Me feets hurt :-(

Ok TJ, but remember you

Ok TJ, but remember you asked. Well, I had my last back surgery in Feb. 2010. I was supposed to be off all pain meds within 3 months, at 6 months they put me on gabapentin, after a month of hell on that they tried some other nerve drug which didn't work either. The acupuncture electrical shocking doc happened around 8 months. At 9 months they told me there was nothing else they could do because they couldn't find anything wrong, and they wouldn't put me back on the drugs that did work and acted like I was an addict. Like you, I really didn't like oxycodone and don't like mind altering drugs (unless you count a beer or two here and there or maybe a glass of wine).

After that I started researching natural ways to cure back pain, at least make it well enough for me to lose the 40 pounds I had put on so I didn't have that extra weight making my back hurt even more. At about ten months after my surgery I was out on the road trying to run in my old trainers again but after about a mile my back and legs hurt so bad I was out for a week because the pain was so bad. Then I would go out and try again, only to have the same thing happen.

I had found barefoot running and lifestyle stuff on the web for a couple months but thought that was stupid and for idiots (I know I'm sorry folks, but I could not fathom at the time how being barefoot could be gentler than padded shoes on my back). At about a year I was so terrified I was going to be crippled for the rest of my life that I figured what did I have to lose, so I tried walking barefoot and running in the vff's. I really liked the vff's, but I kept having tofp. After about a week of this my back felt much better, but my feet couldn't take it anymore so I took the vff's off during the middle of a run and voila, foot pain was gone and I was loving being completely barefoot and running. It wasn't more than a few days after that of totally barefoot living that my back pain was but just a memory. To this day I have zero back pain. :bigsmile:

Stay strong TJ!

Stay strong TJ!

Thanks, Shorty! Nick, time

Thanks, Shorty!

Nick, time and the right footwear, then lack of it, is what got you on the right path you would say? Were you working at all after the back surgery? If so, how long after?

Barefoot TJ wrote:Nick, time

Barefoot TJ said:
Nick, time and the right footwear, then lack of it, is what got you on the right path you would say? Were you working at all after the back surgery? If so, how long after?

I was supposed to be off work for 2 months and ended up being three months. Going back to work was miserable sitting there in my chair at work talking to a customer on the phone trying not to cry.

I would say it was more the barefoot or zero drop living that helped my back. I would love to say that it was time, but for me it really was very noticeable how fast I got better when I wasn't aggravating my back and keeping it inflamed with all the heavy footfalls and heel striking. I truly believe that this is what was not letting my back ever heal up. I have a ton of damage to my vertebrate due to injuries from the Army so....

Your story is a great

Your story is a great testament. I would like to start a project, like a book, that is dedicate to telling stories just like yours. I need to think of how to go about this though. Can I use your story? We would add more details to it.

Barefoot TJ wrote:Your story

Barefoot TJ said:
Your story is a great testament. I would like to start a project, like a book, that is dedicate to telling stories just like yours. I need to think of how to go about this though. Can I use your story? We would add more details to it.

Wow, to be featured in a book as if I were someone special. ;) Lol! Yes you can use my story TJ. You can ask all the questions you want. I'm sure all of you know how long winded I am so I could probably give you a novels worth of answers. :bigsmile: I had some funnier remarks for you but I accidently deleted my origional response to you. Errrggg I hate it when I do that. Hey maybe a book of real life anecdotal evidence will make the scientific community take us barefooters a little more seriously.

You know TJ, it's been close to a year of me being pain free in my back. I was just thinking the other day how great it was that I could chase my little toddler around. I remembered how a year ago I couldn't imagine being able to do something so simple as that. Not even for five or ten feet. I didn't think I would be able to play catch or anything as he grew up.

***None of my smileys are working????***

TJ, no I don't think the MN's

TJ, no I don't think the MN's are getting worse if nothing else they are better as long as don't wear constricted shoes.

I do wear water shoes, VFF or my feelmax shoes at work.

Nick, what ordeal that was with your back I feel for you as I too have back problems and I know what do you mean about feeling like crying when sitting down at work. I am really happy that it is a lot better nowdays.

Haha Phil!  Not sure I know

Haha Phil! Not sure I know how to take that?! Lol! I guess maybe I'm not normal, I dunno, maybe I am.

Dama I'm sorry to hear you have back problems and MN. That is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemies. I hope you get better.

NickW wrote:Dama I'm sorry

NickW said:
Dama I'm sorry to hear you have back problems and MN. That is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemies. I hope you get better.

Throw in there Raynuld's Syndrome and I have the perfect life-don't I.

Seriously, I am just happy that Bare footing has allowed me to continue running despite it all and I couldn't be happier.

You know what they say, life gives you lemons and you know the rest(I do add chia to my lemonade).

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7