Hello from Oxfordshire, UK

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ginger Ninja, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Ginger Ninja Barefooters

Message Count:
    Hi,

I'm a newcomer to barefoot running and running in general. I could never get into running in the past, I would always end up with sore knees and or back.
    I had an unsuccessful foray into minimalist running with five fingers and few months ago, I actually found them more restrictive to my toes than a normal pair of shoes.

I have been wearing other minimalist shoes out and about since then and I have always gone barefoot at home and have noticed my posture has improved and my back pain has dissipated.

I finally pushed myself into trying barefoot running after watching a documentary on the BBC about the human foot and I have now successfully completed three 1 milers in the past week. I am obviously still working on my form and accustoming my feet but I was completely sold on it during the last few hundred metres of my second run, when I just felt like I was gliding along the road. I think that was the first time I've experience the joy of running since I was a little kid.

I look forward to getting involved in the forum,

Chris
  2. Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    Welcome, Ninja!

Continue with the skin-to-ground (STG) running, so you won't get tainted with a sole interfering with your feedback. You will do better this way.

If you do have to go for minshoes, try some huaraches, since the FiveFingers mess with your toes.

3. happysongbird Chapter Presidents
    1. Idaho
    2. Presidents

Message Count:
    When I'm running and people ask why I'm doing it bare footed, I always start my answer with "it's more fun!" Welcome!

4. Phil Hart Barefooters
    1. North Carolina

Message Count:
    Welcome, Chris. Sounds like a great start, just keep your transition slow and steady to avoid injury. Glad to have you with us!

dharmadan, happysongbird and Bare Lee like this.
  5. Frank - Run for life Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Message Count:
    Welcome Chris,

Yes this is a great forum, lots of great people, articles & advice. Im still a novice also but as you say when it all come together its like running on air.

Good luck

Frank
  6. JosephTree Barefooters
    1. Pennsylvania
    2. New Jersey

Message Count:
    Welcome Chris. I seems like the UK chapters are doing quite well.

I like BF running because, when done right, it's really easy to sneak up on people.

Have fun and take your time! It took me a couple years to feel like my feet and legs were truly developed and ready for nearly anything I cared to run. Enjoy the process and you will do just fine.

Phil Hart likes this.
  7. Ginger Ninja Barefooters

Message Count:
    Thanks for the welcome guys.

I'm trying to keep the STG runs up but have only managed a few more since my last post due to cold weather and rain.

I feel like trying to exclusively go barefoot in this weather is holding my running back as I have no desire to return to standard running shoes so end up not running much,

I'm going to buy a pair of sockwas that will hopefully tide me over till the weather improves, but will try and keep there use to a minimum.

I am definitely sold on STG running though, so far no problems and the sensation is incredible.