hydration needs?

And moreover, for the FB site, there were comments like "oh, thanks for having more water stations this year." Like they had complaints for not having enough the year before.
Although, what a great way to place in a race! With so many unneeded water stations you have a chance to blow past all the competition while they stop for their fifth cup of water at mile five. Hahaha! You could totally rock a race like that!

As others have said, this is really something that each runner has to figure out on their own. I can easily go 10 - 12 miles on a warm day with no water. I almost always bring a handheld on runs over 8 miles b/c that is how I race and I think my arm might revolt if I went from never carrying a handheld to trying to carry one for 50 miles. However, once the temp gets up towards 100 things can change pretty fast and running multiple days in a row in 100+ heat can really wear you down and make it hard to stay hydrated.

This is pretty much what I do, too. I almost always carry at least one handheld, two if it's hot.

After having a recent dehydration hospitalization after a race, I'm nervous, so I carry water with me on all my runs over 4 miles. Which is most of them. Granted, most my weekday runs are in 100 + degrees. I just bought the book Waterlogged and can't wait to learn some more about this. I carried a small camelback at the Hottest Half marathon last August and liked having it. I did not drink any more than I think I would have with the stops for cups, but I never had to stop. I just kept on going while everyone crowded those little tables.

After having a recent dehydration hospitalization after a race, I'm nervous, so I carry water with me on all my runs over 4 miles. Which is most of them. Granted, most my weekday runs are in 100 + degrees. I just bought the book Waterlogged and can't wait to learn some more about this. I carried a small camelback at the Hottest Half marathon last August and liked having it. I did not drink any more than I think I would have with the stops for cups, but I never had to stop. I just kept on going while everyone crowded those little tables.
Severe dehydration would be enough to make me carry water on a stroll around the block. Glad it worked out. How amazing that you are able to train in 100+ temps regularly. I'll try to quit whining about the 90s.

Severe dehydration would be enough to make me carry water on a stroll around the block. Glad it worked out. How amazing that you are able to train in 100+ temps regularly. I'll try to quit whining about the 90s.

I think its just a matter of where you are from... since we have so much heat, I'm more used to it. I don't do well in the cold though.

Definitely experiment and see what works for you! It's dependent on sweat rate, weather conditions, how fast you run, and how hydrated you are coming into your run.

Personally, I wouldn't drink in a 10K race unless my mouth is really dry.

In summer, I carry water or Nuun on anything longer than about six miles. I know I can go 8-9 without water, but I start to get thirsty around six miles, and then I get cranky and I won't run as hard. During the winter, I'll typically only take water if the run is over 10 miles. But like BubbaHotep, I sometimes take the handheld out more for the weight training than for the hydration. It's not too heavy, but an ultra is a lot of reps!

Yup, like they said, it varies a lot. Give Chris and Spooner lots of credit, as they're probably the highest milage runners on the site.

The last couple of runs for me were only betweeen 5 and 6 miles, but the temp ws over 90F and I was doing some hills. I don't carry, but for runs like those I was happy to plan my route to hit a water fountain at the far end of my loop route. One other thing you can do to help yourself, especially in races, is to tank up a bit aggressively. I'll typically drink 20 oz. if I know it's going to be fairly hot.

I have a 15K trail run this Sunday and I'm delighted to see that the weather's going to be cloudy with an overnight temp of about 60F, and a high for the day only going to 85F. That'll be blissful! I won't carry for that race, but will likely stop to drink at the later stage water stops, or at least grab and guzzle.

But what's the science on this? Is there any reason I should PLAN on bringing water for runs longer than say 9-10 miles, or is that something I can try out and see?

• There isn't any.
  • Try out and see.
The "science" keeps changing, but thanks, I think, to the internet, it's becoming more honest. Gatorade and Co. no longer have the power to hypnotize the publishers of Runner's World and Co.; the truth is emerging. Forums rule :cool:

But the truth (and reality as a whole) does seem to have passed right by the organizers of the 10k you mentioned... 5 water stations on a 10k is just goofy (and ppl had hydration packs to boot? Like Zap said, nice opportunity to place higher than usual, lol)

Right now, people are flocking to Timothy Noakes's book "Waterlogged" the same way they did (and I did) to his book "The Lore of Running". Well, about 80% of the "facts" in TLOR have been turned on their heads and there's no reason to expect anything different about his newest book ten or fifteen years from now.

Yes, I'm going to buy the book. Geesh. I like the guy!

Yeah, okay, but if you're actually dehydrated, the walls of your bladder can rub together, chafe, and cause you to pee blood. That happened to me once after a measly 5 mile run (coming off of a lot of air travel), and it hurt!

I'm still not going to drink 5 times during a 10K, but I'm a bit less cavalier about heading out without any water.

Hey Mr. 7ships, long time no comments! I've never tried salt pills, what sort of dosage would you recommend for, say, an hour's run in 90-degree heat? Is this something I can pick up in a grocery store or do I have to go to REI or some kind of sports specialty store?

Hey hey BL! I'm no expert but when it's hot and/or I'm running in the sun, I'm running over 16 miles, or I'm doing long trail runs I'll take a pill every half hour or so. I like Hammer Endeurolites. The big difference I get is that I'm not as worn out after a hot run and I recover faster (or maybe it's the chocolate milk). On some of those hot days I've come home and peed lemon jello...IT BURNS!!

Hey hey BL! I'm no expert but when it's hot and/or I'm running in the sun, I'm running over 16 miles, or I'm doing long trail runs I'll take a pill every half hour or so. I like Hammer Endeurolites. The big difference I get is that I'm not as worn out after a hot run and I recover faster (or maybe it's the chocolate milk). On some of those hot days I've come home and peed lemon jello...IT BURNS!!
Cool, thanks for the info. I'll look into it, because it looks like we're in for a hot July up here in the Upper Midwest. I know from my experience cycling that it can take a long time to rehydrate properly once you get behind the curve. It takes time to assimilate new liquid, it's not a matter of just topping off. That's why I begin guzzling lots of water before a run, but the salt tablets would probably be a help too. Happy trails.

Your stomach absorbs water faster if there is some sugar in it. One cup of sugar to 4 liters of water is a good ratio for me. That is what I use in the summer. I use kool-aid for flavoring, one packet is good for the 4 liters, not too strong. The weird thing is I only drink it while I am running, it tastes good then. If I try to drink it at home, it tastes gross and I have a hard time drinking it. Usually I end up adding more sugar to it then.

Waterlogged should have an interesting effect on hydration given Noakes' reputation. I have to say I more or less agree- we get carried away with hydration. I used to be a chronic over-drinker (and not the fun partying kind... at least in races), but saw a fairly dramatic jump when I cut back. I'm still having problems on long runs in hot, dry climates, but i think it's more of a training issue.

Regarding salt and/or other electrolytes- if your skin is salty, you're taking far too much. ;)

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7