marathon training

rik

Barefooters
Apr 11, 2011
Utah
Bare foot runners,
I am looking for some advice from our bf veterans. I want to do a marathon and I would like to know how you did yours and what ideas and recommendations you can give me. Or marathons that you can recommend. I can travel so I am not limited by the location prefered in the Western U.S. My mileage is about 8 miles dirt rough road at one time and about 13 miles mixed sidewalk and pavement. I just completed the Wasatch Back Ragnar and need some new goals quickly to keep my treads tough and mind focused. I have been running bf for 1 and 1/2 years average 15-20 miles per week with dirt, sidewalk, pavement,
in gratitude rik

hey Rik - I'm going to move this to the general Barefoot & Minimilast Running forum, you should get more replies there! I mean, here :)

Reactions: rik
I'm vff running and working on marathon training. There is lots on line all saying the same thing, all Around a 4 month schedule. One long run a week, sprint training and changing up your distances. I run an 8 k in 5.30 once a week. Interval sprints once a week . Pay attention to your diet. Also try running clinics at your local running store, lots of great group advice there

This should be a piece of cake for you, since you already have enough of a base.

You could try Marathon Rookie. I have used this plan in the past and modified it to my schedule.

I modified a Higdon Intermediate plan I've used for years (when I was shod) to work better with barefoot running. I used it last year and it was great. I modded it to fit my needs and requirements (rest days / minimal consecutive running days).

Consecutive running days are challenging for me when running over 35 miles per week.

Good luck.

I am looking forward to my first barefoot marathon in October. I'm not going to follow a training plan. It is just impossible to follow one with my work schedule. My plan is to build up the barefoot mileage as much as possible, do more on pavement (even though I don't want to), and only use sandals on the roughest terrain and long distances. I believe I have enough experience not to have to worry about endurance and fueling needs. I don't have a time goal, I just want to finish this one without knee pain.

Rik, the trouble with marathons, is that the registrations are so far in advance so it is hard to pick one. Otherwise I would recommend the St. George Marathon. There are several in So. Nevada in November and December.

Rick,
I love the post. I have not followed a plan but I thought I would try to with the increased distance. I am running a 5k tomorrow and then its on . I am going to give the 24th of July a half hearted attempt I will see how my mileage stacks up and If I feel I can get a couple of 18s or 20 mile runs all BF I may register for it.. I am liking what the heat is doing for my foot pads. I am 5 weeks in putting new pads back on after I got blisterd on a hot run. So Ill play it by foot and see what I get. I am hoping for my fastest time tomorrow. under 24 or 23 would be amazing or finishging with out injury would be good as well.

I think you are definitely ready for a marathon. My advice is train as much as possible barefoot. My first barefoot marathon was in May, so the beginning of training was in winter months, I still ran barefoot as much as I could until mother nature forced me to footwear. But once March came around all my runs were barefoot. Definitely try to get in two 20 milers barefoot. I am not a big high mileage runner during the week, so I averaged about 28 miles per week, I did get a few weeks where I got 40 in. I also did a 3 week taper, which personally I found that is to much rest. I prefer a two week taper.

I am doing a marathon in October, and like rickwhitelaw, I am not really following a specific training plan. I made one up myself, it's a 16 week plan that basically just gives me a timeline on my long runs on the weekend which I listed below. I run four times a week, the 3 weekly runs I keep between 45-60 minutes. Here and there it's good to get a medium long run in during the week, it makes the long run on the weekends a bit easier. Good Luck!!

marathon

I think there is some good advice here. I have used several plans from Higgins to others to make it up myself stuff. But these days my time is my biggest limiter. I have a huge base and lots of experience so I seem to be able to pull it off if I must. I wont be too helpful with the training part. Get the long run in each week and you will be fine. Maybe not fast, but you will finish.

So here is where I can provide some help. I have only run two mary courses barefoot, Portland Oregon and Coeur d'Alene. Out of those two I would choose Portland or surface quality and less likely to be too hot.

Portland is a great race too. I have done a few marathons, and a couple Ironmans and the Portland mary is a really great race. I have done it twice and been impressed each time. As for barefooting, here in the land of hippies, you wont be alone. The half mary runners are on course with you for the first part, and there will be a fair number of barefooters in that group and you will see a ton of VFFs and other minimalist shoes. The surfaces are a bit rough on the industrial zone out and back around mile 10, but there is a good paint line right down the center that is smooth enough to make it not do too much damage that you will feel later in the run. If you are nervous at all about surfaces, you may want some dance pads for this section. But it is really not bad. The last couple of miles are also a bit rough, but by time, I am not sure if it is actually the surface, or just that you have been running for 26 miles and everything hurts. But again, totally doable. So consider Portland for a mary that is pretty barefoot friendly.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Todd
my blog:
http://staggerforwardrejoicing.com/

CHEERS,
To all the great advice and encouragement. I love it. I am happy to report I beat my personal best by a couple of minutes in my 5k. I pushed so hard that I had nothing at the finish, no kick and I have previously held back to much and then I have to much left in the tank after the race. Out of 1200 + or so in the race I placed 112 overall and 7th in my age group. I was told there was one other BF runner. I did not see another bf runner, as I usually don't.
thanks Rik

Reactions: scedastic
I managed to tie in with a running group in Halifax , Nova Scotia. The groups out of the running room are great. I'm in week 6 of training in my vff's. I spent the first few weeks dogging behind the group, who are on a 18 wk schedule. Tue is a fast 8 , 5.12 per klickwe'd is hills starting at 600 meters 3 repeats followed by a Few more klicks to balance the run. Thursday is a steady 8 at 5.45. Saturday run is variable . I did 16 today at 5.47 paying special attention to form, landing real flat. I'm enjoying my runs and my cardio I's improving. I have found running with a group useful , there are always slower people in the crew and it does not matter how long you take. My runs on the weekend are solo. The best distance I have taken is 26 k , with no regard for time. The summer is hard with the heat, run early and pay attention to diet.
I also found my feet were getting sore due to poor form, skipping barefoot is helping with this.

Pretty short right now, as I was off injured a while ago. Nothing longer than 8k lately, although I've got a 9k planned for Saturday. I'm slowly building my weekly miles up, but I'm in no hurry. Just trying to stay healthy. Running mostly shod, with short (2k) barefoot training runs.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7