IT band and marathon training

Very curious... are there

Very curious... are there trigger points that far down on the ITB?

I thought it was all tendon-ish stuff below the TFL and glut max. And, again perhaps erroneously, thought that trigger points were only in muscles.

Have to admit, I've never understood the idea of foam rolling the IT band for relief from IT band pain. (Although I do roll in that vicinity to get to other muscles.)

Trigger points can be in the

Trigger points can be in the fascia connective tissue too...so yes they can be in the ITB and really anywhere. Typically in ITBS the band is too tight as it's under too much stress from the muscle imbalances so actually treating where it is too tight is like putting a muzzle on a barking dog rather than taking your foot off his tail.

...like putting a muzzle on a

...like putting a muzzle on a barking dog rather than taking your foot off his tail.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!
teeth_smile.gif

Doctor Gangemi, I am new to

Doctor Gangemi,

I am new to BFR. I am up to 1 mile BF after about a month. I went to a clinic this past saturday which included a 5k trail run. I did it with minimals since I am new to BF. I managed to complete it but I had a very bad ITB attack during the last 1/2 mile. Very painful. I didn't know what it was so I finished the run. Three days later (today) the pain is gone. I have two questions: first is, how does one know when it is okay to start running again? Is it safe as soon as the pain is gone? My second question is: are there stretches that would be helpful to do once you have fully recovered to maintain limberness of the ITB? Thanks for any response you can give...

regards,

Joe

PBC - If you were using

PBC - If you were using oversupported running shoes in the past then it's going to take some time to get into barefoot/minimalist shoes. Since you had ITB, either you've done that too quickly, the minimalist shoes are not working for you, or there is some other stress affecting that ITB as I mention in the video/post.

Yes, it's okay to run right away if there's not pain. And no stretches, especially in the ITB.

Also as you're implementing more barefoot into your training I'd be doing that via time, not mileage. And make sure you adjust accordingly during the transition phase and really listen to your body.

Hi Doc, Thank you for taking

Hi Doc, Thank you for taking the time to respond. I am itching to do a short BF run. I have had no pain for three days now. Maybe I will run 1/2 mile BF to see how I feel. Thanks again...

Joe

Sloutre - it's been a few

Sloutre - it's been a few weeks, how's it going? I'm beginning to think the foam roller could be the root to solving almost every problem associate with running.

Hi Sara, thanks for

Hi Sara, thanks for checking.

I didn't run at all for a couple of weeks. I was planning on starting again last week but I've had a bad cold/flu. My legs and glutes feels loose now. I didn't roll, maybe I should have. I just rested and tried some exercices from Jason books, Tabata style.

I will try running tomorrow or on Thursday and report how it goes.

Philadelphia marathon is this weekend but of course I'm not running it. But I'm looking at some trail races for the Spring. I typically don't run a lot of races, I would be content with 2 or 3 per year, as long as they are fun and challenging.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7