Huarache knot and morton's toe

Spinningwoman

Barefooters
May 23, 2013
I like my homemade huaraches but I have noticed that in use, my feet slide so that the knot seems to end up uncomfortably just under the end of my second metatarsal which is presumably exactly where I don't want it given that I have a slight mortons toe. As I have a pair of xeros on order, I don't want to have the same issue with them. Any ideas? The xero sole is a bit thicker than the rubber I used so it may not be an issue.

The knot under the rubber sole gets somewhat flattened with use, it helps to slightly melt/soften it with a flame and than flatten it with a hammer. (This is for the the polypropylene laces that come with the Xeros - if your homemade laces are made of hemp or another natural material, this obviously wouldn't help! )
The way you tie the lace around your foot also plays a role wether or not your feet will slide in what direction and wether you'll feel the knot.
It took me some weeks to find the ideal tension for tying the xeros - until then I did feel the knot with both the 4 mm and the 6 mm.

I always had a problem with the knot, that is until I started using my drill and widening and counter sinking the hole that the knot goes in. Helps tremendously. I also used to make the smallest knot possible that would still not pull through the hole (along with the flattening idea Hobbit mentioned).

I've been wondering about using a tie-up like that used in the forefoot-only German sandals I've forgotten the name of. They had a lace come from near the edge of the sandal at the toe which went back and met up with the between toe lace. So I was wondering about just running the lace under the sole for an inch and bringing it up again nearer the edge. Might help to prevent the edge catching and folding under?

Post google edit - the Freeheel Running Pads were what I meant.
http://www.runningpad.de/images/runningpad-flip-free.png

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7