Getting Back Into Shape - New Parents

Big Joel

Barefooters
Jul 1, 2012
Arlington, VA
Hey everyone,

So my wife and I just had our first child a month ago, and have been totally occupied with all things newborn. Our baby girl is doing great, so as we move into the second month of being parents, I'm starting to get back out running a couple times a week. Not long stretches, but a few miles at a time. I was never a long distance runner to begin with, so I'm not heartbroken about starting off slow. Nevertheless, it is a little discouraging feeling so sluggish.

Does anyone have any advice for running for new parents? We aren't exactly sleeping much which virtually kills the motivation to go out running as well as the ability to actually perform at our best on the run, but know we need to get moving. Also, I totally understand that as a guy, I'm dealing with about 1 billionth the issues that women deal with post-childbirth, but thought I'd see what others have experienced (both from men and women) and check the pulse for ideas for motivating and finding time to run.

Thanks all!

Joel

Reactions: Bare Lee
Can you spell "running stroller?" Especially as the tikes get just a little more robust, they love to get taken out for a ride.

If you start on that road, remember: the kid's comfort comes first! If they start to get cranky, ditch the run. There's no percentage in fighting the inevitable.

Balance. It's all about balance. Always a challenge, but it's all good.
We're still fitting in time for our youngest who's now 21 and in university but living at home with us, my father who just turned 91, and our grandaughter who's already 0.5.
There's much more to life than running, but don't let all that interfere with staying healthy and fit.
Nobody ever said it was going to be easy to do it all, but it can be done!

Can you spell "running stroller?" Especially as the tikes get just a little more robust, they love to get taken out for a ride.

If you start on that road, remember: the kid's comfort comes first! If they start to get cranky, ditch the run. There's no percentage in fighting the inevitable.
Make sure to try running with a stroller before you buy one (although you should be able to find one cheap on craigslist). I personally didn't like running with a jogging stroller. I didn't like not using my arms, but kids definitely like it and as hatelove says, it's a good nap-inducing tool.

As for maintaining your previous lifestyle with young'uns, the only solution I've found is sleep deprivation, but it does get easier after the first 3-6 months when they start sleeping more through the night and aren't so fragile.

And opps, almost forgot, congratulations!

Reactions: Big Joel
Make sure to try running with a stroller before you buy one (although you should be able to find one cheap on craigslist). I personally didn't like running with a jogging stroller. I didn't like not using my arms, but kids definitely like it and as hatelove says, it's a good nap-inducing tool.
As far as this idea of not being able to move your arms, you can run with just one hand on the stroller and you do learn how to move while pushing the stroller. That's mostly how I run because if I did not run with the stroller I would never get a run in. If you were to get a running stroller I would recommend a BOB with a front wheel that locks for running, but then also unlocks for those times when you're just walking at the mall or store or what have you. Congrats on the new little one!

Reactions: Big Joel
As far as this idea of not being able to move your arms, you can run with just one hand on the stroller and you do learn how to move while pushing the stroller. That's mostly how I run because if I did not run with the stroller I would never get a run in. If you were to get a running stroller I would recommend a BOB with a front wheel that locks for running, but then also unlocks for those times when you're just walking at the mall or store or what have you. Congrats on the new little one!
OK, I stand corrected. Let me rephrase that: I don't like running without moving one or both of my arms. If I were in your situation though, I would deal with it.

Go Hawks!
Go Packers!
Go Broncos!
Don't go Pats!

OK, I stand corrected. Let me rephrase that: I don't like running without moving one or both of my arms. If I were in your situation though, I would deal with it.

Go Hawks!
Go Packers!
Go Broncos!
Don't go Pats!

When I had my first, Hubby was still in the military and gone a huge chunk of the first year. For me, it was either run with a stroller or don't run. This has continued even with the races we do. We both want to run in the races and have no one to watch kiddo. The stroller itself is light but pushing it is great exercise.

GO PACK GO!

This weekend I'm rooting for the Hawks and the Pack. Seattle needs to get that monkey off their back from their earlier game this year so both teams need to win this weekend so they can play each other next weekend. Besides, I really really really dislike the 49ers (mostly Harbaugh although the 49ers are division rivals so I dislike them for that reason only). ;)

Reactions: Bare Lee
You do what you gotta do. I even rode shod back in the day!

IMG_0004.jpg

This weekend I'm rooting for the Hawks and the Pack. Seattle needs to get that monkey off their back from their earlier game this year so both teams need to win this weekend so they can play each other next weekend. Besides, I really really really dislike the 49ers (mostly Harbaugh although the 49ers are division rivals so I dislike them for that reason only). ;)
Yah, Harbaugh is pretty snotty. But I'm a division & conference loyalist, so I gotta support the Pack now that the Vikes are out, but if the Hawks and Pack meet next week, I may have to forgo my regional loyalties and root for your team, cuz I'm a kneejerk underdog rooter too.

Apologies for the highjack Big Joel, but it's our nature, right Nick? Can't be helped.

Reactions: NickW
Thanks everyone for the tips and the support. There is never a problem by me to chat about football on any thread!!! Unfortunately my teams are out (skins and browns ) so in just an interested spectator at this point. Haha

Congrats Joel! I have two boys ages 6 and 2 1/2. First it's good that you are getting out there running, to clear you head and get some exercise. PLUS you get some alone time, which is my favorite thing about running:)

You will fall into a routine eventually. I remember if one of my boys woke up at an odd hour say 4am, I would try to get him back down, and if successful I would just head out for a run. I would be exhausted but I still wanted to get my runs in.

Maybe getting a jogging stroller would be a good idea as well, once your girl is big enough for that. I ran often with both boys and it was always a fun thing to do. My 2 1/2 year old would rather push the thing now, so that is done with now.

\\No newborns, here (congrats!), and not that it's anywhere near that order of magnitude, but I have dealt with some chronic exhaustion.

What helps me:

1. Make your fitness(including rest) a priority. You need to stay healthy and happy for your baby. You need time to be away. Let some tasks go if they are not vital and don't feel bad about "keeping up" with everything.

2. Don't be hesitant to delegate tasks to others so that you can have a moment. Any inlaws/parents/friends nearby? Use them if they offer help.

3. Short, frequent exercise of any form, no guilt about the level of exertion. If it's an evening walk, it's still something. If it's 10 minutes of basic exercises, it's something. By frequent, I mean try to make a little time as often as you can (and preferably at a habitual time so you stick with it/arrange the baby care ahead of time), rather than ditch a run/workout simply because you won't be able to either set aside enough time, or because you are too tired to run. Walk a few minutes instead if you need to.

Reactions: rickwhitelaw
Hey everyone,

So my wife and I just had our first child a month ago, and have been totally occupied with all things newborn. Our baby girl is doing great, so as we move into the second month of being parents, I'm starting to get back out running a couple times a week.

Joel

Yes. Here's my advice for returning to running after having a child:

First, your bladder might not work as well as it did before. Wear black tights. It will get better. Or not, in which case, wear black shorts and tights.

Secondly, if your abdominal muscles haven't fused back together (diastasis recti), it might be a long road and you are just going to have to be patient, or you could end up with a hernia. Also, your core is going to be really weak after all the stretching. I recommend the MacMillan Runners core workout.... presuming you don't have diastasis recti. Have your ob/gyn check. He'll know how to do this.

Thirdly, if you're getting dizzy, have your doctor check your iron and hematocrit. This was a huge problem for me after I had my second child - I lost a lot of blood and needed to just wait. If you start bleeding again after the run, it's probably time to slow down.

Fourth - be sure you're taking a calcium supplement. The pregnancy and the nursing drain out your calcium, and you could end up with a stress fracture if you are deficient.

I didn't actually take up running again until after the little one came along, but I can agree with the sentiment that you've got to stay fit for 20 years plus.

I was a big fan of the long walk, and we pretty much carried our little girl everywhere rather than using a pram. That's good exercise, especially when they get to 3 years old and still say "Pick me up".