Lost My Virginity Today

. I think too many of them are more focused on their technology in their hands, ph, stereo, tv thingy for kids... .

I just read that ER visits for kids under 4 are up about 20% over the last 3 years, mostly due to hand held tech distracting the loco parentis....just to digress a wee bit.

The next step on the road of lost virginity is onto hypodermic needles, I hear, so let us know when that one pops.

Reactions: Bare Lee
You could drop a Pyrex bowl in the kitchen. I was vacuuming and sweeping up shards for half an hour. Fortunately for everyone else in the house (shoe-wearers), I discovered the last piece embedded in my heel a day later. Didn't think about it, and threw that out, too. However, I guess it doesn't count, if it's my own fault.

I have three pieces so far. Oh, how they sparkle!
It's funny, when glass is broken, I clear the kids out fast, but don't worry about my own feet. I guess after all these years, I'm insensate.

Reactions: Sid
I just read that ER visits for kids under 4 are up about 20% over the last 3 years, mostly due to hand held tech distracting the loco parentis....just to digress a wee bit.

The next step on the road of lost virginity is onto hypodermic needles, I hear, so let us know when that one pops.

Gives me the willies just thinking about it, Joseph. I do my best to run in needle-free zones as much as possible.

I don't think hypodermic needles are really a big thing to worry about. The only time I ever saw such things regularly was when I did tre work in the slums of Washington, DC. Even then I'd have to be way back in the bushes, off the beaten track, to find them. What is more likely is that while you're watching carefully where you place your feet and maintain optimal form, some eedjit will run you over as he's texting.

Reactions: NickW and DNEchris
It's funny. Non BRS people are so quick to warn us about the "dangers" of splinters and glass and the mythic hypos, and yet I doubt they would be open to suggestions that a donut or three in the lounge might be a more obvious danger than a fun and low impact way to get regular exercise. Anyone see Alice or the Cheshire Cat? I find the "real" world is often just so topsy turvy. :confused:

I have seen exactly three hypodermics in my career as a barefoot runner. One didn't have a needle anymore, and for one, the needle had the shield on it.

However, I cut my feet with glass allthefrickintime. There's so much glass here. I finally figured out why. On recycling day, the recycling company turns the glass bins upside down after emptying them. Sucks. I've never had to miss a run due to a glass cut, though. They are usually really small.

Reactions: dutchie53
19 months of bfr and no glass yet, so guess im lucky. Notables for me are two instances of goat heads (type of thorn), one recent dog poo plunge, and my favorite while on a glorious trail run in the redwoods, I passed a a couple horse riders, thought to myself I better watch out for dung and before I could complete the thought I had a full plantar plunge into a pile of the freshest horse dung imaginable. I laughed it off but the gross part is I sort of forgot about it by time I got to my car and drove home, was walking and lounging around my house for a few hours before I showered ...oops i didnt mention to my wife LOl... great thread. BR

Reactions: NickW and Bare Lee
I guess I'm lucky to live in a glassless, needleless middle class neighborhood with sidewalks. Most of the drug use here is prescription pills & caffeine I would imagine, and I don't have to worry about recycling day cuz I rarely run out in the street. Even dog poop is pretty rare as everyone seems to have been pretty well trained to clean up after their lax pooches with plastic pouches.

I guess I'm lucky to live in a glassless, needleless middle class neighborhood with sidewalks. Most of the drug use here is prescription pills I would imagine, and I don't have to worry about recycling day cuz I rarely run out in the street. Even dog poop is pretty rare as everyone seems to have been trained to clean up after their pouches.
Same here on all accounts, except I have had one tiny sliver of glass once and I saw a wrapper for a needle in a park, but for all I know it was for a diabetic kid and not some hopped up junky.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Honestly, the notion of encountering a hypo needle never even crossed my mind, but from the posts in this thread, I guess it is a real (or, perhaps, mythical) danger. My neighborhood is similar to Lee's, except that we have an elementary and a middle school nearby and broken glass isn't all that uncommon. I have a sixth sense for dog poop, it seems, having two dogs of my own, and as yet it hasn't been much of an issue.

Before barefoot running, I used to observe landscapes in a broad, non-specific sort of way: "Wow, those hills look like a great place to run." Nowadays, I have a much more micro approach; I'm looking at the running surface and saying things like "Looks like it would really hurt to run on that stuff," or "hmmm...freshly laid asphalt...could be fun..." I couldn't tell chip-and-seal from Chip and Dale two months ago. Now I'm becoming a bit of a concrete connoisseur. Strange things happen in this sport...

Reactions: Phil Hart and NickW
Well, I thought that little cut almost 2 weeks ago in the bottom of my foot was just that. I couldn't find any wood, rocks, or glass. It improved for while but was driving me crazy today ... Lo and behold, the tiniest shard of glass ever! I had to do some work to get it out, but its officially gone! Now I have to make sure that my husband doesn't find out, I'll never hear the end of it!

Just do your best Monty Python:

Husband: Was that a piece of GLASS in your foot?
You: Nope.
H: Yes it was. I distinctly saw you pulling a shard of glass from the bottom of your foot and throw it in the trash.
You: No I didn't.
H: I told you!! Your foot is going to rot and fall off.
You: I think I'll go for a run! (Singing a happy tune while limping out the door.)

Reactions: Agnesd
Just do your best Monty Python:

Husband: Was that a piece of GLASS in your foot?
You: Nope.
H: Yes it was. I distinctly saw you pulling a shard of glass from the bottom of your foot and throw it in the trash.
You: No I didn't.
H: I told you!! Your foot is going to rot and fall off.
You: I think I'll go for a run! (Singing a happy tune while limping out the door.)

Hilarious! Unfortunately, this may be pretty close to how it would go.

Reactions: clawhammer72
I'm yet to join the glass club, but I suspect that my wife is going to enjoy it immensely when I do.

My worst is jumping over a big seaweed patch and landing on a jellyfish on the beach. Squish!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7