Hello! (I'm the one in the middle)

Sid

Barefooters
Jan 1, 2011
Florida
Hello everyone!

Kicking off the shoes has been one of the best things that I've ever done!

I've been running on and off since college, and a couple of years ago, I thought it was time to get back in shape! I got a pair of KSO Treks, though being a bit self-conscious of the Gorilla feet, I only used them at night while walking the dogs. Walking led to jogging. Jogging led to running, and I got the Bikila's when they came out. They felt lighter and faster, but they still didn't feel quite right. I was getting calluses from the Bikila's and decided to kick them off for a one mile run, at night so no one could see me.

Liberation!

It was great, and I haven't looked back!

So, the whole transition did take time, with lots of stretching and patience as muscles, tendons, ligaments, and bones were being re-awakened. I did get in shape last year, though a large part by using exercise videos. Then the winter holidays struck, and I packed on the pounds again.

Got motivated again, but the workout videos were getting a bit stale. Back to running! I added some mileage slowly, and picked up the pace after getting a GPS watch. "Oh look, it posts my times and distance to Facebook. Can't slack now!" Then, got even more motivated, when a co-worker decided to do some Disney races. "Hey, maybe I can do that, too!?"

The Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon in Nov 2012 does look like fun. "Oh no, I need an official time to get placed in a corral. Well hey, there's a Marine Corps Half Marathon in Jacksonville in Oct 2012. Oh look, shiny medals!"

I'm up to 8 miles, now, and the weight is melting off. So far, so good! I guess I've been bitten by the bug!

Best regards,
Sid

P.S. Oh yes, I do run in the daytime now. However, with the Florida heat, it often ends up being in the early morning before work, when it's cooler though dark..

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Loving the journey, Sid!

Reactions: Sid
Welcome Sid! I'm new here too and also in Florida! Where do you live in Florida?? I'm down in Boca and I feel you on the heat! My lungs are getting used to all this humidity again and my body trying to not be so sluggish. I'm kind of a glutton for punishment and on the weekends get out around 10 - 2pm and soak up all that sun though:) Glad you've found barefoot running too and good luck with your goals - sounds like you're well on your way!

Reactions: Sid
In Central FL. I agree, the humidity is not fun. It really just sucks all the energy out of you! I get up early and run before work. It's cooler, but I think it's often more humid at 5AM. Though, I pretty much have the streets all to myself, with the exception of one or two other early runners, dog walkers, and the rare car.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!:)

During my morning run, I reflected that although Florida can be hot, there is the benefit of having good barefoot running weather almost every day. In the summer, the morning is manageable. Even on the coldest days, after work is usually okay. For the occasional thunderstorm or nearby wildfire, I suppose there's always Stairmaster, which is fine, since it's pretty flat around here.

I agree Sid-all in all we are pretty lucky here in Florida that we can run year round and the worst is that we sweat so much it's like we were in a sauna! I'm from Wisconsin and have been down here 5 years now and I still miss the seasons a lot, but I've finally realized how much more I run and how great it is:)

Yes, sweat is definitely a problem. I just got a Sweat Gutr. It's pretty great. Okay, it looks pretty dorky, but I run in the morning when it's dark anyway. Now, I don't have to wipe my brow every minute, which tends to throw off my rhythm.

Hi Sid! Hey that Sweat Gutr is not that bad at all! I never heard of it before, but just looked it up and might have to get one myself! I had honestly considered the old school original sweat band, then opted for the wrist sweat bands (like they wear in tennis) and do wear it for my runs, then just wipe my brow. Glad to hear you like it and it's working...we need it, dorky or not I'm in.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7