Dog endurance

NotSoDoomedRunner

Barefooters
Apr 27, 2011
I had my dog running 5 miles easily a few months ago. Then she had foot surgery for a tumor. I got her back into it and up to 6. I had her take just a week off and she can barely make 3 at a decent pace now and 6 is so slow. Do they lose their endurance way faster?

It's possible she lost her

It's possible she lost her endurance, but maybe she's in pain. After all, she did just have surgery on her foot. Even if she is all healed up, she may just not be the same. Maybe she has scar tissue that causes her pain. I don't run as fast when the pain from the neuromas start to show up. I also keep thinking about what I learned from reading BTR about animals only being able to run for shorter distances at a time than us. Do you feel maybe a vet visit is in order? Whether the dog is ill or not, they can always answer any questions you might have.

Yeah. I think I'll give it

Yeah. I think I'll give it another week and if things stay the same, I may take her in. I'll feel around on her paws tonight to see if she reacts. Maybe a day at the spa is in order for her this weekend.

Barefoot TJ wrote:It's

Barefoot TJ said:
It's possible she lost her endurance, but maybe she's in pain. After all, she did just have surgery on her foot. Even if she is all healed up, she may just not be the same. Maybe she has scar tissue that causes her pain. I don't run as fast when the pain from the neuromas start to show up. I also keep thinking about what I learned from reading BTR about animals only being able to run for shorter distances at a time than us. Do you feel maybe a vet visit is in order? Whether the dog is ill or not, they can always answer any questions you might have.

The other logical option is that she might have been reading the Maffetone thread when no one was paying attention and liked what she learned. Go slower and easier. On the other hand, you're probably right.

Speaking of spas, what about

Speaking of spas, what about massaging that area of her foot? Perhaps look ups some how to videos and ask the vet. I've heard great things about massage therapy for animals.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadashi jon