Fibbing and lying

devilnuts

Barefooters
Feb 24, 2011
So Paul Ryan didn't just stretch the truth about his marathon time, he flat out lied about it. I still don't get how people can lie about something like that in this day and age and think they won't be revealed for a lying sack of crap? Mind you, this has nothing to do with his politics...just that he said he ran a 2:50-something marathon before. 2:50-something? If you are running a sub 3 hour marathon, you remember the seconds and fractions of a second on that...unless you are an extremely elite runner. Then you just say, "Eh, I had a slow day today...I only ran around 2:50-something." haha

I'm sure we've all exagerrated our times by saying something like that. I know I've said that my time was "in the upper 50's" about a 10K. It wasn't a lie...it was in the 50's...the very high 50's...But saying 59:48 wouldn't sound as good. Supposedly his time was over 4 hours. Even if you are the best mathemagician on the planet, you can't make 4 and change turn into a 2:50-something. HAHAHA.

So anyway, I thought I'd see what bending and stretching of the truth others have done. Don't be shy. I shared mine...hahaha.

First 10k I ran many moons ago was 59 minutes and 57 secs. I just tell everyone that I broke an hour for my first 10k. I also many moons ago broke 3 hrs for a full. 2 hrs 58 min and 52 secs. I still call it a sub 3 rather than narrate the time (sounds better that way). :)

OK, two things:

1) Re Paul Ryan - to your point, 2:5x;xx is a BQ time. I cannot think of a runner in the US that would run a BQ and not remember that (regardless of whether he actually ran Boston).

2) I haven't done any bending/stretching, but legitimate mis-remembering. I used to tell people that my marathon was 5:42:37; actually it was 5:39:53 (I think I was passed by someone that had no limbs). My first 10K (and most subsequent 10K's) hover around 1:02 (or 62, if you prefer), save for trail 10K's, which are in the 1:15 range.

I never lie. ;)

So what was his actual time?

4:01, Which isn't too shabby a time for your only marathon. That's what makes it so ridiculous. Then to say that you mis-spoke when you rounded? Not so much. There is a difference between spinning your time to sound better and flat out lying. hahaha.

As the John Stewart would explain, it goes with the mantra "We can change it" RNC
....the daily show is just great....

Glad I'm not a runner, after reading this article it sounds like an awful sport full of Internet weirdos and cheaters:p I am also totally never going to enter a race under my first name again.

You read it that fast? I haven't even finished reading it yet, I keep having to pick my jaw up off the floor.

Read it! Skimming-shmimming; I dropped out of grad school so I know how that works. It's a long article but it is completely outrageous. If it weren't creepy, and I were a runner, I would so be following that guy around to see how he did it.

All I can say is WOW!!!!!:eek:

Glad I'm not a runner, after reading this article it sounds like an awful sport full of Internet weirdos and cheaters:p I am also totally never going to enter a race under my first name again.

Wow...I wonder what color the sky is in his world? I mean, this goes beyond cutting a corner; this is systematically cheating (or gaming) the system for no real good reason. He's a pathological liar - even when confronted with photographic evidence, he continues to deny and come up with random explanations.

He's in an interesting spot, now. His name is out there enough that I wonder if he'll start being automatically locked out of races...

I read the entire thing. Hmmm...sounds like a lot of cheating. Why? He was probably running close to 3 hours as it was. That is fantastic! Why sully that for a few more minutes when you know you are going to get caught...they always get caught...hahaha.

Here is an interesting run time PR "calculator". HAHAHA. I love it. It even has different distances so if you don't have a marathon time, you don't have to feel left out.

http://www.paulryantimecalculator.com/

Reactions: dutchie53
Skimming-shmimming
Think of reading like drinking wine. With the good stuff, you want to savor every sip, each sip a revelation. With table wine, you just want the main points--fruity or spicy? strong or weak? etc. I doubt anyone who read the whole article will retain any more of it than I will in a few weeks' time.
Anyway, thanks for the link. It really made my day. I especially like the idea of some guy obsessively tracking him down, kind of like Inspector Javet.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon