Hi from Boulder!

Sapphira

Barefooters
Feb 8, 2013
Hi everyone! New here, obviously and just looking around. Was looking for forums because I want to understand more about my choice to wear minimalist shoes (I'm not choosing 100% barefoot), and to try to get into running more. I've been jogging regularly for several months now with Merrel Pace glove... I found them by accident in the store and just can't go back to normal shoes. My feet are larger and more healthy, and I'm using them so much more naturally.

Welcome!

If you're comfortable wearing minshoes, then by all means continue doing so. A lot of us run barefoot, but many wear minshoes, and even die-hard barefoot runners sometimes choose minshoes in adverse/freezing weather.

Minshoe running isn't the same as barefoot running, and proficiency running in minshoes on hard surfaces doesn't usually translate to barefoot running, due to hard surfaces being much less forgiving of less than ideal form. With properly fitting shoes, barefoot runners usually can run fine in minshoes. However, one doesn't have to be barefoot to enjoy running.

Although I learned to run barefoot on my neighborhood roads, I'd say that I actually prefer minshoes if I run on hard surfaces. I do really enjoy running on dirt, grass, or sandy trails, and I definitely kick off the shoes for those runs. I think it only makes sense, as one takes off their shoes when going to the beach, as our feet were made to walk on natural surfaces! Sadly though, I have to drive a bit out of my way to get to natural trails.

Welcome!

Reactions: Sapphira
Welcome! There are a lot of knowledgeable, helpful folks here that are happy to share their thoughts.

I am a minimalist runner. I usually run in Luna Leadvilles.

Hi! Welcome to the fray! While I normally run barefoot, I do have a pair of huaraches (Invisible/Xero shoes) that I sometimes long for when I encounter gravel. Point being, while we promote barefoot running, we understand it's up to what each individual is comfortable with.

Now, about your avatar - is that what you normally run in? Do you find the wings (they are wings, right? or is that a spoiler of some sort?) create a lot of drag? :D

Welcome to the site, Saphira. I also prefer barefoot, but I run fairly regularly - particularly during the winter - in Vibram Five Fingers. Learning truly barefoot first helps you ensure you get your form right while giving your feet a chance to adapt and strengthen. I started in VFFs first and promptly ran into a stress fracture trying to do too much too soon. So I started over barefoot after 10 weeks of foot bone healing, then added in the VFFs as needed for temperature or rough terrain. Glad to have you with us!

Welcome to the board. I'm glad that you have been able to find a shoe that fits you well. I agree with the previous posters in regards to take it slowly and, although it is hard, try not to do too much too soon.

Welcome to the group. I'm running completely barefoot and recently ran a 1/2 marathon barefoot. I haven't tried min-shoes yet but usually carry socks with me just in case. I just started my barefoot endeavor the beginning of this year and only wear shoes/sneakers/boots when necessary. I go to work and all around town barefoot and throw on a pair of slip on sneaker style sandals when needed to go into a store. Working, I'm required to wear boots (sucks, but I have to).

Welcome and enjoy, lots of great folks and support here.

Reactions: Phil Hart

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts