Disappointment at Boston (re: minimalist/barefoot)

jschwab

Barefooters
Jun 16, 2010
Not sure what I expected, but spectating the Boston Marathon today I was kind of shocked to only see one person in VFF's, one in huaraches and one barefoot, and those all could have been bandits (didn't see bibs anywhere). I did not see the whole race (left at 1:30 or so) and maybe there were more coming up the rear, but I barely even saw anyone in Frees or Kinvaras or other reduced shoes. Some of the faster folks weren't even wearing racing flats, though clearly they were running Trials-eligible times. I guess because in Philly I mostly see minimalist shoes of some kind or another on runners, I expected there to at least be quite a few VFF runners and most in Frees or other such shoes, but it was clodhoppers all the way.

I am not evangelical about minimalist/bare, but it does give me pleasure to see the trend taking over the running scene, for all kinds of reasons. Just disappointed, I guess...

Anyone know who the barefooter was? Guy, European-descent, maybe late 20's to mid-30's,

That was probably the caveman

That was probably the caveman on Runner's World. I think I saw that he came in around 3:39.

It wasn't Glen - Glen must

It wasn't Glen - Glen must have come round a bit later after we left for our train. But, yeah, let's all congratulate Glen - he had a nice time, in addition to representing for the barefoot folks!

A woman, 44 years old, named

A woman, 44 years old, named Theresa Withee of Maine, ran Boston barefoot today in just over 4 hours. She may be the first woman to do so. I spoke to her on the phone today and am in the process of interviewing her for the site. Stay tuned.

Yes, and in less time than

Yes, and in less time than she completed Boston.

Here's some footage including

Here's some footage including "our" Barefoot Caveman, Glen Raines from the Boston Marathon: http://www.boston.com/sports/marathon/blog/2011/04/the_boston_marathon_finishing.html

Gentile, I think I just

Gentile, I think I just didn't stick around long enough to see more barefooters. I was at mile 23 and I left around 1:30 so I missed alot of the racers. I missed Glen and probably a whole bunch of others. I was not so disappointed in not seeing more barefooteers, just thought I would see more minimalist shoes and VFF's.

I just checked the results

I just checked the results and man....Kenya and Ethiopia have a monopoly on the finish line. And that's for the men and women too. Are they that good?

Hi guys, thanks for the

Hi guys, thanks for the congrats! I had a terrific race and was right on target with my planned pace. I'll be putting out my final Boston Bound series blog soon to report on the race. Barefoot TJ posted the link to the interview. It was pretty kewl also making it into the Boston globe and Boston herald newspapers today. It was truly the funnest time I have ever had in a race, despite my knee injury. I am so freakin happy right now!

Glen. - if you have time,

Glen. :) - if you have time, please explain the bones around your neck. I saw it on your blog post and thought it was the coolest story. Cograts on your excellent race!

Congrats big time, Glen! 

Congrats big time, Glen! Please send me your report, and we'll add it to the front page to summarize the Boston Bound series you've created.

Thanks jscwab and Barefoot

Thanks jscwab and Barefoot TJ! There were actually two sets of bones around my neck. The inner set was Mike's bones, from a jaw bone condition called tori. Unfortunately, this set rolled over to the back of my neck so you couldn't see it at the finish line. The outer set was just a collection of probably a chicken bone and some shells.

TJ, I'm working on the final Boston Bound article this afternoon so hopefully I'll have it to you in the next couple days.

Here is a pic of the tori bones...

cavemanrocks2.jpg

Why do you have a towel

Why do you have a towel around your forearm?

My friend answered that

My friend answered that question perfectly on facebook "Love the primitive iPod arm band, I remember Betty used to wear one jogging with Bam Bam."

lol, I needed it to cover over my iphone which tracked my race on runkeeper

I see.  And it goes with your

I see. And it goes with your tan so well. Next time, you can get some faux leopard skin cloth material to use.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7