Barefooters
May 19, 2012
Hillsboro, OR
Anyone ever try running in these? I've been out barefoot a couple times
in the last week in the cold and wet and its just gonna get worse. I have
some VFF's and Merrill Trailgloves and I find they actually make my
feet sore. These socks look like a way to keep my feet warm while doing
nothing to hinder my natural pronation.

I've also thought about Zem, these socks are much cheaper. Opinions?

J

I'm not sure how long these socks would last. I think Jen used the Sealskin socks (same type of thing I think) last year so she could probably give you some good advice. I know I have run in cheap regular socks before and they have lasted 1 run, then had holes in them, which made me then afraid to use expensive socks like these...

Hmm, Sealskinz look just like regular socks and I would expect those to fall apart
REAL fast, but these neoprene things should be a bit tougher I'd think. I figure if
you treat them like a shod person they will fall apart fast, but with correct barefoot
technique (minimal abrasion) they should do better.

The Zem Terras look tougher, but they are also not cheap!

The sealskinz I used to have were neoprene... Yes the Terras are $70, but if they last much longer than the socks then they are actually cheaper, right?

I haven't, but I've read some quality control issues with those and the O2's. Something about the pods coming unglued and falling off. I've also read reports of the tech bands coming off the upper material. I'm not sure how often these problems occurred or if they've fixed these problems. Makes me very nervous about the Terras I just ordered, although I have not seen one complaint about them online, and trust me, I've looked for hours and hours and hours at a time trying to find them. Barefoot Bob was a distributer or something for the Zems and he said he had some many returns and complaints that it ruined his opinion of the company or something like that.

Hi JayBird, would you mind it if I moved this thread to the Gear & Footwear forum?

Here's the scoop on the Sealskinz socks. The ones I got were the waterproof ones and they had three very thin layers to them, the middle one was a kind of insulation material. The ones I had did not have neoprene -which by the way I hear wears out quickly. My problem with the Sealskinz was that the middle layer made them slip around a bit, which I found to be irritating. If you get them small enough, that's not a problem, but then they might be too tight -lol. They kept my feet warm and dry, and they did not wear out quickly at all. In fact, they did not even have any abrasion on them.

Here's the scoop on the Sealskinz socks. The ones I got were the waterproof ones and they had three very thin layers to them, the middle one was a kind of insulation material. The ones I had did not have neoprene -which by the way I hear wears out quickly. My problem with the Sealskinz was that the middle layer made them slip around a bit, which I found to be irritating. If you get them small enough, that's not a problem, but then they might be too tight -lol. They kept my feet warm and dry, and they did not wear out quickly at all. In fact, they did not even have any abrasion on them.

Hmmm, so you quit using them just because of the slippage? Do you remember the exact model name?
Was it that they felt like they were slipping off?

Thanks Jen!

The reason I haven't tried them is that waterproof materials are bad as shoe upper material. If they fused a sole made of hard neoprene or whatever, to something that vents, such as a wool sock, then I'd be interested.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7