Form change seems to be helping IT band

C. Beth Run.

Barefooters
Jul 6, 2010
I really screwed up the ol' IT band a month ago when I decided I was awesome enough to run on it even though it hurt (for the last 8 miles of a 14 miler. Sigh.) Might have been worth it for a big race, definitely stupid for a training run. This time it's been harder to get past because I messed it up worse than I have in the past.

Anyway--I've brought my mileage way down, and I'm doing more consistent strengthening exercises (targeted & whole-body) at home. I'm also of course keeping up with my rolling. And I'm continuing to work to have a better running form.

I noticed on the stairs at home that if I do an exaggerated high-knee thing on the way down, my IT band and knee don't hurt. And a DailyMile friend pointed out that high knees also force you to land forefoot/midfoot. (I'm in Vibrams full-time right now because my forefoot seems to get bruised or something when I'm bare--and sometimes I heelstrike in Vibrams.)

So before I started my run this morning I did some high knee drills. Then during the run, I just focused on lifting my knees a little more than usual--nothing exaggerated, just a small change. It feels more difficult because it's not normally the way I run, and it'll take some time to train the appropriate muscles. But it seems to take most of the stress off my IT band. In fact, during my run today, my knee/IT band felt fine, though they were just a ltitle achy every time I stopped. I used my "walk breaks" to stretch and felt pretty good after the run.

I'm not sure why it works or even if it's considered "correct form," but if it's getting me past my persistent IT band issue, I'm sticking with it. My theory based on how it feels is that I'm using the BIG upper-leg muscles more (quads especially) and it's somehow taking some of the workload off of smaller muscles. I have no idea if that even makes sense from an anatomical standpoint, but that's how it feels--like those big muscles are doing their job, and making my leg more stable as I run.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Beth - I wonder if the high

Beth - I wonder if the high knee drills and picking up with your knees is just allowing you to land more centered under your body mass. My trainer informed me that my IT band issues were due to me landing too far forward of my mass. Funny, thing because I thought I was pretty centered. He had me do hopping drills on both feet and leaning with my hips to propel my body forward during the drills. This is the same movement that allows me to keep my body centered over my feet and I haven't had any IT band issues since. Also, I definitely think the rolling and stretching are SUPER key.

I think you found something

I think you found something that works for you, and whether or not it "looks" like correct form, it is correct form. My form would look pitiful at times should you see me running, I'm sure, but it works for me in that I am not suffering from running-related injuries. Due to the MN, I have to run in a way that prevents me from rolling onto my toes then lifting as you all can do. I have to lift my foot without the roll first. So, just because it may not "look" right, doesn't mean it isn't right.

I'm glad to see you are constantly and consistently persistent in working through this Beth. That shows you are a strong person.

zapmamak wrote:Beth - I

zapmamak said:
Beth - I wonder if the high knee drills and picking up with your knees is just allowing you to land more centered under your body mass.

That totally makes sense, Zap. Thanks!

Barefoot TJ wrote:I think you

Barefoot TJ said:
I think you found something that works for you, and whether or not it "looks" like correct form, it is correct form. My form would look pitiful at times should you see me running, I'm sure, but it works for me in that I am not suffering from running-related injuries. Due to the MN, I have to run in a way that prevents me from rolling onto my toes then lifting as you all can do. I have to lift my foot without the roll first. So, just because it may not "look" right, doesn't mean it isn't right. I'm glad to see you are constantly and consistently persistent in working through this Beth. That shows you are a strong person.

Thanks, TJ! I am going to have to remember your story as I work through this--I know at times it felt like you weren't going to be able to run again, but you were patient and it paid off. I'm wanting to do the same thing.

I was not able to run for 8

I was not able to run for 8 years because of ITBS. I did physical therapy with all sorts of deep tissue massage, stretching, strengthening, electical stim, etc - nothing worked. Not sure I have kicked that injury completely but I have not had any significant IT band discomfort while barefooting for the last 8 months or so. I definitely feel like this is because I went from heel striking (I had a massive stride) to a midfoot strike. I am going to agree with zap about landing closer to your center of mass - but you might be able to do it by bending your knees more as opposed to lifting your legs with your quads. Something to consider if your hip flexors start to get sore.

It makes sense from an

It makes sense from an anatomical perspective Beth. IT band pain can be caused by weak quad muscle, at least the inner quad...or at least an under-utilized one. You might have been coming down in your stride in a way that didn't involve your inner quads enough, and therefore put stress on your tendon. High knee exercises like the step-up and the lunge are ones that get your inner quad more involved. So I could see why it might take some pressure off your IT.

mykroberts--good idea! I used

mykroberts--good idea! I used to be great at bending my knees but I may have gotten lazy about it.

Christian--Cool, I'm glad to know there could be some real reason that this would work. Means it'll hopefully KEEP ON working!!

Just wanted to report back

Just wanted to report back that today I felt so much closer to "normal" than I have in the last couple of weeks. IT band felt good--slightly stiff afterward but nothing bad.

I think everything I'm doing is finally coming together to get me past this (hopefully for good; we'll see)...
  • Reduced mileage!!! Christian/saypay encouraged me that this was vital to his recovery, and I think it's made a huge difference for me. I have run about 5 miles/week for the last couple of weeks; this week it'll probably be more like 7 or 8. I was averaging almost 15 before.
  • Strengthening
  • Rolling (plus a little stretching, though I don't do a lot of static stretching)
  • Form change--which I think was the missing component and is now making such a difference
Pretty sure that next week instead of 2 to 2 1/2 mile runs I'll be back to my normal 5K route, and I'm expecting to be able to do longer runs again very soon...maybe by next weekend I can do 10K again?

C. Beth Run. wrote:Just

C. Beth Run. said:
Just wanted to report back that today I felt so much closer to "normal" than I have in the last couple of weeks. IT band felt good--slightly stiff afterward but nothing bad.I think everything I'm doing is finally coming together to get me past this (hopefully for good; we'll see)...
  • Reduced mileage!!! Christian/saypay encouraged me that this was vital to his recovery, and I think it's made a huge difference for me. I have run about 5 miles/week for the last couple of weeks; this week it'll probably be more like 7 or 8. I was averaging almost 15 before.
  • Strengthening
  • Rolling (plus a little stretching, though I don't do a lot of static stretching)
  • Form change--which I think was the missing component and is now making such a difference
Pretty sure that next week instead of 2 to 2 1/2 mile runs I'll be back to my normal 5K route, and I'm expecting to be able to do longer runs again very soon...maybe by next weekend I can do 10K again?
Oh Beth!! So glad to hear it!! Funny, your plan is EXACTLY the plan I've been on for the last 3 months or so with a whole lot of emphasis on strength training. I've been maybe averaging 3 miles/week. I'm feeling completely free of pain now and getting ready to sign myself up for a serious canyon run and a serious half marathon mountain run at the end of August. I'm a little nervous, but I think I'll be OK.

That's awesome, Zap!! And

That's awesome, Zap!! And your new Zensah products you won (which I'm totally bitter about--ha ha) may help even more. :)

Hi Beth, It's great to see

Hi Beth,

It's great to see you found a way to keep the pain under control. I know you had ITB problems even when running totally barefoot but for the benefit of others I would like to mention the following in this thread:

Consider incorporating a little bit of barefoot running into your routine. A challenging surface may even be better. I think it could help altering your form in a positive way. Just runa few yards on gravel and analyze how your form is different from your usual form.

Running on gravel forces you to bend your knees and lift your feet, using your upper leg muscles. If you get that form back into your muscle memory it will help even in your VFF runs.

Beth, your solution of lifting your knees seem to involve the same muscle and produce the same result. I hope you will soon be able to get back to your previous milage pain free. Congratulations for your perseverance.

Glad you're finding relief

Glad you're finding relief Beth! It does take a while to come around to the perspective of "rest first" for these injuries. But it's a lesson you won't soon forget!

C. Beth Run. wrote:That's

C. Beth Run. said:
That's awesome, Zap!! And your new Zensah products you won (which I'm totally bitter about--ha ha) may help even more. :)
Yup. And today I scored a deal on some merrell trail gloves which I can trash as much as I want and return if I don't like them. Looking forward to giving them a try as well.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7