Heel Pain From A Certain Shoe

Haselsmasher

Barefooters
Apr 3, 2010
There was a thread a while ago about needing to the find the right minimalist shoe - that some shoes don't work for some people. I sense my situation is in this category. I'm trying to figure out why this is happening.

When I run either barefoot or in Saucony Kinvaras my feet are fine - my heel pain doesn't occur and things seem grand. Today I went out in my Saucony Bullets (a 80s I think retro model from Saucony). The only thing that was different was wearing these shoes. The pain is now here. It's not serious and it will recover quickly. The pain is on the lateral heel - right where the skin transitions from vertical surface to plantar surface. It's slightly behind (anterior) to the lateral malleolus.

These Saucony Bullets have a thin and flexible forefoot with some heel. They *are* quite narrow and I do have very flat feet. A podiatrist on another board talks about some minimal shoes being worse than barefoot because the medial portion of the foot can "spill over" from the foot bed and the foot is allowed to go lower on the medial side as compared to being barefoot. I'm wondering if this might be my situation and thus stressing something in the foot to cause this pain.

I'm happy to run in the Kinvaras because it seems I can do so pain free. I wish I could get into something more minimal. It's pretty hard to call Kinvaras minimal.

What should one look for in a minimalist shoe? Maybe flat footers just need to look for a wide shoe? Might we actually be heading to categorizing minimalist shoes - like conventional shoes have been for so long?

Jim

We have a sticky in the main

We have a sticky in the main forum about this very thing, standardizing minshoes according to categories, mostly to eliminate those shoes who try to say they are minimalist when in fact they are not. Check it out. It's also come up lately again, and some of us are trying to define the details of how this will go. Please feel free to comment on that thread.

You should contact Nyah ( Nyah) via PM. He seems to be our resident minshoe observant/expert, if you will. He knows a lot about the nuiances and details between the shoes. He may be able to recommend something to you, something that will stop your foot from rolling under on the side like that.

I hope you can find something that works for you. At least, your own bare feet do, right? Good luck!

Jim, shoes are unique to

Jim,

shoes are unique to eah person. there is no one perfect shoe. if the kinvara feels good then use it. walk barefoot too to strengthen. likely need to try on sevral pair to find good fit for you.

this thread helpful

http://naturalrunningcenter.com/2011/12/08/2652/

Dr. Mark

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7