First BFR in the rain

ajw1970

Barefooters
Jun 29, 2011
Yesterday was my scheduled day for 8 miles in my half marathon training schedule. It was also a group run day with local friends. It was also a severe thunderstorm warning day and pouring outside as our planned group run time approached.

I was nervous and excited... my longest barefoot run so far had been 6 miles and my longest run in shoes last year was 8 miles so I'm reaching the point of being back on par but barefoot instead.... ready to set many new pr's!

My wife and I went out and met Barefoot Dama and her hubby at a local trail to run. The downpour let up as we got there and so it was just a nice rain while we ran. Dama and I bragged about how we weren't going to have wet shoes when we were done and we all took off.

While I normally run aerobically to build my base, when I'm with others I run faster and we ended up doing 4 miles at just over a 10 min mile pace in the rain. The pavement was a nice, smooth blacktop bike trail around a small lake. I was amazed by how good it felt. We were running on lots of soggy storm debris and it didn't even register or stick to my feet. Was a great run and we really enjoyed it. I won't fear the rain again.

I ended up going back out to that same trail later in the afternoon to finish my 8 miles and while jy feet were a bit tender from our earlier run, I reached my daily goal and put the 8 mile notch in my barefoot running belt.... my longest run next week will be 10 miles (3 of which will be at a local 5k I signed up to run.) After that, I should be able to get my miles in all at once until the half marathon on Oct 16.

Happy running!

Nice.  Say Hi to Dama for

Nice. Say Hi to Dama for me.

I find now that I will head out for a run because it's raining.

I can see that... I avoided

I can see that... I avoided running in the rain a couple weeks back when I have more flexibility in my schedule. I won't do that again. :)

Rain runs are awesome....some

Rain runs are awesome....some of the best running you can do.

The rain hasn't hit here yet TJ....i already ran today but look forward to a nice rain run tomorrow!!

Yea, I've only had barely

Yea, I've only had barely three rain runs myself this year. We are in another drought, and Georgia keeps letting the lake water through the dams to feed Florida and Alabama. The lakes are incredibly low. We're supposed to get some serious rain due to the hurricane. Hopefully, everyone will be safe. I just hope it hits after the Darkside Labor Day Marathon I'm volunteering for, so I can run in it too! I have to be there at 5:30ish in the morning, then I'm free after about 7:10.

I have to be extra careful to

I have to be extra careful to kepp from pushing off in the rain or I wear out my pads on the balls of my feet. I love summer rain runs. Fall and winter not quite so much.

I managed five miles tonight

I managed five miles tonight in the SPRINKLES! Pooh! There were lots of nice puddles though. Praying for some serious rain tomorrow. My feet seem to do pretty well in the rain. The rough stuff doesn't feel as rough to me. My pads felt nearly untouched after my run. I kept repeating from Ken Bob's book (since it was dark) lift before set down, bend, straight line; lift before set down, bend, straight line; lift before set down, bend, straight line... He says this is key for preventing the pads from wearing out. When he was here, I asked him to show me exactly what he meant by reverse-thrusters on the Space Shuttle. I mean I get that for the Space Shuttle and the Enterprise docking and all, and although I can imagine it while I see myself running in my mind's eye, it's a little tricky in real life. Yes, three years later, and I'm still experimenting with new things. Keeps it interesting anyhow.

I waited today till the rain

I waited today till the rain started in about noon...did 7 miles at an easy pace in a steady light rain at a local park...very nice run and only one other runner out...so many are missing out today!

I got another sprinkle run

I got another sprinkle run this morning, about five miles (during the marathon, I took a break). Then my neuromas started firing just at the time the rain started to come down nicely. Pooh!

I like running in rain but

I like running in rain but small dirt and sand sticks to my feel much more and I have to pay super close attention to my form or I push off and sand off the pads. There were a number of "nice" people along the coarse of the half marathon yesterday that had sprinklers setup. It felt good but slowed me down quite a bit. Water stops were the same way but they had the added benefit of gu to help the sand stick.

Ah, gu and sand.  What a nice

Ah, gu and sand. What a nice combination. ;-)

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7