Hip and back grief

barefootin ohio

Barefooters
Nov 5, 2010
Well I have been fighting through this for while now but I am starting to get worried so here I am. I have been running barefoot/ minimlist footware for about a year now. When I run I have no issues at all, but for whatever reason when I am not running my hip and lower back ache. I have been treating this with foam rolling my Piriformis and IT band out. I was hoping someone could help me out. The back pain is around my lower back and the hip pain is right on the outside of my hips. and Ia

It's hard to tell you what is

It's hard to tell you what is causing this. If you were running barefoot all the time, then we could say perhaps it has something to do with the way you run barefoot. If you were running minimalist all the time, then we could say perhaps it has something to do with the way you run in minimalist footwear.

What percentage do you run barefoot?

What percentage do you run minimal?

Do you run faster barefoot or minimal?

Do you run farther barefoot or minimal?

What terrrains do you run on barefoot?

What terrains do you run on minimal?

Perhaps a good deep tissue massage or some PT is in order. Good luck. I hope you are able to figure out how to resolve this.

bf Ohio, i feel your pain.

bf Ohio,

i feel your pain. i had a hip injury that i didn't feel until a year after it happened. when i start losing my form my back bothers me. when my hip is bothering me on a run i stop immediately. i went to a pt a few years ago and they showed me some exercises that relieves some of the pain but still hasn't gone away. my chiro didn't see anything there but i do know i had a nice bone chip inside my hip socket from falling on my side so hard.

your going have to seek some professional help on this one. i know i need to go visit my chiro again to help with the pain. i also do some yoga along with those exercises i was taught and that helps. thankfully the most pain happens at the end of the night when i'm ready for bed so i generally wake up feeling fresh and ready for a new day.

Mike

Not sure if this is true for

Not sure if this is true for everyone, but from my extensive history with ITBS the pain always flared up during the run (could seldom go farther than 3 miles) so even though that definitely causes hip (and knee) issues I am not entirely convinced it is that. Is the pain usually worst after you have cooled down from a run/excercise?

A video to analyze your form might be helpful. I'm not really an expert on this, but you hips should remain fairly stationary under you . Many people have a tendency to stick their ass out instead of tucking their hips under them, and I would guess this could create strain on the lower back. Maybe your feet are not landing directly under their respective hips causing some swivel action (I am pretty sure I am guilty of this as I find it very easy to run both feet over the same painted road line.

Stretch out your hamstrings,

Stretch out your hamstrings, glutes and hips after every run and at least twice a day. It is more important to stretch than roll in my opinion. You don't have to be gumbi, but having adequate range of motion is important.

Thank you everyone for your

Thank you everyone for your wisdom I have started looking for a PT to at least pinpoint the issue for me. As far the questions TJ aksed here we go.

What percentage do you run barefoot? Since the weather has gotten warm I am doing about 95% of my running barefoot

What percentage do you run minimal? Same thing as above during the winter I ran only in my VFFs

Do you run faster barefoot or minimal? About the same unless I hit a really bad patch of gravel then I have to slow down barefoot.

Do you run farther barefoot or minimal? About the same I have more longer runs in my VFFs than barefoot my max barefoot is 10 my max minimal is 18

What terrrains do you run on barefoot? Asphalt I did a 10mi trail run a while back mostly dirt. I have tried gravel roads and it is too much.

What terrains do you run on minimal? Mostly asphalt but I have done some gravel roads and such too.

I will have to try to videotape my stride to see what is happening, but I have started stretching more and it seems to help. My hamstrings are really tight so I am trying to loosen them back up.

Thank You all again.

Brian

You said you've been dealing

You said you've been dealing with this problem for a while. How long is a while? You have a year barefoot/minimal behind you. Since you wear or don't wear footwear according to the season, I would guess that would be half a year in minimal footwear and half a year barefoot. Do you remember having this problem when you were running the previous warmer months only barefoot? Did you have this problem when you were running in VFFs during the colder months?

Have your SI

Have your SI (sacroiliac) joint and hip joint checked out by a PT or Chiro. I had similar problems and it turned out to be a "stuck" SI joint and "stuck" hip joint. I recently started doing exercises by, Richard DonTingy, PT (look his work up online), for the SI joint, designed to "reset" the joint, and they are working really well.

Yes, and don't rule out

Yes, and don't rule out ahything. My chiro was telling me that someone I had referred to him because he'd had no luck with other docs who had back and leg pain turned out to not have a running issue at all, but a mass in his back that was revealed with x-ray.

That's some eye-opening stuff

That's some eye-opening stuff there, ladies. I wonder why he feels better when he runs though. Interesting.

I know, but I wish Ohio could

I know, but I wish Ohio could run without stopping, so there would be no pain. Ha! Ohio probably just wishes the pain would stop without having to run.

This is a good clip of strait

This is a good clip of strait on BRF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpnhKcvbsMM

From watching the Doc run, he doesn't run a single line, but feet pretty much side by side landings.

I'm curious about this, cause my wife said her hips were bothering her at the back after our last 4 mile run. They didn't get in her way of finishing and she didn't act like it was a lot of pain...thought maybe she was head chasing. She's gonna check her form next time we run...

-Jonny

That is our resident MD, Mark

That is our resident MD, Mark Cucuzzella. Cool, huh!?

Jonny00GT wrote:Barefoot TJ

Jonny00GT said:
Barefoot TJ said:

Yeah!? Sweet!! I've seen a few of his Youtube vids. I want one of those shirts!!

-Jonny

That dude runs like a gazelle. The one that outruns the bushmen. Not the kudu that gets persistenced to death.

Gkikas, you crack me up!

Gkikas, you crack me up!

Gkikas wrote:Jonny00GT

Gkikas said:
Jonny00GT said:
Barefoot TJ said:

Yeah!? Sweet!! I've seen a few of his Youtube vids. I want one of those shirts!!

-Jonny

That dude runs like a gazelle. The one that outruns the bushmen. Not the kudu that gets persistenced to death.

Hell, I'd take either one! If you can't catch me or it takes you 20+ miles to do it...that's pretty damn good!! I got spanked by a bunch of 9-13yr olds in my race this weekend...I'm more like a fainting goat! (Youtube, if you don't know what a fainting goat is...worth a chuckle!)

-Jonny

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7