Does anyone run a combination of shod and bare?

Stoplookinatme

Barefooters
May 20, 2012
I told myself I would try this barefoot thing for a year as an experiment to see what happens. For a full year I ran only with barefeet. I accomplished my first goal, logging in close to 500 miles barefoot, running and walking. I am still not where I was as far as pace or distance, before taking the plunge, but I am starting to see the light.

My goals have now changed a bit. My new ones are simply:

1) Have fun running
2) Stay healthy and injury free.
3) Run fast.

So here is my question. Does anyone else with similar goals use a combination of shod and bare to meet them? If so do you see a difference in race times when you go shod vs barefoot? In my opinion, this would only be valid if you have been switching back and forth during the same timeframe.

Thanks,
Jim

Reactions: Sid
i have similar goals. have fun. run. stay injury free. get faster and stronger. i use huaraches as i need them. i used them in a race last week and they changed my stride a little.i have some trail gloves but have worn them only twice this year. they did allow me to go a bit faster than i might have if i raced bare. damn people added lots of gravel to the trail.

Reactions: Twisty
Lately, for craps and laughs, I have been mixing it up between barefoot, Luna Original Sandals and trail gloves depending on where I am running and other considerations (i.e. I didn't want to burn my feet on the pavement again this year). To be fair, I am just not up to the "Run fast" criteria you presented; however, I am running progressively faster as I progress with Maffetone's method.

Reactions: zapmamak
I am a combo BF/min runner for about a year and a half. I don't think there is any difference in race times between BF and min. I ran a BF half at 1:53:21 and a min half at 1:54:04 on a slightly more difficult course in a miserable downpour. I call it even. I also ran a 24:51 5K min and a 25:08 BF with no training(still running regularly but no speed work to prepare). Still pretty even.

I started with slower paces and shorter distances. I ran a BF 10 miler after 6 months and a BF half after 7 months and a BF full after 10. I don't know when I got back up to speed/distance, but the race times were much faster than before I started BF/min(well over 2 hr. half) even though I had to slow down considerably for several months. I think there are 2 main factors in getting up to pace and mileage more quickly. First was a major focus on form. Second, probably a result of the first, was zero missed or reduced workouts due to injuries or sore muscles. Before starting BF/min, I would always be sore after even a 4 or 5 mile run and constantly icing the muscles. I would get injuries that could put me out from a few days to a full week. After BF/min/form focus, I can run a 20 mile training run with no icing and have no trouble with a 6 mile recovery run the next day at a normal training pace.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Yup, I use my VFF Bikilas for races and trail runs on a fairly regular basis. I prefer to run BF, and do most of my training runs so. I even just carry my Biks on some training runs to go from paths to rough trails.

Unlike RBondi, I run considerably faster on both trails and roads in my Biks, especially when those surfaces are relatively rough. No way am I even aspiring to doing a technical trail run BF - I've seen pics of the result and it ain't pretty. On the other hand, I am doing my first BF 10K next month on roads. That's partly to keep me from going too fast, as I have a more important and longer race the following weekend.

Reactions: happysongbird
I run mostly shoed but now and the i run a couple of km barefooot. I love the feeling but in denmark it cause trafik accident and so on :D when peope run barefoot so nomaly i stick to my VVB neo og merrell road gloves.

I know going totally barefoot would be better but ...

I have always run a combination of barefoot and shod, for almost 4 years now. I prefer to be completely bare foot but there are those times I like having a little added protection, trail running mostly. For me the Invisible Shoe is perfect. It is so light and almost "not there" that I feel I get all the benefits of being totally barefoot. Because the feedback is so good they really help me perfect and refine my form. They allow my foot to work in the most natural way, more so than other shoes I have tried. I have run in the Merrill Trail Gloves but feel like my form suffers, as I can't feel what is going on. I can say the same for the VFFs i have tried. What can I say? Invisible Shoes are the clear choice.

Reactions: happysongbird
I switch from barefoot to shod as well and I have the exact same goals.

I have only run a couple races barefoot so there's not much comparison since they were completely different monsters than the races I do shod. I DID notice that my times for my barefoot road races were greatly improved from since before I was running barefoot but not as fast as it probably would have been in minimal shoes or my huaraches.

I run barefoot for fun and as a way to strengthen my feet. But I need to push my body and heartrate for my training (in order to improve my speed) more than what barefoot allows me to do. For this reason I do all my speedwork in my Road Gloves - or if on trail - in my Pace Gloves. Also, most of the races I run are on pretty brutal trails that I would definitely have to take a little more time on barefoot. I simply just don't want to do this. Now that I'm able to run again without ITB and all that other crap I want to RUN! I have finally found my happy!! :)

I mix it up on the longer runs in order to maintain CV conditioning. Though I am now considering converting to a more moderate shoe (not quite minshoe, but less than what I have now, sole-wise). I am careful to watch that I don't ooze back into heel striking while shod...

I don't have goals when it comes to running, not anymore at least. Call it getting older and just not caring but I have definitely chilled out when it comes to running. I do it because I enjoy it, and it is fun. I will never turn to shod again, I enjoy running without shoes to much. This barefoot thing started as an accident. I ran 18 years shod and 3 years ago I ran barefoot around my block and was in awe of how comfortable it was. I have to resort to footwear in winter at times, and it truly sucks. No wonder Ken Bob moved to California.

So, I dusted off the Aqua Lites to work on the aerobic base and add some mileage to burn off a few pounds. I usually don't run 2 days in a row anymore and was a bit amazed that my pace was a bit faster than yesterday, when I went barefoot. Definitely noticed that I didn't have to be as attentive to form, with regard to foot placement, and was able to power through a bit more.

I suspect that footwear allows one to get away with less than perfect form, possibly at the expense of increased risk of injury over time. I'm thinking that might be why shoe manufacturers make overcushioned shoes, so that people with poor form can run in them. For example, as shown by the recent Olympics, Nike clearly knows how to make racing shoes, but I'm guessing they make most of their money on the mass market overcushioned stuff.

My goals have now changed a bit. My new ones are simply:

1) Have fun running
2) Stay healthy and injury free.
3) Run fast.

Thanks,
Jim

Sweet goals. I like the first two. Run for FUN. Run for HEALTH. Einstein was right, speed is relative. (my fast may be your slow as molasses).

I mix up barefoot and minimalist. I gave up foot anchors 3 yrs ago.

Reactions: Barefooting Bob
I'm thinking that might be why shoe manufacturers make overcushioned shoes, so that people with poor form can run in them.

This is actually backward. Manufacturers make cushioned shoes because of demand. That demand seems to be caused by a few factors.
  • Many running stores don't educate customers about running form, nor do many customers want to learn about running form.
  • Big box retailers like Walmart just put stuff out on the shelf without guidance, and Joe Public picks out the most comfortable (cushioned) pair.
  • Cushioned shoes have a useful purpose, so some use them appropriately while understanding the tradeoff (protection at the expense of ground feel). For runners that don't use "feel" to monitor form (i.e.- non-barefoot runners), it's not a big deal. We're somewhat crippled by our need for tactile feedback.
The most effective solution seems to be educating the public, which then demands gait education from retailers. Over the last six months, I haven't seen a single running specialty store that doesn't offer some sort of good form clinics. That's a MAJOR shift from a few years ago.

I don't have goals when it comes to running, not anymore at least. Call it getting older and just not caring but I have definitely chilled out when it comes to running. I do it because I enjoy it, and it is fun. I will never turn to shod again, I enjoy running without shoes to much. This barefoot thing started as an accident. I ran 18 years shod and 3 years ago I ran barefoot around my block and was in awe of how comfortable it was. I have to resort to footwear in winter at times, and it truly sucks. No wonder Ken Bob moved to California.

+1 except I ran for 35 years in shoes...

The most effective solution seems to be educating the public, which then demands gait education from retailers. Over the last six months, I haven't seen a single running specialty store that doesn't offer some sort of good form clinics. That's a MAJOR shift from a few years ago.

This is certainly happening in NYC.

A couple of years ago I went to a Ken Bob clinic in Central Park and every few minutes he'd have to pause while a shoal of heel-striking shoddies went by, 30 yards away, drowning out his words. These days, whilst heel-strikers are still the majority, many more people are running very quietly and efficiently in shoes.

I'm more likely to be deafened by someone who is still heel-striking in minimalist shoes as they try to adapt to a "pancake flat" landing.

This is actually backward. Manufacturers make cushioned shoes because of demand.

Actually, manufacturing is a two-way street. Producers can induce demand. Vibram created their market. Consumers weren't clamoring en masse for freaky toe shoes.

Others include Apple iPod, iPhone, iPad, Macbook Air, Xbox, PS3, Wii, Pharmaceuticals, Gilette Fusion, Air Jordans, Nike Air, Nike Shox, Jimmy Choo, etc.

Oftentimes, consumers don't know what they can't live without, until companies show it to them. Unfortunately, most athletic shoe companies are still showing overcushioned shoes. If they were advertising Bolt's Pumas or Nike's Olympic running shoes, people would buy them. People would get injured from bad form and sue, but nonetheless people would buy them.

That means the manufacturers are just lazy. Galahad Clark tries to educate people. He could have just gone on with the family tradition. Nike had to educate people on Bowerman's waffle-iron shoes. And yes, Barefoot Ted.

Volvo goes out of their way to educate people on car safety.
www.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/automobiles/tougher-crash-test-brings-lower-scores.html

Sure, consumers are ignorant. Laziness is still no excuse.

Edit: Then again, give the public what they want. You're right, sometimes people just won't be convinced.

It's not about laziness; it's about making a product that will sell. Some companies try to influence consumer behavior with education (like all the minimalist manufacturers), but if people don't buy the products, they die.

Instead of speculating on the corporate motives of the Brooks Beast, actually go out and teach people about the merits of barefoot running, better running form, and minimalist shoes. That'll probably have a much greater impact on consumer behavior and the footwear market than preaching to the choir on a barefoot forum.

Reactions: NickW and Sid
It's not about laziness; it's about making a product that will sell.
Actually, I was agreeing with you at the end of my last post!

If we want to get specific, we could blame the shoe buyers at the retail level.
I had posted a rant about the obesity epidemic and how people are resistant to changing behavior. If people won't/can't change their behavior to save their lives, it's going to be a tough sell to convince them to worry about proper form. Not that it can't be done, but will be a very tough sell.

Reactions: NickW and Lomad

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7

Latest posts