Hello!

Otherwise Fine

Barefooters
Sep 15, 2013
Hi, I have been running in VFFs for about 16 months. I really love running, I get a bit anxious if I haven't run for a few days. I don't run very far and am always battling the pressures of life with trying to get out for a run. Most of the time I get about 20 to 30km a week. I have run 4 half marathons, but that was in normal shoes, so my aim is to be able to do a half marathon in my toe shoes.

Last year I had about 4 months off from running because of top of foot pain, it eventually went away and for this year it has been ok. But now I have toe numbness on my right foot (second toe). I have morton's toes so have all sorts of problems with my second toe on my right foot. It's not too bad but quite annoying overall. Today I put a couple of stitches in my VFFs to hold to second toe next to the big toe because my second toe seems to angle the wrong way. This seemed to work a bit better though I ended up with a hot point on the tip of my second toe. Oh well, the trials continue....

Anyway, enough whinging. I've been lurking for a few days reading the huge wealth of information on here and filling my head with with tons of great stuff. I live in New Zealand and haven't yet spotted anyone else in VFFs. I did read in the paper about a year ago about a policeman who runs full on barefoot. I haven't gone properly barefoot running yet - the stones on the road are pretty sharp, yeah I'm a bit of a cry baby. I only wear shoes at work or if going into to town, most of the time I kick around barefoot or in gumboots. I'm not a fast runner but very keen and like to push myself.

My next steps are to increase the number of kms per week and get to the big 21.1km. I've managed to get my average pace under 5mins/km from 5:25mins/km which I'm really pleased about. I'm aiming for a half marathon at 1:45, I hope my toe lets me do that!

So here's a big Hi from me.

Hello! Welcome to this fine place. I'm pretty sure you're not alone in your minimalist running in NZ as I was in a store in Queenstown a few years ago and the Scots guy running it told me they were selling a good number.

Taking it easy on some of your runs will help in the long haul.

Enjoy.

I've heard that NZ is the barefoot capital of the civilized world. Not true?

Otherwise:

Glad to have you here. I run minimal quite often, but it's never as sheerly fun as my BF runs. The BF runs really make you tune your form precisely, which should also help with your VFF-shod runs. Welcome aboard.

I agree a lot with the bolded text. Barefoot is a whole lot of fun. I still can remember how when I first began converting to barefoot, I looked at the chip-seal of the road I lived along and couldn't wrap my head around the idea of bare feet running on it. But as I read more and more by people who could run on it or gravel even, and as I began walking on it and the soles of the feet grew stronger and more resilient, 8 weeks after kicking off my shoes I found that I could go short distances running on it. It felt good and it was fun.

Still haven't worked up the nerve yet to try gravel, but I will someday.

Welcome! Please feel free to join the New Zealand Chapter through the Chapters link above.

Reactions: migangelo
Reactions: Sid
"disconcerting number of Kiwis walk around without shoes"
Maybe the writer saw one or two people walking around barefoot...

The waiting for the walk sign is so true!

We probably ditch our shoes more often than other Westerners but when it comes to barefoot running I haven't seen anyone running barefoot.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon