Heel striking in VFFs

C. Beth Run.

Barefooters
Jul 6, 2010
I've realized lately that sometimes I heel strike in my VFFs. I thought/hoped it was mostly when I was tired & my form was suffering, but today I realized how much I've worn down their heels compared to the forefoot, and I've realized maybe it's something I'm doing most of the time, not just some of the time. EGADS!

Now, I do know my form is MUCH better than it was in my old Asics. If I am heel striking, it's with way less force than it used to be...more of a gentle heel strike. Also, my husband pointed out that some of the wearing down of my shoes' heels might be from my walk breaks. (I heel strike then, which I think is just fine while walking.)

My legs are pretty healthy right now, so I'm getting away with it. But I know that could change, and I want to change my form BEFORE it becomes a big problem. I was feeling like maybe I'd turned into more of a minimalist runner than a barefoot runner. I really do like the "in between-ness" of minimalism. I've realized, though, that I need to start incorporating more barefoot time into my runs, so that I can once again get into the habit of having a nice, midfoot or forefoot strike.

This is my fear when it comes

This is my fear when it comes to the merrell's mom ordered me.. I had been shying from the idea of shoes at all.. because I am afraid I'll heel strike and lose my form.. but I think one thing you could do is have someone videotape you as you run by... (don't predetermine where exactly on your route they will be) and see what your form really looks like.. I know when I was doing marathons and running high school cross country my coach (he stuck with me when I graduated until I quit running) would do this to us on occasion and then make us watch...

Try to get at least one

Try to get at least one barefoot run in a week even in winter if possible, it will keep your form tuned up. There are several forms of heel striking in shoes some not as bad others.

If I spend more than 2 weeks in a row shoe running during the winter I notice it when I run barefoot again, its still decent form but not the same. It takes me only one or two barefoot runs for a tune up and I'm good again.

It amazes me that mostly shod runners don't do this in the summer as a running drill just to help their overall running.

I think this is the main

I think this is the main reason why I now only run barefoot. Since I'm still new to running i really want to learn how to run correctly for me.

I found even with VFF's on my form changes and i tend to overdo it or my form dissolves and I get injuried because of that.

I heard a runner coming up behind me on my last long run and all I could hear was a slapping sound and this guy passed me in a pair of Classics heel stiking on a downhill at a flat out pace. I just shook my head and kept on going.

I think walking in them at

I think walking in them at all would do that. Or do you maybe just touch the ground with them without actually heelstriking, just bringing the whole foot down at once? I have found that the heels in the VFF's wear out like crazy, but I don't feel like it means I am heelstriking when I run.

OMG!  When I read this

OMG! When I read this thread's title, I was like, "THAT'S ME!" Even after all this time barefoot, if I put something on my feet, I heel strike. As Mokie above was running right next to me, and I was wearing my new Bikilas at the time, he says, "You're heel striking." I said, "Well no damn wonder!" I just can't seem to control my heel striking when I have something on my feet. I will tell myself to lean forward more, but then find myself heel striking once again. I've given up on ever thinking I can run efficiently and SAFELY in any type of footwear, but that's just me. Other people can probably go back and forth without problems, but not me. My mantra, "In order to run my best, I have to run barefoot."

I've had the same problem.

I've had the same problem. Its not always possible to go barefoot(its dark or very hard gravel,etc) and with any footwear my form suffers. Didn't like VFFs as found the heel area too hard,probably as going back to a little heel strke.I did run too far too soon in VFFs...yep that mistake!...and my heels suffered.A little wary of any foorwear now,and run barefoot as much as possible.

Luna sandals seem about the best as to keeping barefoot form,but I suspect eveyone is different!

I think if you want to heel

I think if you want to heel strike BF, it is just fine. My rule is Ken Bob's rule: if it hurts you are doing it wrong. So if it isn't hurting, no worries. I am trying to move back onto my heels more to save my metty heads from the worst of it. Midfoot seems to be best for me and that means feeling the heels. It hurts to run forefoot, it doesn't hurt to use the heels, means I am OK. Heels are not the devil.

I really, really appreciate

I really, really appreciate all the feedback. This is a lot of good stuff to think about!

khyricat--I'm thinking about trying the video thing. Great idea; thanks!

mokaman--I've actually heard of a lot of shod runners who do barefoot drills. I think it's great!

kentox--My 10K race course yesterday was a very hilly one. I like sprinting down hills--a nice way to let gravity help my overall time. And I'll admit, I was hitting the pavement hard down those hills, and I know I wasn't a gentle runner during those times. Downhill is fun but it's definitely hard to stay gentle when you're letting gravity take over.

jschwab--Very good thoughts & I'm glad to hear yours wear out on the heels too. I definitely use my heels when I run, even when I have a midfoot strike. I've focused on making sure I use my whole foot and getting better at that has helped me get past Achilles pain and arch pain.

TJ--Ha ha, if I am doing a lot of heel striking in my VFFs, I'm glad I'm not the only one!!

andymuk--I have homemade huaraches and I don't love the feel of running in them. But I'm really, really looking forward to the ZEM 360s coming out--I think they'll have more of an overall thin tread, instead of the extra-thick heel on the VFFs. Probably will be less comfortable to heel strike in them.

Nyal--I actually love your perspective. I have specifically tried to do more of a whole-foot landing, and that means using my heels more. But it also means my arches haven't had any bad cramping up in the last month or two--when I really had a strong forefoot strike, I had arch issues. So I'm going to mull over what you're saying. I do think I need to be more GENTLE than I am in VFFs. I need to find the balance between being gentle and light, but still using my whole foot so I don't go back to having arch issues.

I'm with Nyal. I actually

I'm with Nyal. I actually started running BF/Minimalist to get off running on my toes. My heels were the least of my worry. I consider it kind of a myth that it's the worst thing ever to heel strike/touch. I heel strike alot, always have, but i you look at there my shoes are worn, it's all up around the toes (ouch!). I'll take the heel pounding.

I went with VFF's for a while

I went with VFF's for a while this winter with BF runs in the middle. I didn't notice till later when my ITB issues started coming back that i was over-striding/heal striking/lower cadence in my VFF's. These are all things that immediately go away when I'm barefoot. I swore them off for good although I've been able to keep my form intact much better in my ZEM's.

I'm not going to be needed them now that the weather has changed, but it was a good lesson for me this winter. 1 month in VFF's almost set me back to ground zero and jeopardized my marathon next week. Everyone is different, I need my MTV (aka bare feet)

The important thing about

The important thing about heel striking though is to make sure you are not created a situation that can show up later. It might now show up now, but later... Be gentle in all your steps, no matter how they may be.

I land so much harder when I have something on my feet. I can be in the middle of a run with something on my feet, feeling heavy, uncomfortable, take off my huaraches, VFFs, even socks (whatever) and start to run a whole lot lighter. That's just me.

Yeah - yanno, I didn't really

Yeah - yanno, I didn't really get the hang of my form until I stopped worrying about my heel hitting the ground. I land mid-foot so basically even though the middle of my foot takes the first brunt of my weight when I land, it's almost as if the whole foot touches the ground at the same time (or milliseconds away from the same time). The only thing you really need to worry about, I think, is making sure you don't overstride. That's where problems came in for me.

I know a lot of people run

I know a lot of people run into this, and some of them really are, and some just kind of Think they are. Wearing Anything on your feet just changes how You feel (not just how your feet feel). Sometimes, even though you've got your stride down barefoot, just having something on your feet sends your brain reverting back to your old stride (and why not - chances are your body is much more use to your heel strike then not)!

my thought would be the tendency for people (especially if you have something on your feet where your feet can't scream at you as much when they feel something) to overstride. On one run, instead of runing and constantly thinking 'don't hit your heel, don't hit your heel!, try just focusing on keeping your knees bent and taking Short, quick steps (keep your feet landing directly under your center of gravity, not out in front of you). If you overstride, your heel will stretch out and land first, where as if you'll shorten your stride (and just quicken your pace) and land with your feet underneath your core, your forefoot/midfoot will prevail!

Thank you all for the helpful

Thank you all for the helpful comments!

I just did 5K, and was barefoot for almost 2 miles of it--the furthest I've gone bare since fall! I need to rebuild my soles. I was surprised how good my soles felt during that time, though; I don't think it'll take long before their really nicely conditioned again. It helps that I'm barefoot at home a lot.

Anyway, it felt like I was just making a small adjustment, with my feet more under my center and perhaps knees slightly more bent. (Just as Second Wind was saying; we're on the same page there.) When I put my VFFs back on, I think it was a little easier to have a decent form than it had been before I took them off.

It does make me happy that being bare, I only felt like I was making minor adjustments--so I think my form in my VFFs has probably not been bad. But little tweaks can definitely make a difference, so I'm glad I'm getting some barefoot mileage again.

If the only thing that makes

If the only thing that makes you think you are heal striking is the wear on the VFFs I'm not sure you really are. I know I don't heal strike barefoot, but I still have significantly thicker skin there than what I used to running only shod. I've gotten small blisters on my heals on occasion and I'm sure if I wore VFFs I'd have some wear on their heals. But thats from my midfoot strike not from a heal strike. The video taping followed by slow motion viewing is probably the best way to decide how you are really landing.

I just sent my daughter to

I just sent my daughter to fetch one of my Bikilas. (They're kept in a special place where no one has to enjoy their special ambieance. You're right at least halfway, Gentile) It showed just a bit of wear on the toe pads and none at all on the heel since I' got them last September, more than 300 miles ago. I like to run in them almost as much as BF lately. That's mostly because my soles just aren't ready for much more than a couple miles BF yet. I think that will change now that pavements are starting to warm up.

...but the point of the thread, heel striking in VFF's, seems not to be one of my problems. Maybe it's because I learned to run from scratch and went BF for a whole summer before bringing VFFs into the mix.

That is so true, JT, and why

That is so true, JT, and why we recommend people learn to run barefoot first. Don't "transition" like I did, carrying my shoes all the way! Yuck! If I knew then what I know now...

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7