First official 10k run

dutchie53

Barefooters
Nov 6, 2011
Winnipeg
Yup, my first 10k as a min shod runner. Ran the Airforce 10k here in Winnipeg today. My original thought that this would be my first barefoot 10k, but while I was out of town 1 1/2 weeks ago I ran up a hill that would never end. The way up was actually no problem, but the downhill killed my feet. 2 miles of downhill on chip-seal roads of Wisconsin, gave me a pretty decent blister to the point where it was still to sensitve to run on. It was okay for runs up to 3 miles, but any more left me on the tender side. The day of this Sundays 10k was cold, rainy and windy. A temperature of 9 celcius, winds of 35 km gusting to 60 km made for a interesting day. I felt sluggish running in Evos. I had not run in min shoes since the beginning of March and found my form off in the Evos today. I just decided to run nice and relaxed and not worry about my time. I finished the run towards the back of the pack with a unofficial time of 65 minutes. My son beat me by 10 minutes, I was proud of that effort as he had not run for 2 weeks other than his football games (he runs shod). I ran with a fellow at the start who was in vff's. He read the book and decided to switch to min shoes and barefoot. I cautioned him about TMTS, as he made this switch 2 months ago. Wished him luck and saw him at the finish but did not have a oppertunity to talk to him. While we were running I told him about this site so he could be better informed about the world of min and barefoot running. Also got passed by a young lady in vff's. She had her shins taped so with this I can assume that she too was in transition. She did have good form though, and ran decent too. ;) Legs felt a little tired but other than that no aches and pains. Next up is a Half on fathersday that one is planned for vff's, and the next 10k is in July and am planning to do that one in barefooted.

Reactions: Sid and Bare Lee
Good job, Dutchie!

Nice job =) :barefoot:
Looks like you have a lot of fun planned for this summer!

I have more 10k's planned for the fall. Most of the runs I do are usually with one or more of my kids. It is rewarding to see them go out and run as well. One of my girls who also runs in vff's tore her ACL in soccer last fall and had to miss this 10k. She is slated for a rebuild this July and is hoping to do a 10k by November. She was a little ticked by not being able to run this 10k. First time she has missed this one in the last 4 years.

65 mins for your first official 10k is great...congrats!
Good luck on your future races.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7