Flat feet

Hobbit

Barefooters
Oct 20, 2012
France
Hello everybody,
I would like to have your input on the matter of flat feet.
Just to clarify: I don’t have flat feet, but sometimes, after hard runs, my arches are lower than usual.

What do you think about flat feet (= very low or nonexistent arches)?
Are flat feet bad? Do they cause problems for walking and running?
When I was three years sold I had my first pair of orthotics to prevent future flat feet.
When I was an adolescent I wasn’t allowed to wear flat soled shoes (like flip flops, espadrilles, Jesus-sandals etc.) because my mum feared I might get flat feet by wearing them. So it was only shoes with arch support for me until I discovered forefoot strike and barefoot.
If I’m correctly informed, the army does not accept people with flat feet.
Why is it that this condition is regarded as a bad thing by podologists, mums and the army? Is it just a kind of inconscious collective rejection of - what?

The other day, I read a post in the other place about ethnicity and flat feet: It seems that people of African, Asian, or Native American descent (I do hope this is the politically correct way to speak about them; if not, please forgive me!) have quite often flat feet, but this does not seem to be a disadvantage for being great barefoot runners, does it?
A flat foot seems to provide better traction on various grounds.

In terms of reflexology the whole body is represented on the soles of the feet: Walking or running barefoot is stimulating all organs and thus health in general. The region for the kidneys is found under the arch – so unless I’m coming (painfully) down on a stone, my kidneys are never stimulated. Could it be that flat feet are actually an advantage?

After a tiring run, my arches are lower than usual, as seen when I step out of the shower (wet test on the bathroom floor). Could it be, that the abovementioned flat soled shoes which are supposed to cause flat feet are only an indirect factor for this condition? Wearing Flip Flops or Espadrilles is more tiring for the feet than ordinary shoes – do feet become flat simply because they are tired?

Another thing is puzzling me: In shoe-shops they often confound flat feet (low or nonexistent arch) with pronation: the wet test is showing a flat foot, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that there is pronation as well, but anyway they’ll do everything in their power to sell you a shoe for pronators ….

i've been flat footed and pigeoned toed my whole life. that means my feet point inward towards each other and lean, a lot, inside. with now 3 years of min/bf running they have straightened out. the left foot turns out slightly. the right foot doesn't lean in as much but the left foot still does. i'm increasing my ankle strengthening exercises to help.

i'm not sure being flat footed will help you but it won't stop you from running. i just don't go too far. hope that helps a little.

I was always flat footed. Since I started running barefoot I have developed arches.
My dad is from South Africa, not sure if that means much...

Back when I was in the Army I had normal arches, but now according to the podiatrist and my general practitioner I have flat feet (collapsed arches). My right foot is flatter than my left foot. My right foot is the one that deals with bfr much much much better than my left. Not sure if it's the higher arch that causes the problem or if it's some other imbalance.

Thank you all for your input! :)
With this discussion I would like to look at flat feet from another angle than in the older thread. You can often read on barefoot blogs, in barefoot books or barefoot forum posts something like "I had flat feet and barefoot running cured me of that and now I have nice arches".
All good and well, but why are flat feet considered to be a condition that would need to be cured? I would think that with a flat foot you would have much more proprioception as the surface in touch with the ground is larger, you would be more able to feel the ground and react accordingly.
Why is the presence of arches considered to be "better" or more desirable than flat feet?
As far as I have read (and your answers seem to go in this direction as well), the absence of arches won't stop you running.
Or is there a possibility that there are different kinds of flat feet? Flat feet as a foot deformation (= medical condition) which is potentially painful (is it?) versus flat feet as morphological difference (= normal condition) present in people from another ethnic background?
Any ideas?
My arches became higher as well with barefooting, my feet are much stronger now, but more rigid as well and they often hurt at the multiple joints of the arch, as if the new arch wasn't the ideal form for my feet.

From Dr. Ray McClanahan blog (https://nwfootankle.com/correct-toes/101-common-myths):

Myth #5
"Flat" feet or high-arch feet are problematic. They must be managed with orthotics or other forms of arch support.
Myth Dispelled
Contrary to popular belief, in most cases, the height or length of the foot arch is not the issue. People can have optimal stride with either a high or a low arch. What's truly important, however, is the base of support. This support is naturally built into the foot, with the heel, forefoot, and evenly spaced toes serving as the ends of the arch. If this natural foot is able to walk without the confinement of narrow, rigid shoes, then external support devices, such as “arch support” insoles or orthotics are NOT required.

Foot%20Skeleton.png

I would have thought, like any muscles, the ones in the feet would get fatigued if you apply repeated loads if they are unaccustomed to this. If I took someone who has never done any gym work and told them to do 100 arm curls with a 10kg weight their arms would feel sore and tired and they probably couldn't move them for a week whereas I wouldn't even notice it. The same would apply to the feet. If you remove any work they have to do by putting orthotics under them they are going to be pretty weak at the end of it, I can vouch for that. I could hardly walk 100m barefoot after 9 years in orthotics. Now I can run long distance on all surfaces with no aid whatsoever.

Neil

Reactions: Hobbit and Sid

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7