

The good thing is I can still lift. And I am going to start running again tomorrow, damn the PF!
Are you using a foot roller of some kind? Now that I'm running higher mileage, I've gotten a few PFish niggles and I've found that standing on a wood foot roller with most of my weight and rolling back and forth between my mets to my heel really helps.

Well, no exercise for me lately, but Abby is here and mom and her are both doing well. Hoping to take my toddler out for a couple runs this week as we start to adjust to the sleepless nights. My wife and I are developing a good system at night which seems to help speed things up a bit so then we can get back to sleep sooner. Helps that we both are up doing things as one person can do one thing, such as change the diaper while the other gets a bottle ready or gets moved to the rocker with pillows propped up right for feeding time. She is a good little eater and pretty fast so as soon as she is done the one puts her back to bed while the other cleans bottle or themselves up. Finally had time also to finish the Dean Karnazes book I've been working on for the last year and a half, 50/50. Yay that means I can finally start a new book.
Congrats Nick! Glad to hear everything went well. And I'm loving that Ben is adjusting so well. It took our daughter a lot longer to accept her little brother!

One thing though, and excuse me for interfering, but is there anyway you can convince your wife to breastfeed? Not only would it save you from having to get up in the middle of the night, but it's sooooo much better for the baby. In Africa everyone co-sleeps, so when baby needs a snack, mom just has to whip out the titty and can nurse while still half-asleep. Much easier on everyone.

Congrats Nick! Glad to hear everything went well. And I'm loving that Ben is adjusting so well. It took our daughter a lot longer to accept her little brother!

One thing though, and excuse me for interfering, but is there anyway you can convince your wife to breastfeed? Not only would it save you from having to get up in the middle of the night, but it's sooooo much better for the baby. In Africa everyone co-sleeps, so when baby needs a snack, mom just has to whip out the titty and can nurse while still half-asleep. Much easier on everyone.
SECOND!!
We do that in Mexico too and I did it when my boys were born. It's soo much easier for both mom and dad AND BABY TOO:babygirl:!!!

3 miles at 5 am. this morning. I love running first thing in the morning, legs felt fresh. Probably one of my faster runs this year, felt springy today, more on the front of my feet compared to yesterdays plodding run. No running buddy today, he just does not want to go for a run anymore when there is no daylight outside, he just curled up in his doggie bed and put out his "do not disturb sign" out. What really surprised me was the fact that I did not step on acorns or any sharp pointy stuff this morning even though it was dark out. Off to drop off truck for a service and head out for my last round of golf for the season. Yes Dama, it's a tough life I lead. :p

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts