How quick do you loss fitness?

Barefoot Gentile

Barefooters
Apr 5, 2010
Fairfield, CT
So I am going on day 17 with no running, and slowly healing. I have a few races coming up in November, and just wondering how quick do you loss fitness with no activity? I have been running for about 18 years, and this is the most I have not ran in those 18 years. Maybe this a sign for me to chill a bit.

Anyways, the numbers are all over the board on this subject, but just interesting what you all have to say. I talked with a veteran marathon runner who takes 2 months off a year without running, and he says he comes back stronger than ever.

Well, Gentile, I just had to

Well, Gentile, I just had to take two months off because off my calf injury. I seem to be a little bit off my normal pace, but really I am very surprised at how well I still do. I thought for sure I would have to start all the way back at the beginning. My cardio is still right close to where I was, it's my leg muscles that have weakened the most.

I can't remember for sure, but I think one of the "rules" is you don't lose much if anything during the first two weeks of not running. After that they say you lose a lot pretty fast. I think it depends on the person really as I hate generalizing all of us as the same.

When I've taken 2-8 weeks off

When I've taken 2-8 weeks off running but did crosstraining, I really didn't lose anything other than mental power. Suddenly running for 3-5 hours sure felt a lot longer than it used to, but all my muscles were set. Maybe even better off from the building up of all the random supporting muscles that crosstraining helps with.

Now over the month I was in europe and really really busy I only ran like 4 times and didn't do any sort of crosstraining unless you count a tremendous amount of walking all over cities. I lost a lot of fitness and gained a good layer of fat to cover the atrophied muscles. I think I probably lost about 3 months worth of build up. But at the same time it seems to be coming back really fast so who knows, maybe it'll finally be the thing that lets me push past where I was sort of stalled out before.

Also I'm a girl and we lose muscle mass alot faster than men do so its probably different. I can't imagine three weeks would really matter that much especially for a guy. Afterall a typical marathon taper is 3 weeks. Granted you are still running in those, but still I don't even really think if I have an awesome week of workouts I seen any real benefits from it for a week or two. Its like it takes that long just to heal up from the "damage" (even if its the good kind of damage) I did.

How much longer do you have before you can start back up again?

@NickW,  well I am happy you

@NickW, well I am happy you are running now! Thanks for the info.

@ajb, it's not a marathon just a few 5 milers. I just read an interesting article on this topic, and it said you loss fitness faster than you gain it. Which makes sense. It also said up to two weeks, you will lose little, after two weeks on it starts to really go down. I think I have about a week more to go (I sprained the ligaments in my foot and ankles, not running related though) before I will start slowly back to running. The psychic pain of not running is worse than the actually injury, in my opinion. The mental battle is tough, but you learn allot as well from being injured.

It's funny you say that

It's funny you say that Gentile, I had a heck of a time mentally dealing with my injury to my calf. That was by far the worst part. I had this itch to go and burn off stress and energy, and I couldn't. That part was very difficult.

Remember all the woes I've

Remember all the woes I've been through due to shoes? (Yes, I love to throw that in there everytime.) Well, you really do lose conditioning, both musculoskeletally and with your plantar skin. I remember being off running for about 2-1/2 months after the cryosurgery and coming back to it, I felt like I was sucking wind! I kept at it slow and steady, and slow and steady my fitness level came back.

TJ, I do remember!   I have

TJ, I do remember! I have been doing alot of barefoot walking outside just keep my feet happy. I have been walking on gravel paths, really anything just to keep the soles busy.

@JT: I don't, but I have been riding my bike just keep the cardio going. (Not the same as running, but it's better than nothing)

I think that two weeks is the

I think that two weeks is the cut-off mark as it takes that long to see any benefits in fitness from a run, only reversed if you're not running.

Routine can be a good thing, if you can do some sort of light exercise the times you would normally run, your body won't feel so out-of-step when you return to running again.

Gentile, I generally take a

Gentile, I generally take a ton of the winter off from running and only do strength training. I've gone for as much as 3 months doing only that, and I'm right back into my normal mileage within a few weeks come spring.

I'm not sure how much strength training you are doing, but if you are able I would suggest you start some. The higher intensity the better. High intensity strength training is actually very aerobic, and will keep your conditioning quite well.

Good article on the subject (got me interested in Crossfit): http://www.cbass.com/AerobicsNeedIt.htm

Totally agreed that the

Totally agreed that the mental aspect is harder than the physical one when it comes to injuries. I've been really lucky that I've been able to crosstrain through all my injuries to keep that at a minimal, but it certainly isn't quite the same. I think if I had been in TJ's situation I probably would have just gone insane, certainly would have ended up on antidepressants by the end of it all.

At least its only a week to go. With how much you ran before plus being able to bike and walk barefoot 5 miles shouldn't be too terrible. Even if not pr able or anything at that point running will be so much fun who really cares :). Then again I lack competitive spirit lol.

You do lose fitness faster

You do lose fitness faster than you gain it...Just like you gain weight faster than you lose it. However, the body has this weird ability (no I don't have a source to prove it, but it has been my experience) to "remember" what you were capable of doing before you took the time off. I'm not saying you'll start back at exactly where you were, but you won't be at the bottom of the hill either. I wouldn't call it muscle memory, because that relates to specific anatomical movements (at least that's how I understand it).

When I took 2 weeks off last month, I only lost about 15 seconds per mile pace wise. I didn't lose any distance capabilities cardiovascularly speaking. As for foot strength, all the walking I did in Vegas, barefoot and in Lunas, kept my feet strong. I will say that my pads required a little reminder when I got back to running. First few runs were a bit short...Usually 2-3 miles, as compared to my normal 4-6 miles. So, take that as you will.

Aaron

saypay45 wrote:Gentile, I

saypay45 said:
Gentile, I generally take a ton of the winter off from running and only do strength training. I've gone for as much as 3 months doing only that, and I'm right back into my normal mileage within a few weeks come spring.

I'm not sure how much strength training you are doing, but if you are able I would suggest you start some. The higher intensity the better. High intensity strength training is actually very aerobic, and will keep your conditioning quite well.

Good article on the subject (got me interested in Crossfit): http://www.cbass.com/AerobicsNeedIt.htm

Hi,

Good to hear, i feel the same will happen as well.

In my youngers years i was really into lifting weights, and somewhat bodybuilding (i knew you were as well). So I always liked strength training, I am actually getting back more into it. I don't have a gym membership, but do have a variety of dumb bells, a bench, and a dip/chinup bar. I am really like body weight resistance exercises I do things like crossfit, but not intense. In the dead of winter I might pick up the intensity of strength training, I find it's a huge benefit to running, and really everything else.

Thanks for the article, I will definitely check it out!