*IMPORTANT* IBRD 2013 POLL - NEED YOUR VOTES

What Day Do You Prefer To Hold International Barefoot Running Day on?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted for Cinco because I'll be running the Pittsburgh marathon that morning and I'm targeting it as my first barefoot marathon. Will there be IBRD technical t-shirts for sale? I'm going to need a large please.

Yes there will be shirts for sale, there will be a IBRD logo design contest starting up just into the new year.

I'm the little guy in the middle. :p

tarahumara-615.jpg

Nice, thanks for sharing that photo. I have big plans to make a more elaborate (and authentic) Tarahumara outfit for Mike (migangelo) and this is actually a great photo because it shows a lot of detail in their outfits. These will definitely get rid of the chaffing complaints. :)

We don't celebrate 5th of May here in Europe, at least not here in Holland.
KK, WRONG! It's Europe Day... but it's actually not the real thing but the Council of Europe's Europe Day. Cool he?
As this is kinda second league version of the EU nobody cares :p

I personally prefer the 5th because it's my last long run before Leiden Marathon (26th May) and it will be just ideal for a nice high mileage barefoot training.

Last week I argued in favor of Mother's Day, because it's a great day for families to get out and run together, and many clubs hold Mother's Day races or fun runs.
However, I changed my mind after reading some of the comments here, and voted for May 5th.
There is a lot to be said for year-to-year consistency when it comes to legitimizing the event, plus I see no reason why a run in the morning should interfere with hoisting a few Dos Equis later in the day. The Most Interesting Runner in the World would simply say "Stay barefoot, my friends."

Actually, I will probably run some on BOTH days.
So there.

I'm mexican and I don't have a problem with Cinco de Mayo being the IBRD, in fact cinco de mayo is acelebration of the mexicans beating the french army in Puebla, an important part of the victory was the help of the zacapoaxtla indians in the battle which more likely could have been barefoot!

but please don't make us drink Corona!, even I don't drink it! my vote is for TECATE, wait what was the poll again?

The Most Interesting Runner in the World would simply say "Stay barefoot, my friends."So there.

Ha, hysterical! You crack me up Sailor!

I'm mexican and I don't have a problem with Cinco de Mayo being the IBRD, in fact cinco de mayo is acelebration of the mexicans beating the french army in Puebla, an important part of the victory was the help of the zacapoaxtla indians in the battle which more likely could have been barefoot!

but please don't make us drink Corona!, even I don't drink it! my vote is for TECATE, wait what was the poll again?

Your perspective adds a whole new light to our backing the 5th of May. If they could run barefoot on that day, so can we.

Don't forget you guys and gals, IBRD is for running with others who are also running, but if you can't hook up with a group then running solo is fine too. We will have several group runs being planned very soon, so stay tuned, and be sure to check out the IBRD link above now and again. Better yet, also join a chapter and you will be informed of group runs by your chapter president.

According to Wikipedia Cinco De Mayo is a big deal in the United States (although I never heard of it until I moved from Michigan to California). Many Americans believe it is Mexican Independence Day, but according to Wikipedia it is the Day of the Battle of Puebla, celebrating the Mexican army's unlikely victory over French forces. So it's really a bit more like our (U.S.A.) observance of "Remember the Alamo Day", celebrating the ... oh wait a minute, perhaps not a good comparison, since the Defenders of the Alamo were killed by the Mexican army in a period of nearly 2 weeks - but did inspire many people to join the Texian Army, and eventually defeat the Mexican Army in less than 2 months.
more:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinco_De_Mayo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alamo

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
I voted for 5 May. The IBRD link shows the date as 12 May. Did it change? I thought 5 May was the first choice until people starting expressing their dissatisfaction with that date.

Nothing is set in stone, Patrick. Links can/will be changed, and we will notify everyone as soon as the poll is over.

Reactions: Barefooting Bob
Quoting from further down the Wikipedia article:
"The holiday, which has been celebrated in California continuously since 1863, is virtually ignored in Mexico."
"Cinco de Mayo started to come into vogue in 1940s America during the rise of the Chicano movement."
"The holiday crossed over into the United States in the 1950s and 1960s but didn't gain popularity until the 1980s when marketers, especially beer companies, capitalized on the celebratory nature of the day and began to promote it."

There you go, beer companies are to blame for the american magnification of the mexican holiday.

So, being mexican and all, I also vote for 5 de mayo. My main reason is IBRD is a global event and 5 de mayo is not a general celebration, even though it is of mexican origin it is not largely celebrated but in 1 mexican state (out of 31), and is not even widespread in the US, as only some states know about it. We shouldn't displace a global event in favor of a very localized "holiday".

I would prefer IBRD to be on a Saturday instead, since my that is my long run and Sunday is a recovery day. But if I must chose between the two Sundays, then May 5th.

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
I would prefer IBRD to be on a Saturday instead, since my that is my long run and Sunday is a recovery day. But if I must chose between the two Sundays, then May 5th.

If anything should change it should be the weekday. Usually Sundays are busy with Church/family gatherings and all. So I am thinking that instead of the first Sunday it should be the first Saturday of May...just sayin, ;)

Now, Ms. Dama, diggin' up old worms, huh? :) That was discussed a long time ago, and pretty much, it was decided that Sunday was a better choice.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts