Evolving form issue?

Jaybird

Barefooters
May 19, 2012
Hillsboro, OR
As Roseanne Roseannadanna would say "Its ALWAYS something"... It seems in the
last few weeks I've suddenly either slightly altered my form, or perhaps I've just
developed a new injury. But lately after a few miles I've started getting a soreness
in my right knee that was not happening before. It doesn't seem to me that I've
changed anything significant... so any advise on how to go about figuring this out?

At the very least its thrown a monkey wrench into my plans to run a half marathon
next weekend :oops: Much as I love doing it, it just drives me crazy sometime... sigh

A bit vague localizing it, around the outside front I'd say. And the only thing that seems
to cause it right now is the distance. Last weekend I ran with the chapter downtown, only
maybe 2.5 miles, so when I got back home I figured I'd run another 5. About 3 miles in
the knee pain started. I just rested Sunday. Yesterday I ran only a quick 2.5 and things
seemed ok, but today doing a 5K the pain came back. Just a couple weeks back I had
done 10 miles so this shouldn't be pushing it...

PS right knee

Jaybird,

So far it sounds like form related. Difficult to solve on forum....but perhaps you could describe in as much detail as possible your current perception of your technique? Tthis could lead to some possible changes that could help you.

Check your vastus lateralis muscle for trigger points (knots) and press gently on them with your thumb (flat side down) for about 1 minute, then a little hard for about one minute. Here is where the muscle is located vastus lateralis And here is a chart http://www.triggerpointmaps.com/tp_finder.html (click on the body part that hurts and then click on that muscle name and it will show you where those spots are located.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Thanks everyone for the replies. It seems like the outside, more to the side as Jason said. I
suppose the muscle you mention is possible Jen. I always seem to have trouble on my
right side, my arch/ankle get sore after a run, and it just takes me a day or more to have
it feel better, the left side does not seem to have the problem. I don't know what this area
soreness might have to do with that systemic weakness, but I could easily believe its related.

I've wondered all this season if its just me being new and weak, and it will get better, or is it
possibly a real physiological issue... Ever time I end a run sore I think I'll schedule an appt
with my GP or a podiatrist, but then it feels better in a day and I don't. Am I being stupid?

I do have a couple rollers, I've used them just a bit but never gotten into some habit of it.

I've recently become a convert to rolling/massaging: Foam roller (smooth and Rumble) for the upper leg; the 'stick' and Knobble/trigger wheel for the lower leg. I think you'll notice the difference. Like you, I never took this stuff seriously until I started to have inexplicable aches and pains as I upped my distances. Now I assume that it's muscle tightness/soreness before looking for alternative explanations possibilities, and that's usually it. Make sure to look into the ITBS (iliotibial band syndrome) possibility. I would bet at least even money that that is your problem.

Now I assume that it's muscle tightness/soreness before looking for alternative possibilities, and that's usually it. Make sure to look into the ITBS (iliotibial band syndrome) possibility. I would bet at least even money that that is your problem.

Yes. Whenever I used to get aches and pains, I always immediately thought it was an injury. In time, I have found that the answer to most aches and pains usually turns out to be more simple than I thought - and almost always a trigger point. And the "type" of pain can also fool you. I had a pain in my foot once that felt like a horrible bruise. It still turned out to be knotted muscles.

Reactions: Bare Lee

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7