Is barefoot part of your identity?

NotSoDoomedRunner

Barefooters
Apr 27, 2011
So I was running in my Trail Gloves around the neighborhood, which is real smooth road but my feet were a tad tender and someone I don't know pulled over and asked why I was wearing shoes...since I'm normally not around here... then I went to a party in shoes and someone said they were shocked I was not wearing at least minimalist shoes. Anyone have this kind of thing where people are more shocked when they have normal shoes on? Is barefoot part of your identity with friends and family?

I guess that is what would suck if it REALLY caught on. I'd lose something that makes me different to people who know me.

That is funny, people do the

That is funny, people do the same to me around here. I have had numerous people that I don't know ask me why I was running in shoes when I've been out running non BF. I usually just laugh and say, "I just found these!"

I get that all the time, its

I get that all the time, its fairly cold up here right now with all the snow and ice, etc. I was out for a run and people are shocked that I have something on my feet. Geez you put a pair of Zem 360's on and suddenly you are thought to be sick or something. They used to complain that I wasn't wearing shoes now they are complaining that I am, can't please anyone I guess.

Barefoot Gentile wrote:No,

Barefoot Gentile said:
No, but people know I run barefoot and like to be barefoot. I don't bring attention to myself, nor do I talk about barefoot running to anyone. I keep it underground.
Quick change or accidental pre post from phone? But I am the same as what you posted above. However, I can't prevent locals from making observations and commenting on them.

bubba hotep wrote:Barefoot

bubba hotep said:
Barefoot Gentile said:
No, but people know I run barefoot and like to be barefoot. I don't bring attention to myself, nor do I talk about barefoot running to anyone. I keep it underground.
Quick change or accidental pre post from phone? But I am the same as what you posted above. However, I can't prevent locals from making observations and commenting on them.

Yeah, I have tried to do the same, but people in the neighborhood have noticed- they notice more that I am running because I can be an asset to the neighborhood watch I think, but co-workers have noticed it on my lunch runs too, so I'm pretty much "out."

secrets like that don't stay

secrets like that don't stay very secret. people love to talk, especially behind your back. don't forget women tend to notice everything, especially a guys shoes and in your case a lack of.

i wear sandals everywhere so i'm not id by that. it's snowing now and i'm wondering if i should put on shoes or just go in my sandals and freak everyone out like usual. i'll probably just wear the sandals.

No, but then I don't wear

No, but then I don't wear shoes. I guess if I put on some shoes, people would definitely be like, "WTF?" I think they would be disappointed in me if they saw me in shoes.

Freak 'em out even more by going barefoot, Mike.

migangelo wrote:secrets like

migangelo said:
secrets like that don't stay very secret. people love to talk, especially behind your back. don't forget women tend to notice everything, especially a guys shoes and in your case a lack of.

i wear sandals everywhere so i'm not id by that. it's snowing now and i'm wondering if i should put on shoes or just go in my sandals and freak everyone out like usual. i'll probably just wear the sandals.

Mike I went out in my sandals yesterday in the snow. I could see everyone in the physical therapy side of the building staring at me through the window as I was walking up to the drs office.
smile.png
My feet were not cold at all surprisingly. Really wishing I could go out and run barefoot in the snow Mike! Ugh this injury is killing me!

People out and about in my neighborhood are starting to ID me as that barefoot runner, but my family doesn't seem to say much. They all kind of chuckle about it and think I'm crazy, but they don't say anything when I wear footwear. I guess if I went barefoot to stores and everything that would change my familys perspective. They respect the fact that I will not go against store policys so I will just throw on a pair of huaraches or my Adams. I'm thinking I will start wearing my huaraches almost exclusively though now when out and about.

Yep, ive had professors stop

Yep, ive had professors stop the lecture in the middle of class to comment on the fact that I was wearing shoes that day. Ive also been recognized at social gatherings, while wearing shoes, as being the barefoot guy on campus. Word gets around it seems.

I'll go to school barefoot,

I'll go to school barefoot, but if a teacher has a problem with it I just put on my sandals. Some classes actually require actual shoes, science classes usually.

Kean, I'm surprised they're

Kean, I'm surprised they're not like, "Hey, I didn't recognize you with shoes on!"

i love the reactions on

i love the reactions on people's faces as they see me walking in sandals in snow or cold. i saw some people in shock today as i walked by them. i'm sure people talked behind my back. maybe i will get the ahem, courage, this winter to paint my toenails purple so when people ask if my feet are cold i can say yes, look at my purple toes.

TJ, i did go bf to school one day when it was really cold. it felt great. the slush today, no thanks.

Yea, I don't care for the wet

Yea, I don't care for the wet and cold either. I'd rather have a dry cold any day.

NickW wrote:I'll go to

NickW said:
I'll go to school barefoot, but if a teacher has a problem with it I just put on my sandals. Some classes actually require actual shoes, science classes usually.

That's kind of ironic, isn't it?

With me (probably due to my age and line of work) it's usually, "you do...what?" or, "...are you still running barefoot?" or, "you run with those little toe-shoe-thingeys...right?".

So no, it's not who I am, but it's part (or not a part, depending on how you look at it) of what I do to run.

Interesting question...

I ran in a pair of Merrell

I ran in a pair of Merrell true gloves yesterday just to see if I liked them. I didn't like running in shoes on the road, not the shoes fault, I just didn't like it. Anyway, at work today I had 2 people say that they thought they saw me running but decided it wasn't because of the shoes. I suppose barefoot is part of my identity as a runner.

Oddly enough, people used to

Oddly enough, people used to give me grief for being barefoot, now I get crap if I am wearing shoes. Some of my coworkers have gotten over the fact that I do most things barefoot. Out here there really aren't too many "nice" surfaces to run on. Most sidewalks and asphalt have small rocks on them so they really think I'm crazy. At most races I have started to get the reputation as "the barefoot guy." I've even overheard people say that they needed to beat the guy without shoes. I have people come up to me all time at races and say that they saw me at this run or that run and couldn't believe I was barefoot (for example, the four mile trail run through the desert a few weeks ago...that did kind of suck BF...hahaha). I've been called crazy, insane, gross, and a hundred other things I can't remember right now. But I really don't care. Once I get back to school (hopefully in HI) I will probably not wear shoes for a very, very long time. hahaha.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7