Hello from Albuquerque

Buckeye Matt

Barefooters
Nov 23, 2013
Rochester New York
Hello my name is Matt and I'm currently living in Albuquerque. Several years ago I used to run relatively frequently. At one point I started preparing for a marathon but I was in college at the time and I took about 2 weeks off for finals and haven't run much since until recently. A few months ago I decided I needed to do something to get into shape and to be honest I found barefoot running on accident when trying to decide if the expensive running shoes were really worth the money.... I read about BF running and dove in feet first. I read Ken Bob's book and started running completely barefoot on gravel and have progressively increased my time, speed and distances. I was worried about the weather turning cold but I ran in the snow (remember this is Abq, so it was really just snow dust) and although my feet were cold and I couldn't have done a long run (yet) my feet were okay for 1.3 miles.

I have a pair of minimalist shoes that I wear in public because I'm not quite ready to shop barefoot like many of you. Give me a few more months and maybe I'll be there. Even though I generally wear shoes in public, I've been almost exclusively barefoot at home even while doing things I would have normally worn boots for. I've hiked several times barefoot and I even cut down a tree barefoot.

I've been reading the posts on this forum for months and I figured it was time to join so that I can contine to learn from all of you veteran BF runners. Thanks for all of the information you already have already posted.

Matt

...I found barefoot running on accident when trying to decide if the expensive running shoes were really worth the money...Matt

LOVE THIS! Welcome, Buck!

Feel free to join the New Mexico Chapter, if you haven't already, and post there. It's been a slow chapter, but maybe someone will be in your area and respond.

Reactions: Phil Hart
Buck - it's official now as TJ has labeled you. Matt no more. Welcome to the family.

Not all of us are full-blown hippies. I'm barefoot around the house and run both BF and minimal, depending on the conditions (I only went minimal after I had made good BF form into muscle memory - TJ's excellent phrase is "shoes as tools" when needed), but I don't do all of life BF. I run BF and go BF at home because it's good for me, but I'm not an "I DARE you to say something about my being barefoot in WalMart" person; I have nothing to prove, and I try not to offend others whenever I can reasonably avoid doing so. More power to you if you want to fully embrace BF living, but not all of us here go that far.

Glad to have you with us. Ask lots of questions as they arise for you, as there is a veritable plethora of experienced, friendly and helpful folks here who will share their experiences with you.

Phil

Reactions: Bare Lee

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts